.02 DNBFORUM ALLSTARS COMP - ROUND1&2 MIXES

Wheeey Mr. Goody 2 shoes spoke too soon.

Now sit down with your face firmly pushed into your palms.

At least I kind of followed the rules Dave unlike yooo.

YOU CANT JUST FLY THROUGH LIFE AS SOME KIND OF MAVERICK, YOU NEED TO TAKE SOME RESPOSABILITY MAN!

well
i m awaiting scubas votes
but i know most of the results

currently two ties, with 2 battles ;)

and there is so much feedback ! insane

man makin the votes was hard, had to propa knit pick to find a winner....i reallt enjoyed listenin to em all, even tho now i reckon i a sing "spor-silver spaceman" absolutly perfectly as it was in nearly every mix i think hahaha....its still a beast tho.

man makin the votes was hard, had to propa knit pick to find a winner....i reallt enjoyed listenin to em all, even tho now i reckon i a sing "spor-silver spaceman" absolutly perfectly as it was in nearly every mix i think hahaha....its still a beast tho.

haha I thought exactly the same thing. All good though! Big up to all who entered this, gotta say I was impressed with theses mixes (y)

ROUND 2 BATTLES:
NOIZE VS RIISU
NUERA VS CONTROLLER
KEMZINO VS GLOXXY
OBLIVION VS PISTACHIO

*15 - 20 MINUTES LONG - 2 LABELS FROM THE LIST ( CAN BE REUSED LABELS BUT BE CREATIVE )
** TWIST – INCLUDE A SONG THAT DEFINES THIS YEAR FOR YOU.
*** DUE THE 25TH OF JUNE

You guys have no idea how close the votes came to that I had to make a decision to let Kemzino into the next round even tho Noize won by only ONE vote. I did this because Noize won but he did not follow the rules twice, not really fair on Kemzino. This worked out perfectly because now I have an even number of opponents. Also Nuera vs Flicky was close, Nuera only won by ONE vote but I know Flicky is going away on holiday and I didn’t want him to do a quick mix. Im sorry Flicky, your mix was sick, and I would really like for you to join the next month comp.

Thanks to all the judges who have spent SO MUCH time writing down their thoughts on your mix. BIG UP to them. We all thought the mixes were amazing and hopefully you guys will learn from all this feedback.

MIX CONTROLLER:
.01| Controller put in a really nice mix nice mixing and tracks, but it lacked the "battle essence" maybe some harder hitting tracks would have been better.
.02| Didn't really feel like a battle mix in parts of it
Intro was a tad shaky.
.03| Another good mix, as it stands, personally I am not into these types of tunes, not enough “umph” fro me, not really stood out for me to get “fuck me that’s soundin’ BIG!” but another good mix, its jus down to my own personal preference.
.04| Excellent blends throughout ,Really like how he's covered all styles.
Good beatmatching and equing for the most part .Structure of the mix was spot on .
.05| A very well flowed mix going on, this had a good vibe. Liked most of the drops, and thought that your selection was top notch. A few EQing problems here and there, but mostly held together really well.

(y) 's: Good selection. Bang on tight mixing. Good variety and used them well to structure the set.
(n) ’s: Even though they sound good together, I wouldnt have used 'Taken' with 'The Great DnB Swindle', purely because I would have used something with the same drum pattern as Taken, had that off snare sound. (But as I say, im having to be really picky here because its hard to find faults in these)

MIX RIISU:
.01| Riisu......well i had to start this about 3-4 times when first heard it, it was full guns blazing all the way through and really took the battle theme on, best mix out of the lot.
.02| From the start it felt like a battle mix.
Strong impact mixing and really good equing
Very tight set and always kept me guessing what was coming next.
Selection right across the board.
.03| Best tune selection. Full Marks for the Signal mix (this is an extremely difficult tune to double drop.) A cut from OS d for danger to Jenna G In love was a too sharper cut, but more than made up for it with the DD with in love and spineline-backdoors.
A boss mix, good mixing, some mixed could have been EQed slightly better but I loved the track list, classics all day, just how I like it.
.04| I thought the this mix was pretty good, it had what most the other mixes lacked and that's variety. Some selection for double drops that complemented each other. Sounded a little out when you brought in "D for Danger", but everything else sounded spot on.

(y) 's: Good selection. Bang on tight mixing. Loved the way the different styles were patterned out through this set. Worked very well.
(n) 's:Maybe wouldnt have used Clarets March with Signal, because of the off sounding snare, but its no big deal.

