Who'd be down for a mix competition?

JimJapBap

I'm just realizing how many good dj's we have that visit the site, and think we could have quite a fun time with a competition. We could have different categories so the people with more specific tastes know where to look. When all the mixes are submitted i could make a poll thread and everyone could vote on their favorite mixes. It'd be easy really we just need everyone out there who can play records to submit a mix. Everyone please give any suggestions or comments as too how we could do this and say somethin if you'd be interested. I don't know what you all would want for time limits/audio quality limits so voice your opinions. No editing digital mixing or whatever that shit is (didn't say no final scratch or cdjs or the like so don't feel left out). Categories that come to mind are:
Techy/Neuro
Big Tunes
Mellow/Liquid
Drumfunk/More beatsy natural sampled break kinda tunes
Hardcore/Oldskool
Turntabalist
Bouncy/Jump-up type stuff
Other/You play every style you can

we might have to simplify it more. Anyways everyone please drop any ideas.

Sounds like a good idea, but I think the categories needs to come down to like two or three.

Maybe do one category at a time?

Alright how bout Harder/Techier, Party/Jumpy/Rollers, Liquid/Mellow/Intelligent(if people even use that term anymore). Im thinking there should be a deadline for everyone to have there mixes in and then a poll post afterwards for each "style". Neuro, Dark, Ruff type stuff could fit in the Harder/Tech style. Party could be all the wobble type stuff, or anthems and such, probably the most broad. The Mellow catagory could be all the deep smooth uplifting type stuff. Or if we need to make it more simplified just do Tuff, Easy, and Misc. Eh?

I'm in, theres more to it tho, some djs have more of an advantage with tuning & equing capabilities, not to mention special effects...
but lets start like this...

what 3 themes or genres does everyone say?

1 mixture of genres (in other words the mash up) ect...
2 jump up. dancefloor ect...
3 and of course tech step/hardcore etc...

but i'd really want to see more ambient/progressive, liquid funk and throwbacks n anthems... i guess they could fall under etc... for #1

fuck the catergory's just have an all in mix comp. a good dj isnt about what style he or she plays, but how they execute it. just have everyone post their mixes for the comp in a thread, and have the mods and the dnbforum heads vote for their fav, have a cut of date for all entries in, BoH!
and a prize would be good, even a dnbforum mix comp winner for each month, or bi-month ;) = exposure for any dj

Yeah I think trying to break it down into categories seperates things to much like Klusta said just have one massive dj comp were any styles can get voted & judged on that way everyone gets a fair chance.

I think for a prize or to take it one step further get 6 of the best dj's down to an event (Breakneck hint hint) & have a live vote from the crowd!!! o_O

Heavy idea mate you'll have to let us know when its all kicking off, gud to see so much interest after all a lil bit of self promotions all good an theres so many sick DJs out there that deserve it keep me informed mate! :respekt:

If u're still looking for categories than trance'n'bass! Otherwise idea of judging not categorized mix is better imo. :bump:

Im up for this, I think there should be different catagories tho, SDM's idea of a different style each month is good, then dj's who play different types of dnb can enter all the comps if they want but DJ's who play one style only get there mix compared to similar mixes, even if the comp is focussed on DJ skills A jump up head would vote for a jump up mix over a liquid set or whatever. IMO :mkay:

Well i know some of you are very specific about your tastes in music so that was the reasoning behind the category thing, a different one every month or so sounds good right now. Maybe at the end of the year or so we could have best overall vote or something and then it wouldn't matter what style you played, people would just vote on their favorite mix and that would crown the king(or queen) of 2005. A funny little idea i had was make it an iron chef type deal where some dnbforum celeb type person (sdm,1992,triple m, etc.) could give a criteria to center the mix around, thoughts on that?
As for the prize thing i don't know what to say cause i don't have anything to give and i don't think anyone should have to pay an entry fee or somethin, If anyones got anything to donate speak up! We should keep it as acessible as possible for everyone so we can get a good pool of mixes. Playing at breakneck is a real cool idea but not everyone here lives in the UK, so airfare and all that would be an issue. Keep dropping your ideas everyone, we need to do this right if we do it.

Edit:
For the issue of hosting i think everyones gonna have to do it themselves. Shouldn't be that hard though with stuff like yousendit.com availiable. Unless the forum's got more space than they know what to do with it, which i doubt is the case.

Last edited:
definately, i could host a few mixes (jizzle walkizzle, i know ur lookin at me aren't u?).

The monthly idea seems best at the moment :)

loving this idea. i think it should it leave this thread and become a proper dnbforum thing rather than a competition in a thread. different categories is good in my eyes. not too many though as lots of you have said. i like the sound of 'jungle', 'hard and techy', 'liquid' and 'dancefloory jump up and anthems'. as for prizes, having the best few play at an event is a great idea. if it became a proper site thing i think a couple of dnbforum goodies like shirts and stuff would suffice. maybe a couple of breakneck tickets. just a few ideas :2thumbs: someone sort this out though cos i'm pretty keen :2thumbs:

This is just the discussion where we plan it out and get it all nice and dialed. We'll post different threads for different mix categories and votings and such.

this is turning out to be a nice thread, i think thats a clever idea about the mods detailing a mix comp., but in all respect the category thing is about comparing apples to oranges, i would have expected my fellow junglists to realize the genre capabilities of our mega-genre giant called drum & BASS! You just can't compare B Key with Zinc, or Noisia with High Contrast... or john b with anyone but thats another story, oh!
its all about the versitality so theres def a category for that, we all agreed on that... so now you have to take into consideration of the sets that will only be one type, or a select sound... they just wont compare to the mash ups, and again Leon Swich doesnt compare to Nu Tone haha
Someone book that Kryptic Minds & Leon Switch vs. Nu Tone & Logistics!! haha

Back
Top Bottom