old skool bass like harvest - militant

mistasfx

MISTA SFX
VIP Junglist
ive tried in vain to create this kind of bass. ive tried sine waves n seem to get the closest sound when usin 24bit band pass filters but i feel theres an easier way.

anyone help??

Ive been making some grime lately which im assuming is a pretty similar sound.

Cant tell you how to make the exact same sound as i dont have time to actually try it... but this is how some of the old school bass sounds were made

Record a distorted reese or any bass with a bit of low end as an 8 bar loop... the sound really doesnt matter too much here
you can also use a stretched 808 kick

Load it into your sampler
Slap on a low pass filter at around 70-100 hz
Put the resonance anywhere from 30-60%

Now you want to play with the attack, decay and release of the filter until it matches the sound you want...
You also might want to play around with a filter lfo to give it some extra wobble
With some samples youll need to change the pitch... normally up

Hope that helps:)

thats one way of going about it, the other is just clean 808 samples with different volume lfos. you can get a free vsti that does a great emulation of the 808 with heaps of parameters too, so get a kick with heaps of sustain and lots of attack, boost in 500 hz region and resample that. pitch bend. loop points. volume lfo. lots of classic sounds to be found that way. if you put an overdrive on it and crank the gain you get dillinja bass. the 808 and a james brown break really comprises the whole of dnb if i think about it with my brain.

thats one way of going about it, the other is just clean 808 samples with different volume lfos. you can get a free vsti that does a great emulation of the 808 with heaps of parameters too, so get a kick with heaps of sustain and lots of attack, boost in 500 hz region and resample that. pitch bend. loop points. volume lfo. lots of classic sounds to be found that way. if you put an overdrive on it and crank the gain you get dillinja bass. the 808 and a james brown break really comprises the whole of dnb if i think about it with my brain.

what vst is that m8??

Back
Top Bottom