How to make contact with sample owner?

JAWX

I am working on a track with full Rap from another artist (Acapella). I've sent an e-mail to the record label who owns the track, a soundcloud msg and used the contact form on their website, but no reply! Do I need to use a management to get in touch?

The baic of the track is more or less finish.. just need alittle more "fine tuning" on the wrinting and sounds, and do all the EQ, Compression, Limiter.. Mastering. But I don't really want to do all that work if the record label say "No way!".. so I kinda need to know if they want to co-operate or not before I spend more time on this track and send it to record labels. No need to send it if I cannot use the "sample".

Here is alittle sample (don't mind the beginning where the Gate is fucking up the talking in the intro)

https://soundcloud.com/jaw-wiken/jawx-feat-gavlyn-title-tba/s-1ya5i

the chances are that you'll never receive a reply from both artist or label. And, if you do there are two possibilities: they are going to charge you over the royalties of using the vocals, or they're going to say to you that you're not allowed to use the sample.

And you can forget sending this song to other record labels with protected material in it. They won't accept it as well.

How well known is the rapper? Well fuck it, just use it anyway. Unless you are selling over 10,000 copies, then no-one is gonna care lol.

just listened to the track why the fuck would you want those vocals anyway
they are terrible

My thoughts are that I would have to get a label to make interest, wanting to release the track, and they would be able to make some arrangement with the owner. The best situation would be if the owner said "Hell yeah, this is a good track. Get back to us if a record label is interesten, and weæll talk about it". That way I could have sent the track to labels, saying that the Rap part is good to go and that part of royalties will go to the owner or something.

How well known is the rapper? Well fuck it, just use it anyway. Unless you are selling over 10,000 copies, then no-one is gonna care lol.

You know, labels have their own agenda when it comes to royalties. They consider suing someone over royalties as something that they can have some profit. So I'm not sure if this is a good advice.

You know, labels have their own agenda when it comes to royalties. They consider suing someone over royalties as something that they can have some profit. So I'm not sure if this is a good advice.

Why would they try to sue if its gonna cost more to take someone to court then what the track has actually made?

Lots of rappers sell mixtapes were they are rapping over well known beats, and they don't get sued. Cos i'm guessing they don't sell enough copies of the mixtapes to make it worthwhile.

just listened to the track why the fuck would you want those vocals anyway
they are terrible

Yeah, you think? I like feedback!! If most people think it sucks, I should consider dropping that rap, yes.. Maybe get some other rapper to do an original instead (?)

- - - Updated - - -

She is kinda up and coming. Been underground, but are now touring all over the world, been on Snoops TV-show online etc.. http://gavlyn.com/

yea i would try and get some one to do an original vocal for it (then all the problem with getting the rights will be gone too)
tune itself isnt bad though man just not really my kinda thing

Why would they try to sue if its gonna cost more to take someone to court then what the track has actually made?

Lots of rappers sell mixtapes were they are rapping over well known beats, and they don't get sued. Cos i'm guessing they don't sell enough copies of the mixtapes to make it worthwhile.

Not protecting a copyright when you have known violations can have legal ramifications.

I am working on a track with full Rap from another artist (Acapella). I've sent an e-mail to the record label who owns the track, a soundcloud msg and used the contact form on their website, but no reply! Do I need to use a management to get in touch?

The baic of the track is more or less finish.. just need alittle more "fine tuning" on the wrinting and sounds, and do all the EQ, Compression, Limiter.. Mastering. But I don't really want to do all that work if the record label say "No way!".. so I kinda need to know if they want to co-operate or not before I spend more time on this track and send it to record labels. No need to send it if I cannot use the "sample".

Here is alittle sample (don't mind the beginning where the Gate is fucking up the talking in the intro)

https://soundcloud.com/jaw-wiken/jawx-feat-gavlyn-title-tba/s-1ya5i

Just use it. Let them contact you. If you are top 40, you might get sued. If not, artists like royalties and will probably be cool with it; unless it really offends them in some way. You may want to be careful with the copyright though (performance stuff). Keep in mind though, I am not a lawyer, and I cannot promise you that this advice will not screw you in some way or another. This is just something I would do personally...

So you spent time getting the track this far but are not going to EQ it etc until you make contact with the record label?! Why did you bother starting it in the first place if you wont continue any further until you get a response?

Just finish the track, F**k them if they wont reply, I had the same with using an acapella from a tune, I contacted the label and the artist, and they did not reply, so I just released the tune anyway, and nobody challenged it. Ulterior Motive used a vocal by the same artist, and I know for a fact that vocal did not have clearance!

Keep in mind, if you're using samples and sounds that you haven't gotten permission to use, some labels won't take the risk. If its a free download situation, then no one cares.

The rap acapella is out for download, for a previous remix contest.

Right, but if you plan on making money with it, they might get upset.

Id stay safe and either not use it, or put it up for free. either way, it isn't your last track. who cares. put it up for free and move on.

I got a reply for the manager. They liked it and were thinking about getting it released as a remix for Gav, the rapper :) But first I have to finish it, obviously!

Back
Top Bottom