.003 DnBForum Competition - Festival

*Chloe

VIP Junglist
Winners going to Round 3 are, DJ'S AB aka NUERA/FLICKY, CD aka SPHINX/GLOXXY, EF aka RADIUS/GORDO

No Graphics sorry guys im really tired and i dont feel too well. :confused:

8 judges took part in this, everyone has their own opinion, with that said i do agree the right people have gone thru. Please dont bitch about it, its not gonna change anything and itll just make you look like an ass. I didnt get the written feedback that i thought i would get, however i do understand that a lot of these judges have been doing this since may and must be sick and tired of it.

Judges for next round are up for grabs, let me know if you are interested.

Round 3 mixes are due the 20th of This month, so i can have them out for the weekend to listen to.
They need to be 60 MINUTES LONG AND USING ALL GENRES

Members A & B : TOTAL: 117.5 /132

Tracklist: 20.5/24

no suprises really. could have dug deeper into respective styles. but still well thought out.

Loved every single track on this one! Was really pleased when Submarine rmx got dropped cos that’s such a tune and not heard it in ages!

Very varied tracklist the whole way through. Traits VIP with Overfiend was a nice mix of 2 different styles working together.
Nice dark bit in the middle and I love the Spor remix of 8-bit bitch but it seems to get to lighter at the end which didnt make much sense.

Mixing 72.5/80

good control of levels, very tight mixing. some nice drops. tunes work well together.

Absolutely filthy mix! There were mi-nute adjusts needed here and there but nothing major. This is exactly the kind of mixing I love!

Beat matchin was seemless and mixes were fast, phat and heavy. Loved it!

Opening mix was a banger, nice mix of old and new to get things going. The whole set was full to the brim with well executed, creative double drops.
The beat matching throughout was near enough spotless but the actual choice of mixes on the first half was better I thought.

Colab & creativity 20.5/24

as good as a collabortaion as there was.

This mix was really well put together, it was consistent and both parts mixed jump up and tech really well together!

I can tell you worked together to make the tracklist flow but the way it went from the dark, more underground tracks in the middle then back to the lighter, more commercial stuff messed up the flow a bit.

The whole mix had me rocking about the whole way though.

Tight mix that was good in the transition of styles, worked well as team and got a good flow overall.

Involvement 1/1
Rules 3/3

Members c & d: TOTAL: 109.5 / 132

Tracklist :18.5/24

a couple of producers over represented i thought.

Liked the track listing for this mix a lot! Some heavy tracks on there that I hadn’t heard in a while so was good to hear them again.

The teases were good, wasn’t to keen on ‘the nine’ tease though as just think its to over played to much. Think it was the 5 time ive heard that track in this comp. That’s just personal preference though. Was really good to hear Apex – By The way!

Mixing 69/80

very well mixed. obvious join between the two killed the flow and the last mix, for what ever reason was just stuck on the end.

Wicked mixing on this one! Really consistent and flowed nicely! Had some wicked blends going on!

Starts off really nice and flowing, just the way that liquid should be played.
The switches from liquid to neuro were a bit too abrupt apart from the one nearest to the end.
Say Your Words was the tune highlight of the mix and the way it was mixed was epic but the mix out was a bit sloppy because the vocals got faded out too early.The beatmatching was spot on the whole way through with a just a couple of slightly noticable pitch changes at the very start. Not many of the mixes really grabbed me but it was still a solid set.The last 10 minutes were my favourite.

Colab and creativity 18/24

two deejays seem to have put their heads together, shame about the join.

Mix was solid but would have liked to have seen the 2 parts joined properly. That may not have been your fault, I know, but think that would have topped the mix off.the mix of styles came in waves rather than one long progression and forever moves, but there seemed to be too much going on in a few mixes and sounds clashed.

Involvement 1/1
Rules 3/3

members e & f : TOTAL: 108.5/132

Tracklist 20/24

most original tracklist of the lot.
Was a good selection of tracks, a lot of decent jungle and some heavy neuro/tech.

mixing 63.5/80

inventive in some places, ordinary in others and not always completely tight.

Nice mix! Some classic Jungle mixing with the cuts working really well. Liked the way the mix flowed into a real heavy ending! Beat matching was good throughout, noticed some small parts that could have been a bit cleaner but nothing major.

Mad intro. Nice jungle vibe for the first half and the technique of mixing has got a real old school feel to it. Pretty fast mixing for an Old school set.The tease with Warning was a bit short. I realise it was was so short because you wanted to fit in another 2 teases into that tune. Although that was an impressive thing to do I didnt feel it was necessary and got in the way of what could have been a good mix with
Warning. The change from old School to neuro was nice and smooth.The mix progesses nicely, ending with utter chaos.

colab & creativity 21/24

two styles worled well and the progression form one to the other was well worked.
This mix blended really well and really enjoyed both parts.

