New Cut by PremEyE...feedback appreciated...This is the HEART

Ok, So let us talk about the drop.
It is not bad at all. You have a good bass and lots of cool rasta style fx going on, but your drums are all but non-existent. Use compression to bring out the drums perceived loudness and make your drums more present in the mix.

IV4-
Thank you for listening and thank you for the feedback.
I appreciate this kind of specific advice.
I agree with you...
I felt the same as I was mixing down, but was unable to get the drums to the loudness and fullness that I wanted.
Any methods/tips you can offer? I did have some compression on the drum buss; perhaps not the ideal setting...
In another mix I was trying put another layer of kick and snare to thicken it up, but it wasn't working out.
Thanks again,
Prem

Sidechaining to things that are occupying the same frequency bands can help.
The hard part is getting the right compression settings so that the sidechaining isn't obvious.
I thought it was a good track. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be chilling or boogieing, but I don't think it matters.
Vocal at beginning and end reminded me of valley of the shadows.

@smoothassilk
Thanks for listening to the track and commenting.
It is appreciated!
I have been trying to work on my compression skills...it seems to be a very difficult skill to attain!
There seems to be such a fine line between great sounding and SQUASHED.
As far as vibe of the song, I am trying very hard to be influenced by other great tracks of the past but to also explore new ideas and sounds. I try not to control the direction too much as I am making a track but to simply let it evolve on its own...
Thanks again for listening.
Prem

Hello Prem! Choosing the right sounds is obviously very important, and it sounds like the snare has no body to it. Sounds like it still has the filter on it thining it out. You may want this sound, but if you want more punch in you snare then you may need to add a bottom layer to it, or choose a different sample.

You may have a few sounds fighting for the same frequency space where the snare is sitting, so either some side-chaining to the snare on sounds that are clashing, or some EQ automation when the snare hits to cut out some space. The kick seems to cut through more than the snare, but again, as mentioned above by someone else, sidechaining the kick to the bass might help even further.

Cable Guys - Volume shaper 3 can be a good alternative to side-chaining, does a similar job, but if you do use a side-chain to the kick or snare, or even both, then you can either use the actual kick or snare to trigger the side-chain, or use another sound source. The sound used to trigger the sidechain is important, because the sidechain uses the shape of the sound as a trigger, and you can sometimes get smoother results with whitenoise in place of a kick or snare trigger because it has a more consistent shape.

Compressing drums can be tricky because different sounds trigger the compressor in different ways, so on a group you will have multiple sounds reacting to the compressor differently. It's not an exact science, but best to not have too fast attack to let some of the transients through, and if the compressor allows you to compress above a certain frequency then it might be an idea to knock off some of the lows. Try and smooth out any harsh peaks before you do compress, that way the compressor is working more efficiently. Another thing to try is to mono eveything on your drum buss below 250Hz, or maybe even a bit lower, depends on what sounds right.

Tune-wise you make nice music, and the mix is not too far away, just keep at it man and through trial and error you will get the sound you are looking for!

- - - Updated - - -

As an add-on to my comment, perhaps even just some EQ might help give the snare a bit more body, a little boost somewhere between 180Hz and 280HZ might help it, or layering a snare that has more of this frequncy in it if there is not much to boost in this area in the original snare. But as I'm sure you know, layering can be tricky, but it certainly can help to get fatter sounding beats.

Hello Sonic-
Thank you so much for listening to my track and taking the time to write such an awesome reply.
This is truly great advice! I am going to try out all the methods that you outlined above.
This is exactly the type of response I was hoping to get as it is very practical and specific advice.
As I try some of the methods you outlined above I may have some other questions that arise.
I hope you do not mind if I ask...
I'll also have a look at the Volume Shaper 3...
Thanks again!
Prem

IV4-
Thank you for listening and thank you for the feedback.
I appreciate this kind of specific advice.
I agree with you...
I felt the same as I was mixing down, but was unable to get the drums to the loudness and fullness that I wanted.
Any methods/tips you can offer? I did have some compression on the drum buss; perhaps not the ideal setting...
In another mix I was trying put another layer of kick and snare to thicken it up, but it wasn't working out.
Thanks again,
Prem

Parallel processing may be the trick for you. Somebody else gave you great advice on compression and I think you should explore it but you need to also explore parallel processing and frequency splitting.
Most programs have an automatic frequency spitter, usually four band or eight bands. They can be linked up to compressors or limiters. Find a split that does as little to your bass sound as possible. Now wire your kick into the lowest frequencies to duck the sub-bass via, side-chain, under your kick. With the second band eq out some frequencies that may interfere with your kick and add some light distortion and stereo width with any thing above 100hz on your bass. Do the same with your third and fourth bands. Your kick should punch trough.
You can also parallel process your kick by creating new patches or wiring/busing the kick to new channels. A simple parrelle process that can create large effect is to use three channels of the same sound, one sound in mono with the bass eqed up, and two channels, one panned right, one panned left, with no bass but the high frequency punch predominate. You will immediately here a more predominate sound.

Parallel processing may be the trick for you. Somebody else gave you great advice on compression and I think you should explore it but you need to also explore parallel processing and frequency splitting.
Most programs have an automatic frequency spitter, usually four band or eight bands. They can be linked up to compressors or limiters. Find a split that does as little to your bass sound as possible. Now wire your kick into the lowest frequencies to duck the sub-bass via, side-chain, under your kick. With the second band eq out some frequencies that may interfere with your kick and add some light distortion and stereo width with any thing above 100hz on your bass. Do the same with your third and fourth bands. Your kick should punch trough.
You can also parallel process your kick by creating new patches or wiring/busing the kick to new channels. A simple parrelle process that can create large effect is to use three channels of the same sound, one sound in mono with the bass eqed up, and two channels, one panned right, one panned left, with no bass but the high frequency punch predominate. You will immediately here a more predominate sound.

This is very interesting...
Is this the same as multiband dynamics?
I have heard of multiband processing but I have yet to explore it.
The track I posted was my first track I completed in Bitwig; usually I am using Ableton.
I did a google search after reading your above post as I wanted info on how to do this type of processing in Bitwig/Ableton.

A couple links popped up, this is what you are referring to, yes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwhufQ4ULVY

http://surroundsoundrecordings.co.u...ing-a-frequency-splitter-in-ableton-live-539/

I am going to try this out...
Seriously, thank you Sonic, IV4 & smoothassilk.
I am trying very hard to get my production to the next level and this is just the type of advice I need to point me in a specific direction based on specific issues with my track. I will try and re-work my track using the advice given...I will post again after I re-work it.
I am back at work, so it may take me a little time to experiment with these new methods (at least new to me). Also, I may post more questions as I get into the actual process...
Thanks again,
Prem

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom