£200 for a mixer what would you buy?

OllieNotts

Hi, I am a bit of a hi-jacker as I am a techno head but love reading this forum as it has tons of good advice and lots of vinyl lads still about(good on yer).
I have had a shit time sorting out a set up, bought numark tt500's off ebay the nob head sent them with no packaging and an arm snapped off during delivery...ebay took his side :( the mixer turns out to be shit and old and not working properly(fx5000) so that needs replacing to. I bought a tt200 from cash g for £25 knowing it was old and its looks hammered to lol.
Anyway in my quest for a set up I now want a new mixer, gonna buy some vinyl instead of the dvs I have (intimidation ishit live) and need some monitors. I have some 300w acoustic house speakers but they dont seem up to DJ'ing in my living room. Not very clear at all actually.
So please advise on what I can get for £200 maybe £300, I will start to build my vinyl collection beyond my current ONE record :D and fuck the dvs off for now as I want to start from scratch and see how it feels to mix properly. I was taught by a pro house DJ at my college how to basic beat match so I am not gonna run before I can walk. I will buy 1210's to once I get up and running properly and know I wanna start playing out hence me wanting a decent starter mixer.
Please advise me you knowledgeable lot

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

http://www.thedjshop.co.uk/mixers/allen-and-heath/allen-and-heath-xone-22-mixer.html 2 channel is it worth the cash?
Ideally I wanna add a cdj in the future do I need a 3 channel mixer to play 2 tt and a cdj?
http://www.thedjshop.co.uk/mixers/numark/numark-m4-three-channel-scratch-mixer.html 3 channel
http://www.thedjshop.co.uk/mixers/pioneer/pioneer-djm250-2-channel-mixer-with-rotary-filters.html another 2 channel...

Out of those 3 i'd probably go for the Pioneer. I had the Allen & Heath Xone 22 for a while and wasn't impressed by the build quality. E.g. The faders wore out in less than a year.

The Pioneer has a really nice simple layout:
DJM_250_K_top_low.1-851x1024.jpg

As for needing more than 2 channels, it's only necessary if you see yourself getting into 3 deck mixing. If you want to mix 2 decks and just want to add another CDJ that wouldn't be a problem as with a 2 channel you can have 2 decks plugged in to each channel and switch between them using the switches at the top. So in theory you could have 4 decks plugged into a 2 deck mixer.

The High Pass/Low Pass filters look good too, especially since they're independent to each channel. You don't really need loads of fancy effects.

If you're planning on upgrading your whole setup in the future to monitors, 1210s and a topend mixer i'd recommend you get a second hand midrange 3 channel mixer by Numark, Gemini or Vestax. That way when you do upgrade you should be able to sell it on close to the price you paid for it. If your current setup has poor sound quality an you'll be missing pretty much the best reason for owning a good mixer (sound quality!).

When you do upgrade i'd then recommend going into a DJ/Music shop with a large budget and some tunes you know well demoing stuff then buying what you like new as you get a guarantee. Digital Village do a 4 year standard guarantee which is pretty good for electricals really.

Any money you save on a cheap mixer can be used to buy vinyl, get on discogs and ebay for some bargains!

I dont want to buy a second hand mixer after the piece of shit I ended up with on ebay and their lack of customer service afterwards :(
The pioneer one looks quite nice and I need simple for now while I learn.
Are the monitors I see for £100 any good? I know a lad who's flatmate spent £300 on his but as it will only be a living room set up for the foreseeable would the pioneer 250 be any good with a set of £100 monitors? Got a list of vinyl as long as my arm ready to buy when I have some money who ever said they arent pressing vinyl anymore must be living in dream land unless it depends on the genre. New tracks every week some vinyl only in the world of house and techno.

Note to add...if and when buying dj gear off eBay always try and go to the sellers house. You can then see it there, transport it yourself and finally save postage costs. I think that might have been your first mistake. With that in mind I would look to see what you could get on eBay for your 200 quid, or failing that. Buy a shitty 40 quid numark mixer, then save for a proper nice bit of kit like a 92 or summit

Pioneer out of those 3...

As said though find a djm500/600 on ebay travel to inspect and you will have a bargin...accept nothing else unless you got 800+ in your burner...

Back
Top Bottom