Need some help with percussion

prettyherb

O I
VIP Junglist
Eepz, as the title says..

In some dnb tracks you have those half- 1 bars filled with toms and percussion that go from low to hi or vice versa, just befor a drop and climax.. I want to make something, but what is the best way to do it and come to a nice result?

check this at atbout 1: 49 you hear what i mean...

so what do you advice??

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some low and high toms placed like a drummer would hit them and then maybe lowpassing it with automation on the cutoff.

Just like I say it. Think about how a drummer would hit the different toms on his drumkit.
That gives it that realistic feel.

What helps me is if I think what if my drums were being played by a live drummer, who whould want to improvise a tiny bit and switch stuff up to avoid it being boring

Well, to bring in an actual drummer, seeing that there's so much talk about how "a drummer" would do this...
Think high tom and low tom, when you play congas or whatever live, you usually have a pair.
The "intro" is usually a pretty basic DnB-beat, really, just played on the drums at hand; "Gong - gon kang, gong - gon gon kang!" and then you freestyle it onwards, switching between 4/4 and 6/4 beats and whatever, just going with the groove. Try fitting six hits in a nice groovy pattern over the for or eight bar setup you've got going, and working it from there.

In other words; giving any specific hints or tips is really difficult since this shit basically comes down to impro and whatnot in real life, and you've gotta try'n capture that feel when you program your beat sequencer...

Break uses a lot of sampled drum fills it seems. And a lot of other people too. It gives a much more natural result if that's what you're looking for.

But using tom samples and snare hits can work good too, just a few different samples and start by putting one hit on each 1/16th note, going from the highest tone to the lowest tone and accentuate some hits with snares. Try using a natural snare sound with it though. Then try removing some hits and playing with the velocities and you might get something interesting.

Back
Top Bottom