Question about some hardware

mAEx

Hey,

I get 16 in 3 weeks = money :D

So I thought about buying me some hardware.
What du you guys think is important for me as a beginner?

I want some standard things with good quality
Shouldn't be too expensive, but not to cheap

I already have some good headphones

First I thought about updating my cubase from the demoversion to the artist-version
Then I thought about boxes
and a MIDI-keyboard ( 2 octaves ? )

What of these hardware would you recommend for me? ( Please with a link to it )
Is there another important hardware?
Or shall I better buy software?

So please help me, its up to you what I'll buy with the new money :D

Thanks for your help,
Greets

Last edited:
Id say upgrade to Cubase 6. Cuz with your demo running out you aint gonna be doing much with that hardware buddy ;)

Have a serious look at some other software though, try their demos too. I'm a little bias toward Cubase as i use it. But yeah. Try some tings.

Gotta prioritize your needs, based off what you've said in already, I'd recommend you take care of your daw first, then a midi keyboard, then audio interface and you can make the decision on whether or not you want to get some vsts or monitors. DAW and midi keyboard are most important imo - not really much in terms of hardware that you could get that would benefit you at all without those two things.

I'd say Monitors are the most important thing you can get. Not much point in a keyboard if you can't hear what you're doing...

Id say upgrade to Cubase 6. Cuz with your demo running out you aint gonna be doing much with that hardware buddy ;)

Have a serious look at some other software though, try their demos too. I'm a little bias toward Cubase as i use it. But yeah. Try some tings.

I also checked Fl studios but I dont like it really much...
Logic seems cool, too, but I dont have a Mac
And reason/ableton seems to be quiet similar to Cubase
And I also dont really want to 'learn' a new programm...
But why are you bias toward it??

Gotta prioritize your needs, based off what you've said in already, I'd recommend you take care of your daw first, then a midi keyboard, then audio interface and you can make the decision on whether or not you want to get some vsts or monitors. DAW and midi keyboard are most important imo - not really much in terms of hardware that you could get that would benefit you at all without those two things.

I'd say Monitors are the most important thing you can get. Not much point in a keyboard if you can't hear what you're doing...

Okay so I made a list now:

- DAW-update
- midi-keyboard
- audio interfaces
- boxes

( monitors will be a bit difficult because I have a laptop^^ )

Which models would you recommend for me?

I have a laptop. Monitors are not difficult.
I would say that monitors are the single most important thing you want for production and of course you need a DAW. All I have is a pair of edirol monitors and a 2 and a half octave edirol midi keyboard with knobs on ( definitely try and find one with knobs assignable!).
I also have another screen so maybe consider one if you have any leftover moniesss.
I would spend no more than 100ish on a keyboard- make sure u spend enough on the monitors though- at least a couple hundred- dont worry too much about the sub of them just make sure they have a crystal clear sound at high and low volumes. Also I wouldnt bother with an audio interface unless your planning on doing lots of recording. If you prefer the sampling and synthesising tactic then you hardly need an interface- especially when ur still looking at getting a daw, monitors and keys!!!

You keep talking about "boxes", what do you mean by that? Just a guess (and I could well be wrong) but I'm thinking that you keep saying "boxes" but really mean audio interface. Again I could be wrong, just trying to make sense of what you mean when you say "boxes".

Also I wouldnt bother with an audio interface unless your planning on doing lots of recording. If you prefer the sampling and synthesising tactic then you hardly need an interface- especially when ur still looking at getting a daw, monitors and keys!!!
This is a very bad advice mate. Since most audio interfaces are actually just a box with in- and outputs that connects to the soundcard that goes with it. Now this is where the magic in terms of latency and audio quality are. An audio interface with an soundcard, either internal or external, USB or non-USB will offer you much less latency and much better audio quality than when working with an simple on-board audio card or one of the simple gaming/listening soundcards. The simple cards that can be found in most complete computer systems are not suited for producing and it will result in worse audio quality and possibly a lot of latency.

