Requiring ID for clubs / raves

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
Just thought I'd highlight this problem, especially for those attending events based in Portsmouth, UK.

I'm not sure about anywhere else in the UK, or the world for that matter, but here in Portsmouth there seems to be an increase in ID being required for entry into clubs.

Even if you are blatantly over 18 years of age, the chances are you will require ID to enter. Suitable forms of ID include a UK passport and UK drivers license (new plastic license). I'm pretty sure most clubs do not accept the Prove It cards (due to ease of obtaining a fake), or Credit / Debit cards as suitable forms of ID.

So before you venue out next time, don't let it ruin your night, please make sure you're prepared with a suitable form of ID!

If anyone cares to add to this thread, or discuss it, please feel free to do so ;]

apparently its some new government directive to try & stop binge drinking and underage drinking. all the police forces have been told to lock down on it so they've in turn briefed all of the venues. this is a country wide thing so will affect a lot of people.

I.D is a problem.but almost every dnb event in and around london you dont even need it .pompey is the most known place that has tightend there rules in my views .and bourmouth from past exsperiances...any way i dont need I.D cuz i look like a real man :rolf:

It definitely goes from one extreme to the next. I can remember there were certain places we'd frequent as youths, due to the fact the staff were extremely lax in checking for ID. And other venues were extremely tight.

To be honest, I can't remember the time I was last ID'd going into a venue, but a couple of weeks ago, I got checked when buying ciggies in a shop I've been using for years..

From what I can gather, venues generally only ask if they don't want you going in there in the first place. I just make sure I've always got my driving licence with me.

From what I've heard on this site, Pompey does seem to be real tight on the ID front tho..

ive never been ID for a rave since i started a good few years back but in the last few months i got ID'd at One Nation, Nightlife 2 Launch and Return to V. I dont mind cause im of legal age and always carry my drivers license but i think its completely pointless IDin at events such as these. The bouncers are just trying to fuck with ya, mate was IDd at One Nation same as me and he doesnt have a valid ID they still let him in, its just to shake you up a bit as far as i can see.

Pointless, but nice idea on the heads up.

Would be so pissed to travel hours n be turned away cause some jumped up bouncer has decided to ID everyone.

Yer, it is a bit pointless innit, no way is it going to stop me binge drinking - I'll just do it at the local instead of at a rave...

Where I work (YES I WORK IN A SUPERMARKET DEAL WITH IT I HAVE TO EARN SOME MONEY INBETWEEN SIXTH FORM STUDIES)... Anyways, the _official_ line is that if a customer looks under 21 we should ID them if they're buying alcohol. Not 18, 21.

Even odder is the fact that you have to be 16 to buy smokes, but 18 to buy a lighter. What's up with that.

It has become much tighter here in Cheltenham as well. We have started putting "NO ID, NO ENTRY" on the posters cause they checked everyone, even if you looked much older.

In Belgium we don't know about such things. The only thing I know now is that you must be 16 years to enter "I Love Techno" in Gent.
But yeah that's techno :sniper: . When i'm in a pub or so 16 year old kids buy beer or so and even younger kids! We don't have such things.
Don't know if my reply was good enough.

Oli said:
The bouncers are just trying to fuck with ya, mate was IDd at One Nation same as me and he doesnt have a valid ID they still let him in, its just to shake you up a bit as far as i can see.

Pointless, but nice idea on the heads up.

Would be so pissed to travel hours n be turned away cause some jumped up bouncer has decided to ID everyone.

Completely agree the bouncers just check for ID to make people nervous. They never look at the ID properly. Me and my mate got Id'd at Kombination Funk. I was ok, had my drivers liscence and was over age. But my mate wasn't. He still gave the bouncer his driving liscence and was let in. Despite the fact it clearly said he was only 17 :towelie:

12 inch grinch said:
I.D is a problem.but almost every dnb event in and around london you dont even need it

That's because if things like One Nation started turning away everyone under 18 there would be about 10 people in there ;)

It was normally the case that they'd tighten up for about a week when something bad happened then sod it.

A bit like the supposed clamp downs on violence in clubs in Brum. They'd have a no tracksuit, no caps no hoods rule at loads of nights which kinda cleared things up but it rarely got enforced strongly enough.

That is one thing I'm glad of - there's a no hoodies, no caps rule going out for this valve gig on Friday at the Brunel Rooms in Swindon that I'm going to - that'll REALLY piss off all the chavs. Gonna love taking pics of all their hat hair and posting em on the internet.

Bet they'll still all be decked out in their Argos Mens' Jewellery plated gold finery and sporting those stupid shirts with random writing all over them. God bless the chavs.

chav it mate!!!!

The no hats n hoodies thing im in two minds about, yeah it stops the chavs to a certain extent but a hoody is the only thing that gets me through a rave because you can just tie it round ya waist, not have to deal with the arseholes in the cloakroom and it saves you once you step outside from the harsh force that is reality at the end of night.

... if it stops all the badboys putting them up over their heads mid-evening then I'm all for it. ;) A good sensible manly jumper, stripes or zigzag patterns optional. ;)

that no hat or hoodie rule seems a bit whack.
in nz we have always had tight rules about underagers at raves only if the area is licenced!if they tried to impose a no hat or no hoodie rule here the places would empty out, but generally we have very little trouble as it is, our clubs are way too small!!!

axon said:
that no hat or hoodie rule seems a bit whack.
in nz we have always had tight rules about underagers at raves only if the area is licenced!if they tried to impose a no hat or no hoodie rule here the places would empty out, but generally we have very little trouble as it is, our clubs are way too small!!!

.. suppose it's different-rules-apply-time for a big venue like the Brunel Rooms. :/

sdm

judging by your picture id say that you are obviously over 18.

I was just wondering, when you go to clubs do you shave your beard off before you go in? or do the bouncers just think your a Sikh (type of relion, not aloud to shave or cut head hair) and thats why at 14 years old you have a full beard? or is it that they are just cunt bouncers and want to pick on tiny tim?

p.s brunel rooms used to be a rude club!, but they got new owners and now they've gone all Ben Sherman! bring back herbie jeans!!!!!

Last edited:
ALPHA'mC said:
sdm

I was just wondering, when you go to clubs do you shave your beard off before you go in? or do the bouncers just think your a Sikh (type of relion, not aloud to shave or cut head hair) and thats why at 14 years old you have a full beard? or is it that they are just cunt bouncers and want to pick on tiny tim?

p.s brunel rooms used to be a rude club!, but they got new owners and now they've gone all Ben Sherman! bring back herbie jeans!!!!!
yeh, you cant tell from his picture but smd's actually about 3' tall. we have to put a box behind the decks when he plays so he can see over them
you'd i.d. him if you were a bouncer

ALPHA'mC said:
sdm

My beard has been a part of my life for a while now, I'd never get rid of it now! Well.. Not anytime soon.

I'm not, or have not ever been referred to as a 'Sikh'.

Well the bouncers at the Pier in Portsmouth don't pick on just anyone, they ID EVERYONE. I was ID'd on Friday!

skope said:
yeh, you cant tell from his picture but smd's actually about 3' tall. we have to put a box behind the decks when he plays so he can see over them
you'd i.d. him if you were a bouncer
Hahaah, you had me roffling out loud at work then :uberlaugh :lol:

:rolf:

Back
Top Bottom