MIX MISH MASH:
.01| Mishmash, poor fella got stuck in between these two big dj's, tried a couple of big drops in this mix but some clashed, valiant effort for a newcomer but didn't have the same quality as the other 2 mixes.
.02| Pretty tidy intro. Beatmatching wasn't too bad for the most of it. Personally like a lot of the tunes included.
.03| 1st mix belter, 2nd mix belter, 3rd mix belter and so on and so forth, mish mash is killin it all the way through with big ass tunes and huge double drops.
Overfiend>>>The Beginning>>>Alien Girl, possibly the best mixing I have heard so far.
Loved this mix, loved every mix, loved the T/L, caters for every sort, well done, u have jus killed it.
.04| Good effort mix, afraid there were a few too many clangs. You did have some spot-on drops, and I liked the tune selection, but it didn't outweight the other two in the battle mixes.

MIX NUERA:
.01| Thought this was really good, you got out of your comfort zone and played tracks I didn’t think youd play. Well done.
.02| Wicked tune selection, nice and grimey.
Big intro, really worked well
Beatmatching was completely solid through out. Sick mix!
.03| One or two of the mixes were a bit iffy
Teeny bit of eq work as some of the mixes didn't come through clearly, but nothing major.
.04| All in all an excellent mix by a very talented DJ. I personally am not a huge fan of most of the tunes that were played, but the tight fast mixing held it together and kept me wanting to listen…pure grime from start to finish, great mix.
.05| Nice little mix going on, I thought most of the 20mins were well performed. Enjoyed the drop with "Is it worth it" with "Same old Blues", but noticed slight problems with leveling when you brought in "Nightflight".

(y)'s: Good intro. Powerful tunes. Good track listing. Good mixing.
(n) 's:The tune coming into the one already in would generally just come in before the drop on most mixes, would have liked to hear longer blends abit.

MIX FLICKY:
.01| At times got kinda bored as it was lacking energy in places.
Wasn't a fan of some of the tunes (Crap reason. lol)
.02|[/B] This is not a bad mix by a long stretch, the T/L is absolutely class, just the EQin let it down a bit, some mixes were very noticeable. But in all, another excellent mix.
.03| Great mix. Good choice of intro tune, which I think is always a must to draw listeners into the mix. EQing sounded good, blending was well executed, not much to fault at all.

(y)'s: Good track selection. Good mixing. Bit more variety in this one. Good classic track. Very professional mix all round. Clean solid mixing throughout which made it very enjoyable. The blends were wicked and one mix I liked in particular was Icicle - Infectious Funk / Break - Chaos Theory
(n) 's:The intro was out of bar. The track that comes in is a bar early and sounds abit weird. (Which without sounding too harsh is quite bad because this is the first thing you hear).

MIX GLOXXY:
.01| Tune selection was so good, really appealed to me! Also the mixing was really good, really nice to hear mistabishi!
.02| Gloxxy, this was a great mix i really liked the tracks and the mixing was tight, didn't know this was gloxxy when i heard this and made my decision, he is becoming one of my favourite forum dj's.
.03| Has done something with the 1st tune that member F didn’t, get my attention, and made my head nod.Lenzmen-emeralds>>>>Logistics-together…Phat mix…erm…bo!
Big mixes throughout, tight constantly.
Thought this mix was killer, I enjoyed ti more then the other, I found the other to be a bit too continous and nothing really stood out about the mix apart from the good mixin.
.04| A personal favorite of mine, this mix bursted with orginality. Loved the intro, and the switches between "Camera" and "Let it Happen" were awesome. The EQing was crisp and the tunes were blended really nicely together. Looking forward to hearing more from Gloxxy in the second round.

(y) 's: Nice intro, nice vibe too it, and I like what they've done with Break - Let it Happen with it.
Good selection of tracks here.Generally nice work of teasers. Mixing pretty good.
(n) 's: Don't like how first tune goes into Alix Perez - Crooklyn, after the blend it just cuts into it. Could have maybe picked up the vibe abit after the first tune? (Maybe thats just me though?) Didn't really like the flow of the last 3 tunes with each.

MIX WELLSY:
.01| Wellsy, this mix was quite average really, some nice mixing but needed some oompf! needed some more tracks chucked in and lacked the battle theme.
.02| The atmospheres in the mix were to die for. this is probably the mix that i listened to most.
.03| Again, flawless mixin, Great EQing, Really nice chilled liquid mix. Really nice mix, good selection from each label.
.04| A very decent mix. Hardly ever heard any clangs and tunes seemed to blend well together. Good Selection. Although I thought the drop at the intro had too much going on and seemed a little too bassy, which was your only flaw.

(y) 's: Good tight mixing. Good tracklist. Nice vibe and flow to the whole mix
(n) 's:Could have maybe played abit more different tracks instead of keeping it one level.
Not sure if Reality Checkpoint would class as a Classic.

Last edited:
MIX SAINT:
.01| Saint, very short tracklist!! would like to have seen more tracks on this.Some nice mixes in spots, and had a fairly decent intro, thats all i can say really, seemed a bit half arsed effort wise.
.02| Overall a good mix, the drums sounded a little clangy in places but nothing too noticable, and the recording seemed quite distorted, might of been because it was 192kbps. This mix had a nice flow to it, quite dark and techy. 320kbps in the next round and I think you'll do well.