Everything blended nicely!

brave to take such a timeline of music and pretty well executed. smooth progression and exchange to make an eventful mix

Involvement 1/1
RUles 3/3

Last edited:
Re: .03 DNBFORUM FESTIVAL - ROUND 3

members g & h: TOTAL 100/132

tracklist 16.5/24

too much anthem bashing in the second half.

Tracks on this mix were quality. It was really good to hear LK and Battlefield again! They brought some delightful summertime joy for me. Would have probably been full marks but I wasn’t to keen on having ‘The Nine’ as a track.

mixing 64.5/80

a fair few mixes weren't always in time. three deck mixing, although fast and impressive, wasn't utilised to it's full potential.

Really enjoyable mix. Beat matching was good. Could have been a little tighter in places but nothing major. Liked the contrast of new school and old school. Worked well!

The first half was really nice. Had me spacing out to the chilled stuff. Spotless mixing in the first half, the first 10 mins or so sounded like one long song, in a good way.I very much like the way you started with the liquid and moved onto the dancefloor stuff later.
The mixing in the second half was more adventurous and a lot quicker but had more slight mistakes. Dunno what happened with 3rd Degree Gurns but it faded out then came back in again a couple of times which sounded a bit strange.

colab & creativity 16/24

for quick 3 deck mixing, but it didn't feel like two deejays who had come up with a mix together.

Great mix! Played a lot of varied dnb and thought it went together really well. Both mixes joined together nicely and it flowed well!

changed styles progressively through the mix getting harder as it went on, which i thought was quite well executed.

Involvement 1/1
RUles 2/3

members i & j : TOTAL: 102/132

tracklist 16.5/24

some dubs and a very nicely put together tune selection.

As I said, wasn’t into a lot of the tracks on this mix. Sorry. Much preferred the tracks on the second half of the mix.

Very intricate tracklist, never heard most of the tunes. Very deep and moody at the beginning but gets very boring and repetitive after a while

mixing 64.5/80

first half, the mixing is a little bland, not much done with some good tunes, but the second half got me a bit fired up, just how i like to hear tunes played.

Mix wasn’t to bad, progressed nicely but im really not into a lot of the d’n’b in the first half. Was a bit to mellow for me. That’s just my opinion though; I know a lot of people are into that style. Preferred second half of the mix and did think the two sets blended well together but few mixes really stood out for me.

Very clean mixing for the first half but no particularly impressive mixes. It livens up a bit on the second half. The mixing on the second half is equally as clean but with a bit more eventfulness to it.

The whole thing is a big roller-fest. Which is nice but it could have done with some more big attention grabbing tunes to keep it interesting.I like the progression of the mix in the way that it goes from chilled minimal stuff to the more dark and rolling tunes.

colab & creativity 17/24

nice vibe to the mix, progressive through out.

Wasn’t to bad but again, nothing really stood out for me im afraid.Sorry again.

a clear progression from style to style but i think it was too minimal and quiet before in the exchange. well mixed throughout though.

Involvement 1/1
RUles 3/3

members k & l: TOTAL: 88/132

tracklist 13.5/24

too much original sin for starters. needed some more diversity.

Pretty good beats throughout although some of the jump wasn’t quite
what im into.The tune selection and mixing gets pretty repetitive in the middle.

Bit of an overload of G dub/OS tunes. I find it a bit strange that it went from heavier tunes to lighter ones. It sounds like it should have been done the other way round.The second half was nice and summery.

mixing 59/80

good use of three decks to get mixes cueued up quick and keep the mix rolling, but let down by 2nd half wher the were no real quick drops and some of the sound levels were a bit off and some mixes that just didn't sound good together.

Mixing was tight as. Think some use of the EQ in parts could have been better as heard a couple of bass clashes. I personally wasn’t to keen on the mixing of jump up into liquid or vice versa as felt it changed the mood of the set and kind of broke up the energy.

Nice opening, chilled but upbeat. The mix into Diplodocus was good and switched the vibe nicely. Very quick mixing

colab & creativity 13.5/24

not enough creativity at all really and the two deejays had massively diiferent mixing techniques which meant the mix lost it's flow.
Think you both worked well and the sets fitted nicely together.flowed well and managed to use all the styles with little conflicts,

nice playfull mix that seemed like it was by one dj.

Involvement 1/1
RUles 1/3

members m & n : TOTAL: 94/132

tracklist 16.5/24

1st half tunes were all a bit the same really and the 2nd half didn't seem well thought out, tunes didn't compliment each other at all.

mixing 57.5/80

promising start but went a bit basic and slow, just dropping tunes into and out of breakdowns. 2nd half wasn't as tight as the first. some double drops seemed pointless because one tune was drowning out the other.

