DnB Pearsall presents One Last Night: An Om Unit Tribute Mix

pearsall

For my final mix of 2023, here's a special present from me to you - my tribute to my favorite artist of the last decade ... @omunit! I recorded this mix in literally our last night in our old flat in Wilmersdorf before we moved out after ten years - it seemed like a nice bit of synchronicity to record this specific tribute as a final farewell to our home of so many years.

Om Unit (aka Jim Coles to his mom) has been probably my favorite electronic music producer of the last ten years I love how he integrates his distinctively synth-heavy, melodic, bass-forward sound into all kinds of musical frameworks. He's done everything from 110 bpm (and slower) dub / downtempo beats to 140 bpm breaks and dubstep and then all the way up to 160 bpm footwork and 170 bpm jungle and drum n' bass. What's really cool about his work is that even though he works at different tempos and in quote-unquote different genres, his music always sounds like him. In this day and age, it's hard to find artists with a clear and distinctive sound, and he really has that. I love that he doesn't compromise his musical vision, that he bends the genres to his sound, instead of the other way around.

This mix is focused more on his faster stuff, and I've tried hard to pay appropriate homage ... enjoy!

More words here: https://sonicrampage.org/blog/2023/12/pearsall-presents-one-last-night-an-om-unit-tribute-mix/

Recorded in Berlin, August 2023
100% Vinyl
(58:23, 134 MB, 320 KBPS MP3)

Tracklisting:

01. Blocks & Escher - Broken (Om Unit Remix) [Narratives]
02. Om Unit - Runes [Om Unit]
03. Digital & Spirit & Om Unit - Skull [Function]
04. Pawn & Calculon - Larchmont (Om Unit Remix) [Shoot]
05. Kid Drama - Grind feat. Om Unit [Exit]
06. Om Unit - Righteousness [Om Unit]
07. Om Unit - Rubberneck [Om Unit]
08. Om Unit - Ulysses (The Unreleased VIP) [Om Unit]