10 best metal drummers, according to Music Radar

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Dark Lizardro, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Alert likes this.
  2. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

It's not an all time greatest article. I think it's just based on drummers who have been somewhat trending lately.

I'm glad Tomas Haake is in there though. I'm pretty sure my neck will double in size if I keep on listening to 'Bleed'

3. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

what the world, i replied to this thread, and now its gone. you ever have that, lost time? its nonsense except for those that actually are afflicted, they lose long periods of time, during which they either vanish completely and wake up in the middle of nowhere, or they do tons of stuff, but its not them controllinhg the human you see on a random cctv recording driving to somewhere or some other extremely deliberate activity, theyre not wobbly or floundering, and i say that because i know what youre thinking. that weve all been there and done that, and there is nothing mysterious about it, a bottle of vodka and some rohypnol and you wont remember a single solitary thing, but you will have been up to alot of shit, some of it quite outlandish and uncharacteristic, to the point that you simply wont believe what theyre saying you did, because it is so over the top and i dont mean in a good way. those nights have a tendency to get really unseemly. dont make me post an example.
    or if youre practicing MMA and cant remember the drive home. thats not a ufo dude. you took a few too many punches to the head is all.

i cant think of any, right off the bat, like that (as it were) but frost is basically the be all end all metal drumming, he is truly a proper conservatory type musician. oh and burzums drumming is, how do you say, genre defining. abbaths drumming, he did the entire "northern darkness" record, grimm wasnt actually on there, but they credit him to honor his family since hes dead.

4. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Those lists.. :rolleyes:

5. Dark Lizardro

The problem with Burzum is that Varg can't properly play the drums. But this isn't a bad thing, because it fits the style of bm he makes. I'm with you, in parts, when you say about Frost. I believe that in a showdown, Hellhammer would still be the best around, but with a small advantage. His work on the Mediolanum Capta Est is exceptional. And also his work on Dimmu Borgir's In Sorte Diaboli is the best extreme metal drums I've listened in a while. Listen to the track "The Chosen Legacy". His footwork is out of this world. really, I've never seen a drummer playing the double bassdrum that fast.

But, back to the list: Is Joey a good drummer? Yes, he is. But I think he lacks the "feeling" of a drummer and how his drums should sound. I can tell when Dave Lombardo is playing, I can tell when Hellhammer is playing, I can tell when Mike Portnoy is playing. But I can't tell when Joey is playing. He doesn't have hia style, imo.

6. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Talking about feeling

Craig Nunenmacher´s drumming on this album rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  7. Dannyboy93

Dannyboy93 EL CAPITAIN

Dave McClain, Dan Searle, Chris Adler and Arin IIjay are all good shouts but I agree the rest is bullshit. Surprised John Boecklin didn't make the cut but most of the list is bullshit. The rev is still one of the best drummers of all time for me though, also a great song writer he came up with afterlife and almost easy to name a few, RIP :lighter:

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah Arin IIjay shouldn't be second but still in top 10 IMO

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  8. Dark Lizardro

May I ask how old are you?

9. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

Did the drummer of soulfly make it. That dude is bad ass.

10. Dannyboy93

Dannyboy93 EL CAPITAIN

21 mate, probably not the view of a true metal head but I only delve into it now and again, got any suggestions of good metal bands send them my way I'm all ears

11. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

I´ll just leave this here too

12. Dark Lizardro

Yeah, at 21 you fit just fine in what I was about to say: normally, people who are more young, or aren't that much into metal end up liking the bands that are more "commercial", like A7X, Slipknot and such. I'm not saying those bands are bad (well... most of them are), but The Rev, Joey, and this other guy who I can't remember his name, they were pretty much influenced by Neil Pearth, Dave Lombardo, Lars Ulrich (yes, why not?) and others.

- - - Updated - - -

Also... Gene Hoglan:

Dannyboy93 likes this.
  13. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

I didn´t listen to any Ff since Demanufacture but I´m not surprised the drums still sound like a computer :teeth:

14. logikz

i thought maybe you were trying to be contentious (as per usual) deeguns, but i think theyre supposed to sound like a computer, much of those sequences are probably triggered. damn fine tune.

15. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Actually I was referring to a Burton C Bell quote about the neverending rumours regarding Ff using a drumcomputer but hey.

Keep talking kibosh (as per usual)

16. Dark Lizardro

Can you two stop? Or I'll have to punish you for your bad behavior. GOSH!

Fear Factory used a drum machine for their latest album "The Industrialist" (as Deegun said). The rumours always said that they don't even needa drummer, because of the style of their sound (as Carl said). In fact, Bell gave an interview regarding why they didn't put Hoglan behind the drum kit for this album, and why they chose to use a drum machine instead. Obviously, he affirmed that their style of metal NEEDS to sound as more mechanical as possible, and that people don't even know how much of post-processing they have done on the drums for years, since the conception of the band. They've done that for Herrera, they have done that for Hoglan, and they're doing it now for Mike Heller.

Still, this doesn't take the credits off from all those drummers, specially Hoglan. just listen to his work on the band Death and you'll know what I'm saying about.

17. logikz

i love how in rock-talk midi programmed drums are a 'drum computer' or a 'drum machine'. its never simply programmed drums with samples in midi, like it is in every other genre.

the point of talking like that is to take away all sense of musicianship and creativity from anything that doesnt use a live drummer, and even then, it should by all rights be on an acoustic drum kit, because triggering is suspect of being machine drums.

i wonder if they got their drummer to program the drums , that would be funny if they did

18. Dark Lizardro

No. On the sleeve of The Industrialist album, the credits for the programming goes to Dino Cazares and another dude that I don't know who is.

To be honest, before venturing into the electronic music scene, I used to think like that. That triggers did all the job, and that drummers using it weren't good. And now I see how it's possible to achieve very "organic" drums without a drummer.

And this made me remind a video recorded by the drummer of Nargaroth (well, the one who recorded the album Jahreszeiten), where he replicated the drums on the song "Frühling" because people were saying that he didn't play drums at all on the album.

19. logikz

Whoa. Nargaroth has a drummer?? I thought it was just that guy. That does strange meta bm themed songs. I thought he was so bent on being secret circle bm that he did the one man band thing by default. The way they talk about programmed or rather sequenced stuff in metal is soooo weird. Really uninformed. Stupid. I can crush the "sequenced music is non-music" in a breath. I think anyone can, it's that stupid.

link the vid btw

20. Toejam

Toejam OOOBEY DOOBEY

Yeah man, dude kicks ass, thats drummers do right, some of these comments you'd think it was a jazz contest