tb303 dnb compo SUBMISSIONS AND VOTING TRAD

which tune is the most magnificent and gleaming in the night, according to you!

• A

• B

• C

• D

• e

• F

• G

• h

• I

• J

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nope mine was full length definently had the 303, drums and bass.
I will release the stems and write up a full report later if that's what you guys want.
We want a letter, Ivan. Just a letter, comrade! YOUR letter. And don't trick us into believing it was "I" because of your name. I know you didn't make "I".

ok, yes, and true, but the aim of the compo was to make dnb with definite 303 stuff in there. sub cannot be considered definite 303. A is dope but its 1.30 long and without 303, but ok, lets leave that to the judges.

on another note, I forgot to add Strobys track, and he made TWO tracks for this compo, which i think deserve to be heard, so they will be up tomorrow, and will be referenced in this thread. id like for his main track to go to the judges, hope nobody objects.

so should we call it? are we good and ready with the voting now?

1st H
2nd I
3rd shared between A and G

with Strobys track in there as compensation
Where is the other track?

I was D. I had a bunch of trouble getting going on this one, so I ended up just mashing what I had through some compressors and sending it in. Bass was the Axiom samples + much resampling, drums were just the processed breaks edited a bit (maybe not even?) + 808 kick/snares + samples of K/S from other in-pack breaks. Tau 303 plug-in for my 303 bit + some delay reverb n chorus. If anyone actually wants details I can do a more proper write up.

aw shit, strobys track needs to get up on our SC!! @Strobys it is with the judges thonugh, so you are guaranteed listens and feedback when the verdicts are in.

so far we have 1 judge give us his verdict, and thats from the eminent nic tvg!
@judges (@Reactor Grits, @Sammy Dexcell, @Mania) do you want to see nics post, maybe that will make it easier to deliver. just worried it will sway your judgment, reading someone elses review.

should i post the key, as in what tune is who. or do you prefer to wait with that until all is settled and the smoke is clear.

aww yeah, that reminds me, wu tang is number one!!

yaas ron buddy, some fuel for discussion!

my kyboard is brokn so titls and artist names will b sligtly off

1. saftstin hobby butcrson A
2. manu CCCIIII B
3. mnosanc you sin C
4. xiris 303 compo subbd D
5. subprim dnbforum 303 comp dysjoint e
6. sulihin 303 comp F
7.jamie TCT303final ntry G
8. IV4 303 mytology h
9 logikz hot voodoo I
10. liz bauty and bast J

I just wanted to thank everybody who voted for me! This is the first comp I actually got to participate in so I am really stoked to of won the popular vote.
I also want to mention that in this comp and the last comp people should maybe sometimes vote their second choice. I feel a few tracks did not get as many votes as they should of and mine got too much. Just my 2 cents.

Also my song is available as a free download on my soundcloud, and so is the final drum stem. I hope someone enjoys.

So this is how I made my track.

I use reason, so I downloaded the 303 patch that Logikz said we could use. Because of the competition I only used the macro controls to manipulate the sound coming directly out of the combinator and the majority of the evolving sounds in my 303 track are because I used random automation of the macro controls. However, I did posthumously process the shit out of the 303. The first thing I did was run the sound through a scream 4 distortion unit. Then I ran it delay and gave some reverb. I then split the sound into two different channels, one that had even more reverb and delay and one that had a very sharp filter sweep every whole note(it makes it sound like a side chaining effect.) I then recombined both of these sounds in to a mixer with a cross fader, much like a dj would use. Then I added delay and reverb and automated the cross fader back in fourth until I thought it sounded cool.
The notation of and style of my main lead 303 was heavily influenced by Prodigy's Voodoo People and the intro song for the Sopranos.
The arpeggio 303 was made almost the same way but with out the cross fader. The notes where programed inside of the matrix that the approved 303 reason combinator came with.

Bass
The bass I made with the axiom reece. I loaded two of the same sample into one sampler and detune them. I then used a envelope shaper in the sampler to adjust the pitch and a low pass filter inside the sampler to remove the highs. After, the signal was ran into a vocoder, then a distortion, and a little reverb was added. After that, the bass was separated into four different frequencies, low, mid-low, mid-high, and high. Processing for the low, was simply, made mono, and the mid-low I adjusted to make certain lower frequencies mono and higher frequencies barely stereo. For the mid-highs small amounts chorus, reverb, and distortion. And finally for the highs I added lots of choirs, reverb, and distortion. The non pitch changing bass I simply copy and pasted the first bass and then turn off the pitch shifter and adjusted a few things.