(y) : Nice track selection. Nice vibe of the mix, and not bad mixing

(n) : Thought could have built the teaser up with the first tune instead of using it how they did. Nothing major though. I Heard abit of clangage when Silver Spaceman came in.

MIX OBLIVION:
.01| Dj oblivion, nice big tracklist! i think he had the battle theme in mind but it didnt deliver, it went a bit all over the place near the second half of the mix and lacked a direction.
.02| Phat mix this one, one of the best I have heard so far, I think the structure of the mix was well thought out, every mix was well thought out, practiced until it was perfect, then nailed. Time and effort went into this bad boy. big ups to oblivion, really enjoyed this.
.03| Excellent mixing, could hardly notice when new tunes dropped. Alongside a balanced selection, oblivion marches through.
.04| The mix seemed very up and down, there was some really good mixing and blending inbetween tunes, but kind of wondered when you brought in "Rock It", wrong tune to bring in at that point in my opinion. This mix did flow in places, but again there were odd tunes here and there thrown in that hindered the overall mix.
(y) : Nice mixing. Nice varied tune selection
(n) : Wasn't really a fan of Papa Nu Guinea Remix out of Some Other Funk mix, that mix felt abit out of place compared to the rest of the whole mix (However I did like Balaclava with it, should have just started with FSOL remix and Balaclava). Could have maybe done abit of a better job with Rock it coming out Kronix

MIX NOIZE:
.01| Dj noize no t/l, mix started off quite mild, was expecting a bit more fire from noize, but the last half is brilliant, felt like he'd lulled me into a safe/normal set then he brought in great drops and mixes, some good eq'ing too.
.02| Mixing is tighter then a nuns ninnie.
Wot the fuck is that 50 cent thing at the end? I was expecting to here him mix out with it, its jus a little bit at the end? I didn’t understand that.
Really thinking more effort could ave gone into this really.
Dunno bout this, was really expecting more from the mighty noise really that is all. The tunes didn’t float me boat, but then that’s my own preference. Again.

MIX KEMZINO :
.01 | Kemzino, very original choice of tracks shame its not very long, mixing is smooth and well thought out, if this had quicker mixing and a larger tracklist this could have been a GREAT mix.
.02 | Class intro. One of my favourite tunes as an intro, Titan, one of Rams best if ya ask me. And turbulence. I thought the mix out of clarets march was slightly wobbly in places.
Another decent mix, Boss tunes, thought he could have explored his mixes a bit more. skilled behind the decks, a double drop or a tease here or there to keep me on me toes would have been nice. Good mix all the same.
.03| Just better selection imo. loved the transitions, and the mix kept my interested all through.

MIX PISTACHIO:
.01| Pistachio, this started off a bit slow and a couple mixing hiccups at the beggining put the mix on a bad vibe, it picked up a bit near the end tho and the classic track chucked in sounded ok.
.02| Really represented every label with some of there best and heaviest tunes. One word…”Bad Ass” lovin the classic tunes, it don’t get more classic than this.
Great mixing again, mixed by someone who knows their tunes inside and out, well planned and cleanly executed mix. Bad ass and artisan mix did it for me, bust out on a high…big up pistachio, I bet you a bit of a nut!!!! Mwhahaha.

MIX GROELLE :
.01| GroElle, no tracklist and late too, but in all fairness if this was chucked together at the last minute it sounds ok, some fairly quick cueing on a couple of mixes, and a more original choice of tracks edges this mix as the winner.
.02| Chilled vibes n phat basslines. A nice change in styles on this one. Slighty sloppy in places seems a bit rushed. If a bit more time was taken on getting all this mixes spot on this would have been a really nice mix, and seem less. I know it was rushed cos a don’t jus “forget” to throw in a tune IE-silver spaceman, a late entry, representing 2 labels, slightly sloppy in places (but only in place) but still a nice mix, only DnB snobs would notice, but I am and I have
.03| Very nice intro, very atmosphereic and got me into the mood of listening through. A little sketchy bringing in the first tune, and the odd clangy drums here and there, but I did enjoy listening.

oh, thanks all the judges for the feedback, will take it on board.

just shittin myself cos i gotta wang the goodness out now for noize.

edit - chloe. am i right in thinking that mix is to be made up of 2 labels outa the list mentioned previously (including a track which defines this year for us) and will also be the last mix we do for this competition? i.e - if we win, it'll go through to the public vote.

Last edited:
oh, thanks all the judges for the feedback, will take it on board.

just shittin myself cos i gotta wang the goodness out now for noize.

edit - chloe. am i right in thinking that mix is to be made up of 2 labels outa the list mentioned previously (including a track which defines this year for us) and will also be the last mix we do for this competition? i.e - if we win, it'll go through to the public vote.

Yep , 2 LABELS, + THE NEW TWIST. 15-20 MINUTES LONG.
then public vote.

Back
Top Bottom