Playaz vinyl: Break - Strictly Entertainment & Hazard - Bricks Don't Roll EP

WhoSayReload?

VIP Junglist
PLAYAZ052-55.jpg

Playaz are doing pre-orders for limited presses Bricks Don't Roll / Mk Q & Break - Strictly Entertainment / Dulcid Tones

- Meaning that if they hit their quota they will press these two releases.

Being sold exclusively from the label store: http://playaz.co.uk/store/limited-vinyl-release-pre-orders/

Not sure how much I agree with this policy considering the success of releases like these, but I understand times are tough / vinyl sales have dwindled etc.

Regardless, this is a great opportunity to acquire a pair of quality releases on wax.

Last edited:
Nice, just bagged both of these, shame there's no Death Sport on vinyl though, I thought that would be the other tune to make it alongside Bricks Don't Roll.

I actually think more labels should run these sort of schemes, even if it turns out there's not enough demand it's hardly like anyone's lost anything is it?

Death Sport on the flip would have been instapurchase. I've bagged the Break 12 instead.

I just hit pascal up on facebook and said much the same mate, he said they'd consider rolling out pre-orders for vinyl on all of their releases.

This side of the scene could do with having a resurgence in vinyl, considering it all seemed to die off when Nu Urban went bust.

Not sure how much I agree with this policy considering the success of releases like these, but I understand times are tough / vinyl sales have dwindled etc.

I'm guessing it boils down to the rants they had when they pressed a record in demand last time and then only sold half the amount they were asked to press. At least this way if they hit their 'break even' quota and press them up, they know they're all sold!

I'm guessing it boils down to the rants they had when they pressed a record in demand last time and then only sold half the amount they were asked to press. At least this way if they hit their 'break even' quota and press them up, they know they're all sold!
I think it's fair enough, especially considering that they don't do vinyl anymore. They're making extra effort to get these tunes on wax, and aiming for a break even target means that they're basically doing this for free only to supply the wax heads.
I'm not gonna hate on people don't wanting to lose money :)

Doesn't help when they're only selling through their store though. Would probably sell better on redeye etc.

I'm guessing it boils down to the rants they had when they pressed a record in demand last time and then only sold half the amount they were asked to press

um, which release only sold half they were asked to press? because Time Tripping is all sold out everywhere (with 127 people wanting it on discogs), and Never the Same EP is sold out everywhere (with 51 people wanting it on discogs). If you were referring to Original Sin - Superman EP, then it was a stupid decision and they pressed the wrong tunes anyway, so can't go blaming the market (I didn't buy it...)

I think it's fair enough, especially considering that they don't do vinyl anymore. They're making extra effort to get these tunes on wax, and aiming for a break even target means that they're basically doing this for free only to supply the wax heads.
I'm not gonna hate on people don't wanting to lose money :)

Exactly!

Doesn't help when they're only selling through their store though. Would probably sell better on redeye etc.

Does it really matter which 'buy' button you click? All comes through the same letterbox.

um, which release only sold half they were asked to press? because Time Tripping is all sold out everywhere (with 127 people wanting it on discogs), and Never the Same EP is sold out everywhere (with 51 people wanting it on discogs). If you were referring to Original Sin - Superman EP, then it was a stupid decision and they pressed the wrong tunes anyway, so can't go blaming the market (I didn't buy it...)

I can't remember from memory. I just remember them pressing something 'in demand' and then sales being really slow.

I feel some anger in your post?!

At least this option guarantees the sales for them no?!

Last edited:
I feel some anger in your post?!

At least this option guarantees the sales for them no?!

yeah man, it is well documented that I was not a fan of how Playaz was doing the vinyl thing for a bit there - they basically rubbished the whole vinyl industry publicly, then put up a 'pre-order' of one of their releases can't remember which one) via Chemical and Redeye and used the lack of sales of it as more ammunition to do more public sledging of the industry (which is bullshit as not many vinyl buyers pre-order anything apart from very special releases anymore). A few of us (including myself) suggested they do a pre-order system to test the viability of pressing a release, which they did for Time Trippping / Bumble Bee's, which was a resounding success (as far as I am aware). Off the back of that they pressed the Never The Same EP, which seemed to do pretty well, and then all of a sudden pressed that Original Sin 12" (which I thought was a bit average at best, considering they didn't choose the right tunes off the EP for it IMO), and it sold as I would have expected (poorly) - then they were back to publicly rubbishing the vinyl scene again.

I just got the feeling from them that they almost wanted it to fail, so then they could publicly mock it all and have an excuse to not bother pressing any more releases. When Hype made the announcement that he was changing to Traktor the whole label just seemed to have turned their back on an industry that they had been a huge part of for so many years.

Lately they seem to be a lot more positive towards it, which is great. I think labels should be very appreciative towards those of us who are prepared to shell out good money for their releases on vinyl, especially with the rife nature of digital sharing and throw-away nature of a lot of music these days.

^^^ very true

Pre-ordered both bits. In my opinion, they should run this 'pre-order to see if we get enough interest to press said tunes to vinyl' on every Hazard release on Playaz. We all know he's the golden boy on that label

^^^ very true

Pre-ordered both bits. In my opinion, they should run this 'pre-order to see if we get enough interest to press said tunes to vinyl' on every Hazard release on Playaz. We all know he's the golden boy on that label

Yep, stupidly missed Time Tripping.

yeah man, it is well documented that I was not a fan of how Playaz was doing the vinyl thing for a bit there - they basically rubbished the whole vinyl industry publicly, then put up a 'pre-order' of one of their releases can't remember which one) via Chemical and Redeye and used the lack of sales of it as more ammunition to do more public sledging of the industry (which is bullshit as not many vinyl buyers pre-order anything apart from very special releases anymore). A few of us (including myself) suggested they do a pre-order system to test the viability of pressing a release, which they did for Time Trippping / Bumble Bee's, which was a resounding success (as far as I am aware). Off the back of that they pressed the Never The Same EP, which seemed to do pretty well, and then all of a sudden pressed that Original Sin 12" (which I thought was a bit average at best, considering they didn't choose the right tunes off the EP for it IMO), and it sold as I would have expected (poorly) - then they were back to publicly rubbishing the vinyl scene again.

I just got the feeling from them that they almost wanted it to fail, so then they could publicly mock it all and have an excuse to not bother pressing any more releases. When Hype made the announcement that he was changing to Traktor the whole label just seemed to have turned their back on an industry that they had been a huge part of for so many years.

Lately they seem to be a lot more positive towards it, which is great. I think labels should be very appreciative towards those of us who are prepared to shell out good money for their releases on vinyl, especially with the rife nature of digital sharing and throw-away nature of a lot of music these days.

Makes sense that you're not happy with them to be fair. I didn't know the full story as the last time I bought a playaz release on vinyl it was true playaz and probably about 12-13 years ago!

We'll have to see if they hit their numbers to press then!

Back
Top Bottom