a bit of music theory help :)

Autochords is just 16 already overused chord progressions transposed to all of the 12 major and minor keys. They still sound the same though: a 12 bar blues in F major sounds pretty much identical to a 12 bar blues in G major...

I've actually gone away from putting chord progressions in my tunes. I used to spend ages writing a chord sequence but the tracks tended to turn out sounding too musical for D&B. I'm still using chords but it tends to be just a single chord with other sounds adding variation. But I do thing its important to have an understanding of music theory to take out some of the guess work of which notes and sounds to use

I've actually gone away from putting chord progressions in my tunes. I used to spend ages writing a chord sequence but the tracks tended to turn out sounding too musical for D&B. I'm still using chords but it tends to be just a single chord with other sounds adding variation. But I do thing its important to have an understanding of music theory to take out some of the guess work of which notes and sounds to use
The use of chords will depend on how you want you song to sound like. Nevertheless, you can find anything "theory" related on the internet where you have what sounds good with what, on the go. Like the website www.teoria.com

That leona.com site looks useful. I agree that its important to understand the difference between minor, major, 7ths etc I was just referring to my experience of trying to write D&B (even Liquid) is that you don't need to write chord progressions. Of course there are exceptions like if you are trying to make epic dance floor stuff or musical stuff (like Etherwood or Keeno).

Even with dark stuff I always use chords. Switching between scales and
Augmenting/diminishing a chord can be a great turning point in a track.

Back
Top Bottom