Who mixes lossless music?

Do ya?

• Total voters
MP3 compression works with psychoacoustic, that's why most people can't tell the difference.
If you play a set in 320kbps and then the exact same set in wave hardly anyone will notice.

Also the ID3 tags can help to have your music organized. I don't really see the problem with mp3 files. If the quality isn't good enough for you just buy all the tracks in your set as wavs.

The importance about wavs is, that you need a at least 24bit wav to release a tune. If anyone has your 24/32bit wav of your tune (b4 the release) he is theoretical able to release it under his own name.
[MENTION=88215]Rusket[/MENTION]

Mp3 was NOT meant for file sharing. Look up the history of the mp3 compression. At the beginning it was a project from the Frauenhofer Institut that even had state supportance. I think they searched for a new format for radio shows. The format developed to be used for music piracy - but they didn't invent it for that reason ;)

This is surprising, I would've thought DJs would want to play music in the best quality possible.

check this video from 6.30
You might be able to tell the difference, but 99% of the rest of the population can't. What you're probably hearing is the difference between the mastering of tunes. The digital mastering of tunes is kind of all over the place right now. For example, a lot of tunes coming out on Headz sound really bad to me, while the tunes coming out on Samurai and 31 all sound much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can often find me in the club, stroking my beard with one hand, note pad and pencil in the other (somehow)
Others seem to be enjoying themselves, dancing like fools, getting intoxicated from various flavours of bacardi breezers, but I on the other hand (a 3rd hand now? wtf ted) am taking notes and deciphering who is playing 320s and who's on wav. its important and needs to be documented.

You can often find me in the club, stroking my beard with one hand, note pad and pencil in the other (somehow)
Others seem to be enjoying themselves, dancing like fools, getting intoxicated from various flavours of bacardi breezers, but I on the other hand (a 3rd hand now? wtf ted) am taking notes and deciphering who is playing 320s and who's on wav. its important and needs to be documented.

ahh so you're THAT guy. Ill buy you a breezer next time mate

I'll prolly still bogle to a big DJ set spinning 128k tunes as well at times, there are many factors to consider here; quality of the soundsystem, how good or utter shite the tunes were produced... ;)
Anyway, if you do go lossless with your own music, at least you know its secured for the future. Having everything in 24/192 goes a bit far for me, especially after reading this article which is really interesting:

http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I'll prolly still bogle to a big DJ set spinning 128k tunes as well at times, there are many factors to consider here; quality of the soundsystem, how good or utter shite the tunes were produced... ;)
Anyway, if you do go lossless with your own music, at least you know its secured for the future. Having everything in 24/192 goes a bit far for me, especially after reading this article which is really interesting:

http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
Yeah, i read that article (after reading about the ponoplayer bs) and i loved it. Such a great insight on the matter, but it wasnt really relevant to this thread. Unfortunately I couldnt find anything by him on lossless vs lossy.

However, the sections on our perceptions of audio are super relevant to this thread, especially:

eef0dfebae.png

^ This is a massive factor in the WAV vs 320 debate

Don't get me wrong, I can't tell the difference between 320 and WAV often too, but it really depend on what kind of audio hardware you do these ABX tests. On high end audio equipment I found that ABX testing can sometimes be predicted more accurately than on some regilar hifi speakers or cheaper equipment.
But as I said, the nature of the recording, the acoustics, all play a part as well while doing this. My main argument for preferring lossless over 320 is that it just makes no sense to stick to 320 when you have to space and transfer speed. If you one day come into a situation where you do notice the difference (upgrade your equipment, a good soundsystem in a club), you would have spent your money on something which is then inferior which you could have prevented in the first place. People in this thread demonstrated this.
Furthermore, if everyone plays 320s in a club, of course you won't know the difference or whether the soundsystem is up to spot ;)

Out in the smoking area all:

scotty.jpg

happy bday [MENTION=99262]Lossless Music[/MENTION]

This thread probably isn't about you but happy bday all the same.

it wasnt easy, ill give you that, hijacking this thread was an utter chore, and im not sure id do it again if i had the choice.

but being that i am a monomaniacal online ego penis i dont think i ever will have a choice. ill see you at the meadow.

thanks, i was after a lossless mix to be honest tho.

The music in all of my mixes is about 90% wavs. Rarely buy or use mp3. My mp3 collection is mainly from surus when I was getting vinyl from there and you got mp3's with the release.

Back
Top Bottom