Drums
The drums are my favorite part of my track and took the longest to make. I spent an entire day splicing the break, and chopping and compressing snares and kicks to make the drums. The first thing I did was I picked the break I wanted to use. I went through it and carefully sliced it up. I then time stretched the 16 individual slices so as they would be quantized. I then layered a bunch of kicks and snares cut out of the bhk or 808 samples together to give the kick and snare more punch. I also added extra hats, one of which I made to loud and it bothers me. The other thing I did was downloaded a free trial of the soft tube compressor. ( I still have not bought it) That compressor is amazing with drums and I feel it was the best thing for my drums. At no point and time did I compress any drums harshly, but all the drums elements have been ran through multiple compressions, and I have used multiple different compressors to get different effects. When I finally finished the four bar loop I compressed it all one more time and bounce out the sample and then brought it back it as an audio file. Then I spliced and arranged the drums compressed them, add more kick and snares to desired affect. My intro drums are the only drums that came from outside the sample pack. I accidentally or serendipitously put the notation of my lead into a a cheesy drum machine and thought it sounded cool. However, the rules said I can't do that, so I grab my kids cheep keyboard with different drums and recorded a hat, a bongo, and a thing that sounds like a dog barking. I then loaded those sounds into a sampler, added plenty of delay and reverb and repeated my accident.

Vocal
I listen to a free public domain book called the children of oden. I thought a part in the beginning would make a cool sample so I took a male and male wire connecter and plugged one into my computer output, and one into the input. I then pressed play and recorded for a few minutes. The record was glitchy and distorted and I thought it sounded cool so I kept the first one and processed it. You can check out the you tube video below.

Any other question i will be happy to answer. Also, you can download my song from sound cloud now and the final drum stem is yours to do with as you wish.

Last edited:
VeRY NICe IVAN OLD BOY!

but that wasnt allowed, you can add any vocals you like, but you have to record them yourself haha fool of a man,
but ok whatever, its not like it matters, the tune is still badass.

next compo we will do the rules a bit more carefully, so you bunch of criminals can follow them for damn once in your sexually confused teenage lives

question, would anyone be up for following this up with a remix compo, im thinking we remix the winner

and if h doesnt win, we do h. its a remix h compo.

or what, is it too soon. or is it a shitty concept. ill admit its been done to death and we havent even seen the end of this compo, but still, i think we all got inspired and productive by this compo, and you should strike whilst the iron is hot, only makes sense to work it if youre on a roll! and i think we all like ivans h, and all can see our own take on it pretty easily. thats what i like the least about it, that it is very unoriginal, lacks identity, a style of its own, its very bland. commercial. no attitude. but thats hardly news for ivan, if you go for that sound, which he has done skillfully and 100% intentionally, that is what you sacrifice.

anyway, what say you! good idea or hang back and figure out a new and cool concept.

dont see why we cant do both actually, if enough people are down, we got ourselves a compo, thats what i always said!

question, would anyone be up for following this up with a remix compo, im thinking we remix the winner

and if h doesnt win, we do h. its a remix h compo.

or what, is it too soon. or is it a shitty concept. ill admit its been done to death and we havent even seen the end of this compo, but still, i think we all got inspired and productive by this compo, and you should strike whilst the iron is hot, only makes sense to work it if youre on a roll! and i think we all like ivans h, and all can see our own take on it pretty easily. thats what i like the least about it, that it is very unoriginal, lacks identity, a style of its own, its very bland. commercial. no attitude. but thats hardly news for ivan, if you go for that sound, which he has done skillfully and 100% intentionally, that is what you sacrifice.

anyway, what say you! good idea or hang back and figure out a new and cool concept.

dont see why we cant do both actually, if enough people are down, we got ourselves a compo, thats what i always said!
If it's alright with you I am planning the next comp. But it's not going to be a remix of one of my song this time. I have an idea that has complete artistic freedom with a catch that should be fun. It also allows me and logikz to compete with out any ethical dilemmas. I was planning on making an announcement when my semester ended but if you give me until the weekend I can make a new thread.

With all that said, if you guys want to remix h I will be happy to realease the rest of the stems or if someone wants the stems for fucks sake that's cool too. Don't forget, the drums are already up now.

I won't be able to take part in a remix compo, too much to do in the next... year maybe.

Also, since Ivan broke the rules, I think is unethical of our part not to disqualify him.

Not that rules aren't there to be broken, but next time you ask for dnb with only unusual percussion (no kicks, no snares, no cymbals, no toms) and people will appear with a perfectly Noisia quality drum hits and be the winner because the song is good?

Just my .02

oooooooooooh you are!!!!!!!!!! really!!!!! say word!!!!

ok alright awesome, you go head and do your thing, unexpected and very happy turn of events, nice one ivan old buddy, cant wait to see what the deals are gonna be, but im guessing since you volonteer, you got something in store for us, and, dare i say, it is sexual, like an amphetamine truckstop piss pause, after 21 states, finally setting foot on dixie soil.

right. thats prtty close, i should think.... im prtty good at this stuff. sxual mistr. sx

VeRY NICe IVAN OLD BOY!

but that wasnt allowed, you can add any vocals you like, but you have to record them yourself haha fool of a man,
but ok whatever, its not like it matters, the tune is still badass.

next compo we will do the rules a bit more carefully, so you bunch of criminals can follow them for damn once in your sexually confused teenage lives
Oh shit, does this mean I am disqualified?

Back
Top Bottom