Masterclass Collection Thread

Infected Mushroom talking about theit Track: Drum N Bassa

They have some very interesting uses for gating Vocals...

enjoy:

Infected Mushroom talking about theit Track: Drum N Bassa

They have some very interesting uses for gating Vocals...

enjoy:

The tune isn't really drum & bass but i really enjoyed the masterclass, and those guys are pretty funny, so added to the list!

Thank you guys for all your contributions :)

Killer thread! Has anyone seen the Optical Digital Labz Masterclass? Im keen on it but wanna hear some opinions before I buy.

Unfortunately i haven't seen this one but i saw the one from Mefjus (which is also Digital Labz) and it was pretty awesome. I guess they are all worth their prices.

Optical vid is def worth a watch, some of his advice is pretty old skool though and contradicts what a lot of other pros are doing

Mefjus one is awesome, plus Mind Vortex, Inside Info and Culprate (all on Digital Labz), Bassgorilla.com is really good too. I did the Frequent sound design course and the Haywyre Composition course and you pick up so much stuff :)

Optical vid is def worth a watch, some of his advice is pretty old skool though and contradicts what a lot of other pros are doing

I did think that but his tunes are soo big still he deffo has got some solid points. Like never EQin anything unless he really has to - the amount of time ive saved just using things that naturally work is huge.

I'd recommend it to anyone!

Anyone know of any good tutorials for mixdowns?

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the Emperor Masterclass.
Otherwise finding good tutorials on mixing is difficult, i think it's something that improves automatically while constantly producing music.
I read a chapter of the "Making Music" book by Dennis DeSantis and he wrote, that you improve your skills every time you carefully listen to a reference song. I think this is also a way to learn mixing, because you clearly notice how other producers/musicians balance their mix. And from time to time you suddenly start applying this knowledge into your tracks, without even thinking of it. Ever listened to old tracks from yourself? The first thing you will notice is, that the mix down heavily improved since then (At least this happens to me, maybe there are some geniuses out there who are able to perfectly balance their mix from the beginning). You can compare this to another art, like drawing. Perfecting your mix is like drawing perfect lines. It's something one can't really explain you, but you automatically learn it by doing and it's a essential criterion for the quality of your art.

By the way, Xilent was in the studio with Future Music. What i heard till yet is, that he talks a bit about his new album "We Are Virtual" and probably goes in detail with a certain track. Unfortunately there is no preview on youtube, so you have to directly buy the Future Music issue to get access to the video. If anyone bought it, feel free to let us know if it's good! :)

Nice one mate, I'll definitely check out Emporer's masterclass. And books and blogs are probably good to look at to rather than videos as its more about theory, right? I don't actually have any old tracks to refer to as I've only made one so far haha

Nice one mate, I'll definitely check out Emporer's masterclass. And books and blogs are probably good to look at to rather than videos as its more about theory, right? I don't actually have any old tracks to refer to as I've only made one so far haha

Of course man, you are welcome, glad if i can help!
The thing is this: In my opinion there's no theory behind mixdown. No math and algorythms behind the whole thing. If it sounds right, it sounds right, and it won't sound good to everyone anyways.
I don't want me to sound like a master of mixdown, i also struggle a lot with mixdowns, but all i can say you is, my mixdowns are one of those things that just improved with time. I can't remember looking up alot of tutorials for good mixdowns, there are just some tricks, like listening to your tune on different divices or turn down the volume, whatever ;)
Don't worry, more finished tracks will be there soon, i promise.

i have a few good vids that i found round the web.
they aren't real producer masterclasses, so they might not find their way onto the list, but
they were really helpfull (some more than others....) none the less.

some mastering advice from the mastering guys over at black octopus sound.
they also reveal their processing chains:

some more Mastering stuff, this tiem EQing:

the next one adresses the goal-setting etc. side of music production.
i can really make a difference in the long run:

MIXING! this video is from the 80s and looks a bit weird tbh, but it improved
my mixing more than any book, masterclass, article.. ever did!

here are 3h w/ audeka in their studio. they do some sounddesign and work on some of their tracks...
it's rather unsctructured and therefore feels a bit stretched, but still interesting imo.

hope there's something in here for you guys to keep you busy ;)

maybe we can even start a 2nd list underneath the producer A-Z masterclass list for stuff like mixing, mastering etc.
after all it's somewhat part of the production process?
we'll figure something out i guess, because they don't deserve to get lost. :)

Back
Top Bottom