Beat matching was good, I did notice a few mixes though where I thought it could have been tighter though.Wicked opening mix, instant good vibes. The first half is really nice and uplifting.
Dawn Treader was a good tune to play but I feel it could have been mixed a bit more creatively.
Having one jump-up tune in the middle of loads of rollers seemed a bit strange but gave it a bit of a kick in the middle.
I loved pretty much all the tunes on the mix and it had a constant
good, party vibe. Only down point of the tracklist was that much variation but still more than other mixes in the comp.

colab & creativity 18/24

the mixes flowed into each other smoothly.
Mixes blended together nicely and thought the vibe of the mix was quality.

Probably the best teamwork of the comp. It all flows really well and you cant really tell when the changeover is.
Really crisp and creative mixing throughout with only a couple of small beatmatching slips.a really lively up beat mix that moved in between styles and dj's quite well, but there was the occasional clash of sounds in a couple of mixes.

Involvement 1/1
RUles 1/3

Last edited:

congrats to those who made it. i want to hear more feedback on my mix! i like hearing reviews.

do we find out whose mixes are whose? or is it still anonymous?

umm off the top of my head quickly... ive deleted my pms so i dont remember most of them, sorry guys, im shit.

AB - NUERA/FLICKY
CD - SPHINX/GLOXXY
EF - RADIUS/GORDO
IJ - WELLSY/SAINT
GH - JOEY/CHRIS

congrats to those who made it. i want to hear more feedback on my mix! i like hearing reviews.

Hey im sorry that there wasnt a lot of feedback. i will make sure from now on that every judge do written feedback. so i apologize.

Hey im sorry that there wasnt a lot of feedback. i will make sure from now on that every judge do written feedback. so i apologize.

sorry chloe and all competitors, i was unaware i was meant to comment on each section and only gave overall comments.

my humble apologies.

doh.

Well done guys who got through! some top mixes there, thanks for the feedback for my 2nd half, gutted we didnt get the next round would had been awesome but had fun taking part any how:) pat on the back for Chloe and Judges and big up Saint!!

Last edited:

sorry not teamed up but heres a copy and paste of the members

A. NUERA
B. FLICKY
C. GLOXXY
D. SPHINX
E. RADIUS
F. GORDO
G. JOEY
H. CHRIS
I. WELLSY
J. SAINT
K. FORTUNE
L. ARDY
M. STEMCELL
N. TORNADO

congrats to everyone who made it through, and to all those who didn't fair play you still did a crackin job

:) Thanks to all the judges that were feeling our mix! really enjoyed working with Flicky on this. (yn) we can callaborate again in the future

God bless us, everyone!

Thanks to every1 who was involved in this i do hav to admit the mix me n gloxx did was not up to our standard but i will bring the fiyaaaaaaaaaa with the next one!
An thanks to this comp ill be gettin intouch wiv gloxx to get a full on 1hr rinse out as soon as.
Thanx Chloe again, for all the hard work, wont have internet so its gona be hard to keep in the forum as much as i have been will get the mix done as soon as, i got OLDSCHOOL now thanks to smarty! ;) will get a mix in asap, if i have any trouble ill let smart know so u can make the right arrangements hopefully all will go to plan (yn)

BIG UP PEEPS!!!! :2thumbs:

Nick, your 3 decking at the end of your mix was just ridiculous! Fucking the cleanest blend ever, big the fuck up for that! Your boys mix was cock on, well done :) Its late now but will give personal feedback to people if they PM me (y)

Knew A&B was nuera & flicky! You boys were the first one I listened to & was like 'wow'. Big tings.

im over the moon that our mix got through, and i really appreciate the feedback.
unfortunately, 6 months ago i booked my tickets to athens, and thats where im writting this from. i wont be back until the 28th, so unless something changes in the deadline, i will have to give up my place. i trust chloe and her loyal minions will give it to someone worthy, or perhaps leave it open in my honor :)teeth:)
once again, big up to chloe, the judges, all the participants, and my main man radius for being so damn good at everything.
so yeah, sorry for the drop out, but i really need those holidays, and the tickets didnt come cheap...
hope to kick some ass on vol.4
peass out

I cannot believe my mixing ain't held GorDo back !!! Big up everyone. Seme very fair comments I feel regarding teh mixing. Thanks guys .A real shame I know I'll be doing 12-14 hr days for the next couple of months. ( so can't be in next one)

Just saw Gordo's post...So I guess I cannot do a team thing, but hey let me know, if not I know its meant to be a team mix, so I will be happy with whatever decision is made. I will get on this straight away then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom