Rifine Beats & Bass 9 - Dub Phizix, Skeptical, Loxy, Two Fingers, Om Unit

The Watcha

VIP Junglist
This months B&B invites some new artists to the series in the form of Hybris, Foreign Concept, Sunchase and Heavy1, while keeping the minimal back bone in the episodes so far and staying true to the stripped back elements that the series is aiming for. Still 100% vinyl

I know 1 of the tunes in the tracklist is meant to be played at 33 rpm, but I have always played it at 45 rpm, and it doesn’t sound out of place in there in my opinion. Enjoy!

Tracklist:-

Indigo - Tethys (Samurai Horo)
The Binary Collective - Sin Skin 2 (XXX Records)
Hybris - Out Of Place (Invisible Recordings)
Dub Phizix - Happy 5 (Exit Records)
Foreign Concept & Riya - Affliction (Critical Music)
Sam KDC - Surrender (Auxiliary)
Naibu - Just Like You (Fracture rmx) (Horizons X)
Loxy & Skeptical - Cylon Theme (Cylon)
Sunchase - Nathnemmia (Utopia Music)
Instramental - Fist Level 2B (Exit Records)
Two Fingers - Defender Rhythm (Big Dada)
Consequence - Feeling Like We Do (Exit Records)
Ruffhouse & Clarity - Persecute (Modulations)
Loxy & Isotone - Ancients (Skeptical rmx) (Cylon)
Naibu - Decay (Om Unit rmx) (Horizons X)
Beastie Respond - One More Second (Exit Records)
Heavy1 - Prison (Yabai 81)
Loxy & Resound - Conscious (Exit Records)
Lynx & Aaron J - Mule (31 Records)
Dub Phizix - The Editor (Soul:R)
Two Fingers - Fools Rhythm (Big Dada)
Om Unit & Kromestar - Lightworkers Call (Civil Music)
Mutated Forms - High Sines Low Claps (Grid Recordings)

Last edited:
Re: Rifine Beats & Bass 9 - Dub Phizix, Skeptical, Loxy, Two Fingers, Om Unit

Just finished....comments on SC mang!

Back to the top!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and i think that Hybris trak is called Out Of Place .........

this looks amazing, very jealous that you have 'Dub Phizix - The Editor (Soul:R)', I need to get me that!

I've got rubbish internet atm so might not be able to listen just yet but this is top of the list

All over it mate. TL looks tasty.

Wicked. Loving that.

Cheers Ted! Hope you like it and see you've been leaving some SC comments (y) RIP Modulations indeed

Just finished....comments on SC mang!

Back to the top!

Oh and i think that Hybris trak is called Out Of Place .........

Nice one Beknoxx! Thanks for the comments and the tune name correction man. Was waiting to see if someone would notice that :teeth:
The blend with Persecute - Ancients rmx I would have liked to keep in for longer and does sound great when Persecute just goes to its rumbling riddim in the mix, but wanted to make sure I cued up Decay rmx as best I could, as Ancients rmx - Decay rmx had been giving me some jip when checking the levels on that 3 tune string.

Looking forward to hearing this one, track list looks big mate

this looks amazing, very jealous that you have 'Dub Phizix - The Editor (Soul:R)', I need to get me that!

I've got rubbish internet atm so might not be able to listen just yet but this is top of the list

Sound Danny & Terps! Let me know your thoughts when you can. I try my best :)
And Terps, don't sleep on tunes if you see them and want them ;)

Yes mate. Just finished it. I was almost able to listen at work to the whole thing in one go without being disturbed and having to pause, but someone bothered me in the last 1/4. So close!

It's a really good mix. Selection was top notch, mostly minimal but without getting that little bit lifeless. I sometimes loose interest in a mix when its all minimal but this one flowed nicely with peaks in the right places to keep you locked in. Mixes were all clean and tidy. A pukka hour's entertainment for my Thursday morning.
Thanks man.

enjoyable mix as always, another good B&B. Track selection was nice and mixes were smooth, had a really nice flow throughout. Favourite section in this mix for me had to be Dub Phizix - Happy 5 > Foreign Concept & Riya - Affliction > Sam KDC - Surrender > Naibu - Just Like You (Fracture rmx) > Loxy & Skeptical - Cylon Theme, loved the selection there and mixes were tight, big up on this one mate looking forward to the next B&B

Yes mate. Just finished it. I was almost able to listen at work to the whole thing in one go without being disturbed and having to pause, but someone bothered me in the last 1/4. So close!

It's a really good mix. Selection was top notch, mostly minimal but without getting that little bit lifeless. I sometimes loose interest in a mix when its all minimal but this one flowed nicely with peaks in the right places to keep you locked in. Mixes were all clean and tidy. A pukka hour's entertainment for my Thursday morning.
Thanks man.

Thanks for listening and the feedback Ted! I try to keep it as entertaining as possible, without becoming sleepy, and trying to take the mix on different directions if I can.
Glad you liked it! I really enjoyed mixing this one compared to B&B 8. Some tend to flow more than others. Hopefully No.10 can live up to this one :)

enjoyable mix as always, another good B&B. Track selection was nice and mixes were smooth, had a really nice flow throughout. Favourite section in this mix for me had to be Dub Phizix - Happy 5 > Foreign Concept & Riya - Affliction > Sam KDC - Surrender > Naibu - Just Like You (Fracture rmx) > Loxy & Skeptical - Cylon Theme, loved the selection there and mixes were tight, big up on this one mate looking forward to the next B&B

Cheers Danny! More kind words from yourself and I echo sub-notes from ted's words.
Pleased you liked Happy 5 - Affliction - Surrender as I wanted to get the bounce from Affliction working with the beat in Happy 5, then with the additional bit of prominent percussion at the end of the bars in Surrender. Then with Surrender - Just Like You rmx - Cylon Theme....... I loved mixing that Surrender - Just Like You rmx as the latter ramps up the very minimal Surrender slightly with out becoming too much, paving the way for Cylon Theme to make it slightly more rolling minimal, with both of the last 2 just seeming to fit nicely together in my opinion. Thanks for mentioning those

Sorry it's taken me ages to get around to this one, but I'm here at last! Listening through this while at work so can't write down a huge amount of thoughts but hopefully can later.

I did not think Happy 5 and Affliction would go well together at all when i saw the tracklist. I was wrong. Amazing selection through out man, everything worked with everything. These b&b episodes are getting better and better. I'll listen back through at some point and jot some more in depth thoughts down. Listening to b&b 8 again now

Sorry it's taken me ages to get around to this one, but I'm here at last! Listening through this while at work so can't write down a huge amount of thoughts but hopefully can later.

I did not think Happy 5 and Affliction would go well together at all when i saw the tracklist. I was wrong. Amazing selection through out man, everything worked with everything. These b&b episodes are getting better and better. I'll listen back through at some point and jot some more in depth thoughts down. Listening to b&b 8 again now

Thats cool. I've been (fairly) pretty busy myself and I need to get round to listening to a few more members mixes too. None this week. Been slacking!

Thought the same with Happy 5 - Affliction, but the 2 bounced nicely together.
I try my best with the B&B's, as challenging as they are. This one I am particularly pleased with out of the episodes of late. One in each little stretch of three seems to stand out for me, like No.4 in the last run. B&B 10 coming soon, but I don't know when ;)

Any thoughts [MENTION=82324]Shatner's Bosom[/MENTION] [MENTION=66217]Agent Smith[/MENTION] [MENTION=55488]Jwood27[/MENTION] or anyone else?

Thats cool. I've been (fairly) pretty busy myself and I need to get round to listening to a few more members mixes too. None this week. Been slacking!

Thought the same with Happy 5 - Affliction, but the 2 bounced nicely together.
I try my best with the B&B's, as challenging as they are. This one I am particularly pleased with out of the episodes of late. One in each little stretch of three seems to stand out for me, like No.4 in the last run. B&B 10 coming soon, but I don't know when ;)

Any thoughts [MENTION=82324]Shatner's Bosom[/MENTION] [MENTION=66217]Agent Smith[/MENTION] [MENTION=55488]Jwood27[/MENTION] or anyone else?

Shit you can tag people now?? I'm gonna listen to this again now. Looking forward to episode 10 as well