You keep talking about "boxes", what do you mean by that? Just a guess (and I could well be wrong) but I'm thinking that you keep saying "boxes" but really mean audio interface. Again I could be wrong, just trying to make sense of what you mean when you say "boxes".
I think with boxes he means speakers. Dude listen, your best thing to do would be upgrading your DAW, then buying a audio interface since the last thing will give you the possibility to connect your MONITOR speakers through the interface to your laptop. ;) I would get the keyboard last, since it's just a tool to make things easier while everything you can do with it can also be done without. I spend my first five years producing on shitty speakers and it kept me from improving, I started improving at a rapid pace when I ditched them and got myself a pair of monitors and an audio interface.

Last edited:
i circumvented the audio interface by getting a soundcraft desk. youll need one eventually of course, youll need both eventually so id say monitors, a desk, a good soundcard with audio interface, midi controller aaaaand an electric guitar. so you can shred.

Thank you guys for your tips

I think with boxes he means speakers. Dude listen, your best thing to do would be upgrading your DAW, then buying a audio interface since the last thing will give you the possibility to connect your MONITOR speakers through the interface to your laptop. ;) I would get the keyboard last, since it's just a tool to make things easier while everything you can do with it can also be done without. I spend my first five years producing on shitty speakers and it kept me from improving, I started improving at a rapid pace when I ditched them and got myself a pair of monitors and an audio interface.

Yes, speakers I meant :D

So I made a new list:

DAW ( Cubase ) update > audio interface > monitors > midi-keyboard > speakers
Is this list okay?

But now.. hmm... it's hard to explain it for me..
From which manufracturer should I buy these things?
You know I mean like: ' I would recommend you the audio intereface ''Alesis IO 2 Express'' because its an nice price and it's a good quality'

First, monitors ARE speakers mate.. So for production you'll just need monitors in terms of speakers, nothing more. Then it would be best to buy the soundcard/interface at the same time when buying the monitors, since your soundcard wouldn't be of that much use without some proper speakers, and vice versa.

I got an old audiointerface from my dad today
It's called 'Speedio' from Novation
Do you think it's a good interface?

Greets

Hey mAex,

Best thing (as others have said) is to get Cubase. It's expensive but a worthy investment. But get 6.5 as this has some nice additional features.

So many people recommending Monitors yet nobody has mentioned room treatment??

IMO it's pointless buying monitors if your room isn't treated, just because you have a pair of KRK's doesn't mean your getting a true sound. A bad room will colour your sound anyway so your monitors are not going to be that effective. You should spend an equal amount on room treatment if not more, than on your monitors.

Any sort of list will be a "what came first, chicken or the egg?" type of deal.

Your going to need all of what has been mentioned eventually so order of purchase is down to your preference.

i sort of agree, but how many video's have i watched with top notch producers sat in odd shaped rooms with what looks like next to no room treatment?!?!

Yeah I've seen those videos too, Rusko's room looks terrible. But most top notch producers will have the final mix done by an engineer who has a perfectly treated room, then mastered in a mastering suite.

Either that or they have spent years mastering there environment and how to make allowances for the colouration. But for a beginner such as the OP, rushing out to buy monitors it not necessary the top priority. Especially if his budget is small, cheap monitors are not very accurate, so if your gonna have to learn to make allowances for shitty monitors you might as well do the same on your hifi speakers and save yourself a couple of hundred quid.

My suggestion would be spending a bit on some studio quality headphones, do the majority of your mix on those, when your happy with it then find as many refrence sources as possible to iron out the creases.

Just my opinion though and I know others make it work differently.

I would say quality monitors and some acoustic treatment would be a great fundamental starting point on which to build.
All your choices in software are going to sound much better and that is going to trounce the hardware acquisitions for some time yet.

Of course a keyboard PC etc. is also fundamental in music making.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
mastering dance music

Back
Top Bottom