what kind of sub is this ?

inatecker

Hi, I new here, but I follow this forum since a long time and today I finally registered.

I'm learning synthesis now and this forum helps me a lot!

I'm going crazy to get something like this... at 0:57

So, it has a lot of energy in 30hz and 60hz range and it has distortion and chorus perhaps?
I tried to do this without results with ES2, 3osc sub (3sine waves), waves loair for 30hz energy, wah-wah routed to a low pass filter, the results were completely different. How I could get something similar sub for my Dnb tracks?

Thanks in advance.

The actual sub is just a sine wave. Subs are always a sine wave. It's changing in pitch so you'll need to use portamento or pitch bend. Don't put any delay based effects on it (chorus, phaser, flanger, reverb etc) or it will start to phase.
The main bass is a different matter...

Thank you, I'm going to try it. Anyway the original bass has more body than mine, I don't know way because a sine waves are the same in all vst synthesizers.
Perhaps, a little distortion in the sub?

Thank you, I'm going to try it. Anyway the original bass has more body than mine, I don't know way because a sine waves are the same in all vst synthesizers.
Perhaps, a little distortion in the sub?
Could it be because it's just not as loud? Could you post what you have so we can see if there's anything wrong?

It's quite high pitched for a sub, is that an C#2? I usually write my tunes in the keys with roots between E and A so the sub isn't too high (sounds weak) or too low (too difficult for most speakers to produce)

With sound toys dacapitator looks better but it isn't what I exactly want. I have heard this kind of sub in a lot of tunes, fat sub very controlled by sidechain.

to make a sub bass sound crazy it has to have a lot of movement, the one you put up was just a solid signal with no movement at all, your sub bass should be moving with the main bass synth, and by moving I mean automations/lfo's controlling the volume, pan, and stereo imaging. You don't really want to stereo your sub bass though, in this song is has a tiny bit of stereo movement, and at some points it may hit like one note in stereo. Compress your sub bass with your main synth bass so they move together.

Thanks, I've been trying give it some movement, in massive I've used a lowpass filter to envelope and now it has movement, and a bit of classic tube and dimension expander, it's better now. Do you agree with this programming?

I wouldnt use a filter cos this will change the tone slightly, modulate the volume instead. Definetly don't use classic tube or any form of distortion on your sub bass, any added harmonics that low in the frequency range will mud up your sub giving it less power. And for dimension expander, keep it on full dry most of the time cos you want your sub to be in mono mostly, you can have it automate up a tiny bit, by this i mean have it turn literally about 4-8% when it does.

Thanks, I've been trying give it some movement, in massive I've used a lowpass filter to envelope and now it has movement, and a bit of classic tube and dimension expander, it's better now. Do you agree with this programming?

There's a danger you're going to turn your sub into a main bass layer, which ruins the subby-ness... if you like the sound all the distortions and dimension expander type things, use them all on the sub, then highpass the result at about 100hz using an EQ and add in a clean dry sub underneath.

I know what you mean, I should make 2 different channels, first channel only the sub with env to amp movement and second channel with a little bit low-mid bass with fx's dimension expander and distortion and low-cut about 100hz?

Back
Top Bottom