Not heard the first tune, moody start which i really enjoyed.
Happy 5 into affliction was sublime. Eqing was absolutely spot on. Mix out into surrender worked really well too, got the vibe exactly right.
Into the just like you remix was also great, mixing is really smooth and the tunes just fit effortlessly. Good ear.
Cylon Theme stepped in nicely, contrasted well with the vocals from before, but helps push the mix in a slightly more aggressive direction.
Nathnemmia changes it up again, that lovely weird sunchase feel everywhere, big spacious mix.
Fist LevelB slotted in nicely too, the chords of both overlapped superbly, another really well layered mix that balanced elements from both tunes wonderfully.
Defender Rythm came in a tad too strong for me personally, kinda blew over the previous, but the elements worked well.
Liked the way you switched it up again with the consequence tune, the movement in the mix has been great so far
Persecute came in nicely, again added some drive to the mix, then the skeppy remix built on that even more. Nice head noddy business now.
Liked the incoming vocals on decay, added a nice contrast to the mix and worked well.
Smooth blend with one more second, taking the mix back down a notch -kept the ebb and flow going really well.
Next blend was smooth again, the contrast was good, those little squeeks came in nicely. basketballcourtstep im naming it
Conscious rolled in nicely before the blend with Mule, bounced off each other well, particularly the low ends.
Nice hearing the editor again, such a big tune. Mid range growls worked well with the distinctive lynx bassline. Did feel a little busy though
Was really interested to see how it worked with fools rhythm - turned out pretty well, the two different structures worked pretty well, i always feel fools rhythm needs a similar kinda tune to work properly, but that's my opinion.
Lightworkers call was good, both pretty big bassy tunes which i think struggled a little to define themselves in the mix at the start, but think you sorted the eqing out and it got better as the mix went on.
Final mix was really good, two tunes that fitted really well. The little vocals worked super with the low end of lightworkers, and rounded off the mix nicely.

Overall really good. Think the middle section was superb personally, the tunes all rolled off each other and the energy of it flowed really well.
(y)

Sorry bro - considering I have listened to this a fair few times been slacking for feedback.

Will rectify this issue in the next few days.

Thats cool Stu! Whenever you can. Its going to be up for a little while longer as I don't know when I am going to get round to B&B 10

Not heard the first tune, moody start which i really enjoyed.
Happy 5 into affliction was sublime. Eqing was absolutely spot on. Mix out into surrender worked really well too, got the vibe exactly right.
Into the just like you remix was also great, mixing is really smooth and the tunes just fit effortlessly. Good ear.
Cylon Theme stepped in nicely, contrasted well with the vocals from before, but helps push the mix in a slightly more aggressive direction.

Nathnemmia changes it up again, that lovely weird sunchase feel everywhere, big spacious mix.
Fist LevelB slotted in nicely too, the chords of both overlapped superbly, another really well layered mix that balanced elements from both tunes wonderfully.
Defender Rhythm came in a tad too strong for me personally, kinda blew over the previous, but the elements worked well.
Liked the way you switched it up again with the consequence tune, the movement in the mix has been great so far
Persecute came in nicely, again added some drive to the mix, then the skeppy remix built on that even more. Nice head noddy business now.

Liked the incoming vocals on decay, added a nice contrast to the mix and worked well.
Smooth blend with one more second, taking the mix back down a notch -kept the ebb and flow going really well.
Next blend was smooth again, the contrast was good, those little squeeks came in nicely. basketballcourtstep im naming it
Conscious rolled in nicely before the blend with Mule, bounced off each other well, particularly the low ends.
Nice hearing the editor again, such a big tune. Mid range growls worked well with the distinctive lynx bassline. Did feel a little busy though
Was really interested to see how it worked with fools rhythm - turned out pretty well, the two different structures worked pretty well, i always feel fools rhythm needs a similar kinda tune to work properly, but that's my opinion.
Lightworkers call was good, both pretty big bassy tunes which i think struggled a little to define themselves in the mix at the start, but think you sorted the eqing out and it got better as the mix went on.
Final mix was really good, two tunes that fitted really well. The little vocals worked super with the low end of lightworkers, and rounded off the mix nicely.

Overall really good. Think the middle section was superb personally, the tunes all rolled off each other and the energy of it flowed really well.
(y)

Cheers J!
Yeah I like that Indigo tune. Really broody and needed to use it in one of these. Nice one for picking up on that section from Happy 5 through to Cylon Theme too. I liked the way the different parts of some of the tunes in there fit together as well as taking things in slightly different directions.
Defender Rhythm was actually toned down a little compared to Fist 2B and I didn't think it stood out. Again, nice one for mentioning the Persecute - Ancients rmx mix and the Decay - One More Second. "Basketballstep" - I like that. And with Mule - Conscious. Tried to do the best with them in the mix, did sound a bit busy, but thought it went ok. The wobbles of Fools Rhythm did seem to work with The Editor, but I heard you on the slightly contrasting beats. Didn't sound all that bad. I did choose those 2 bassy tunes in Lightworkes Call and Fools Rhythm to go together as they are similar, wanted the bass of Lightworkers to take over and them for Fools to come back in every-so-often. And thanks for mentioning the last mix. Wanted to include that in a B&B and it was finding the right place of it :)

Thanks for listening and the compliments and the critiques man. All duly noted :)

I've got a long flight on Thursday so will listen then

That was really good, this mix put me in the zone. As someone already said, some of the mixes look like they wouldn't work at all but I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't really look at the tracklist so can't comment on the highlights but it was consistent and a good listen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom