dnbforum production competition spring 2012 - VOTING!

WHICH SONG IS THE MOST FUTURISTIC?

• Total voters
A - attire gateway
B - mashley timelapse
C - sweaty teddy vultures
D - Elzerk
E - jimbo 100 years
F - miszt bassface mk5
G - neddez transient
H - subclash laughter
I - sulihin spring thing
J - trawler fly deaeth out of state1
K - Wadefoker iceberg
L - logikz first try
M - hans tune

Congrats guys!! awesome quality throughout! Gained some good practice and knowledge while producing my track (track B) . I also learnt not to produce using one monitor as it sounds a lot worse when you listen back to it using two :P lesson learnt!:)

Congrats guys!! awesome quality throughout! Gained some good practice and knowledge while producing my track (track B) . I also learnt not to produce using one monitor as it sounds a lot worse when you listen back to it using two :P lesson learnt!:)

they say lemon d produces on one monitor. its a trick thats got a name and all. but i dont know if its true or not. anyway good work man B is intense.

they say lemon d produces on one monitor. its a trick thats got a name and all. but i dont know if its true or not. anyway good work man B is intense.

Its good to check how your track sounds in mono as thats how a lot of club systems are set up.

all judges save one have dropped out as they all lost their jobs this month and have more pressing matters on their minds right now. nacon/vidual is the only judge left so we have yet to hear from him, his judgement will be final.

nacon has confirmed that he will be writing the reviews, we spoke yesterday the 21st of may and hes been away on holidays is all. so good news everybody, also, with but one judge there wont be any disputing the winner, he is the be-all-end-all of judges. after the verdict is in i think we should start thinking about a new compo, this has been fun, and some great ideas for the next one has been floating about

Cant wait for the next one, hopefully the compo's idea will please me enough to make me enter it too.

what was your opinion on that idea they had about recreating a classic dnb track, i dont quite remember how it went

I liked this idea.

There was also the one of I guess updating your oldest track, that sounded fun too.

First of all, i’d like to show a little video to all of you:

Didn´t really turn out that way huh? Everything looks retarded and limited to the technology they had.

By all means i don’t want to hurt anyones feelings and my judgement is my own and completely neutral. Excuse my spelling as english isn´t my first language. Also i have to exucse myself for the time it took me to review the tracks as i was on a holiday and didn’t have access to internet and when i got back i had so much work on my hands it took me a week to sort all my life out and get back on track with everything.
So, here i go:

L:

On the musical side:
So it starts off with a really unusual and sci-fi’ish rythm we all would love to listen when it’s 2050.
You can hear how experimental logikz went with it right off the bat with the out of this world dirty percussion. I appreciate that the buildup and the drop of the track are very different from what they are today and no way go by todays standards. It is a mixture of chill vibes and controlled chaos.

The technical stuff:
The samples were manipulated to a point where i couldn’t recognize them, which is very good. The track was a bit too harsh on the highs and could have done with a bit more body and lows. I didn’t feel the track had a solid idea behind it and was a bit too chaotic. The track would have benifit from more different rythmical ideas and could have benifitted with a bit more sense of progression.
I Can hear the effort of making something completely futuristic and unheard of in this track.

The rating:
3/5

J:

On the musical side:

Very experimental again. I’m like the structure and sense of progression in this track a lot.
Some of the sounds there are in this track sound a lot like someone breathing through a gas mask when it drops which is really cool as it reminds me something Post apocalyptic like in the famous game“ Fallout“. Nothing really seems out of place and the track has a fair ammoumnt of energy going on throughout the whole track.

The technical stuff:
I wish the track had a more pronounced kick, even though i totally get what the samples used were like, It’s not a big issue, but it would have helped with the weight of the beat when it drops.
The track has got a pretty solid overall tonality to it and has plenty of low’s mid’s and highs and the mixdown is solid enough for the competition. Definitely liking the dirty snare, it’s brilliant and makes the track what it is. A lot to improve on for the next competition though!

The rating:
3.8/5

D:

On the musical side:

It start off real dark and progresses nicely and builds up it’s energy untill it drops. Also it sounds very controlled throughout the track. It’s chaotic and glitchy, but a lot more controlled when compared to track „L“. It’s what the future might sound like, who knows, one thing´s for sure, we will not. The sound design is quite hot in this one, but i wonder if people will use this much vocoding in the future as we are predicting in all our tunes? :D
I’m liking the rythm the bassline creates with the drums. The track is Hypnotizing. Great job!

On the technical side:

I´m feeling the mixdown of this a lot more than the 2 other tracks. It’s a lot more controlled and it’s got just enough weight and body and sharpness to deliver. The rides that start at: 1:29 definitely need to be louder though, i also noticed this as the track continues, the highs which are added need to come out a bit more. I´m predicting the next track in the next competition will be even cleaner.
The sound design is interesting to listen to, somehow reminds me of Aphex twin a lot with it's overall vibe.
I'm feeling this track is a lot more " Intelligent " When compared to the other 2 tracks in the top 3.

So, the final rating:
4.3/5

So the winner in my ears is „D“ Congratulations!

All of the tracks had a story to tell and after listening to all of them, there are some bloody hot tracks which unfortunately didn´t make it to the top 3, but the artists definitely will in the next competition.
All tracks deserve a mention!

Till next time!

Last edited by a moderator:
alright, we have a winner! massive thanks to Nacon/Vidual for his efforts on this compo!!

CONGRATS ELZERK, PM me your address and that so i can send you your prize|!|

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

I liked this idea.

There was also the one of I guess updating your oldest track, that sounded fun too.

also a good idea, lets do a thread soon on the concept for the next one shall we? i say remix a classic techstep tune or something like that, it sounds fun. but yes so thread soon when someone has a few ideas

Last edited:
what was your opinion on that idea they had about recreating a classic dnb track, i dont quite remember how it went

dont people spend enough time trying to copy other producers? also bored of samples, lets get a proper challenge going, Synth only (any synth ppl want)

Maybe I got an edge since the only judge was a neuro artist too, I don't know, but I wanna thank you all and we'll keep in touch in these forums, by the way anyone want me to post my track in samples?

BIG UPS!

Back
Top Bottom