Experts advise on Sub Bass? As used by J Majik in Feel about you.

mRes

DJ Fresh once said - never go to far with a track without checking the notes used for the sub.

Well.. :)

I have this track where the 2 notes in the bass is "in between the frequency" of a bass and a sub bass. The 2 notes used (togehter with F0 which is a "good" note (43Hz) in the bassline would be:

The keys D1 (aprx. 74 Hz) and C1 (aprx. 70 Hz)

My question: In J Majiks Feel about you 2 of the notes in the higher region of the bassline (which also could be considered as in between notes) is:

D#1 (aprx 78 Hz) - only a semitone higher the my - and F#1 which is (aprx 92 Hz)

However I noticed he has placed a Sub one octave below to FILL IT UP. Since a bass with notes in 78Hz-92Hz wouldn´t be especially FAT IN A CLUB. The notes underneath D#0 is aprx. 40 Hz and F#0 47 Hz.

Would it be a good idea to fill my two notes of 70 and 74 hz using the same techique with a: C0 (33 Hz) and a D0 (37 Hz)

Where is the Bottom LIMIT for GOOD subbbass notes?

PLEASE ONLY SERIOUS REPLIES!
33y13et.png

This is how the bass looks with a D1 and D0, would this be reasonable?

Last edited:
Where is the Bottom LIMIT for GOOD subbbass notes?

well it all depends on where your tune gets played.
Alot of systems can't handle low frequencies and generally arn't used in commercial music so a tune might sound phat on one system and less on another.
So just make sure you fill up a wider range of frequencies so they cut thru on systems .
I believe on the 36 hz website forum there is a very good thread about this sort of thing and dj vapour explains in more depth.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
well it all depends on where your tune gets played.
Alot of systems can't handle low frequencies and generally arn't used in commercial music so a tune might sound phat on one system and less on another.
So just make sure you fill up a wider range of frequencies so they cut thru on systems .
I believe on the 36 hz website forum there is a very good thread about this sort of thing and dj vapour explains in more depth.
Hope this helps.

yeh this ^ also it depeneds if its played from vinyl or mp3. as both have different frequency cut offs.

would i be right in thinking that;

as long as you're clever and don't over do it with your sub bass - you could pretty much fill all the lower frequencies with sub (as nothing else is going on down there) as long as you're hittin the right harmonics n ting, it wouldn't matter surely?

as only some systems are going to be able to handle the proper low end, and others wouldn't be able to deliver it - as long as you've got relevant harmonics happening, it should be all good?

If it's a cleanish note in your daw then your frequency analyser should show you what frequency it's peaking at.

would i be right in thinking that;

as long as you're clever and don't over do it with your sub bass - you could pretty much fill all the lower frequencies with sub (as nothing else is going on down there) as long as you're hittin the right harmonics n ting, it wouldn't matter surely?

as only some systems are going to be able to handle the proper low end, and others wouldn't be able to deliver it - as long as you've got relevant harmonics happening, it should be all good?

i remember reading somewhere that for dnb sub shouldnt go lower than E1/41 Hz, and that the punchiest region lies between F1 to G#1. it also mentioned that you shouldnt go higher than A1/55 Hz, but obviously thats just one producer's opinion, as im sure theres loads of good tunes in higher keys.
as far as the lowest being E1, i kinda agree, as thats the cuttoff for most club systems. Granted, theres monster rigs out there like the infrahorn that will go down to something ridiculous like 25 Hz, but hey, how often will your tune be played on one of them ?

in regards to the harmonics, you're right. psychoacoustics work in such a way that if you have a strong 1st overtone, the brain will perceive the fundamental, even if it cant actually be reproduced by the speakers. this works great in styles like psy trance, where you have arpeggiated basslines that sound really heavy, but sit an octave higher than the kick. In dnb, where you want the opposite bass/kick frequency relation, by adding the 1st overtone, you risk clashing with the kick. its a fucking fine science, one im still struggling with..
meh, back at the drawing board..

Last edited:
not true they just roll it off at 30hz so you can go lower its not just not as prominent but really 30 hz is pretty damn low
depends if it's an American or European vinyl though isn't it.

But still true either way actually, over looked that

depends if it's an American or European vinyl though isn't it.

But still true either way actually, over looked that
haha why would that matter where its from its the same material and generally the same cutting methods anywhere
then again the American vinyl is probably 6 times thicker just so we can pollute more :teeth:

The worst thing you can do is to overload the bottom end to make up for lesser systems not being able to play all the subtle bass frequencies, as it means when your tune is played on a decent system the bass will override the rest of the song. Speaking from experience

true so in order to counter act that you need to get an harmonic on the sub that comes through on clock radio speakers or generic pc speakers or earbuds or what have you. how you do that is anybodys guess.

Oh and sorry mRes the track is produced by J-Majik & Wickaman... Not just J-Majik (y)

Imagine if you were always getting left out of discussions because your partners name was before you lol !

Back
Top Bottom