Forthcoming Critical/Modulations Releases

Ivy Lab - Live on your smile (VIP/ Remix?)

[video]https://soundcloud.com/docscott31/future-beats-radio-show-05-02-15[/video]

Tune at 50:00, have no idea whether its a remix or VIP but sounds like a tune stray would produce imo.. Either way serious vibes

That's Ivy Lab - Live on Your Smile (El Train Remix). No idea what's happening to it, but yeah, absolute vibage!

Not sure if we had a date mentioned yet, but the Ivy Lab EP is coming 23.02.15

2x12" // 50 Ivy Edition handmade copies // Digital

Critical have been a favourite label of mine for ages, and now I see them going the way Shogun did, decreasing the quality of a few of their releases and changing their target audience to cater for neuro/pop dicks.

Mefjus EPs/LP is just the beginning IMO, I hope I'm wrong.

The Mefjus stuff is definitely just a subjective problem for some and not an indication that Critical is going bad

Critical have been a favourite label of mine for ages, and now I see them going the way Shogun did, decreasing the quality of a few of their releases and changing their target audience to cater for neuro/pop dicks.

Mefjus EPs/LP is just the beginning IMO, I hope I'm wrong.

I get your point. Critical are my no.1 label, were the main influence to start off my own D&B music, and will keep leaving an impact in my life for the years to come. So seeing Mefjus within the roster is to say the least, 'threatening' to what I see as the Critical sound.

Critical has always been in seeking new talent coming from new niches. Mefjus was fresh in sound when he was signed exclusively. It problem is that his sound boomed quite well and the neurofunk scene boomed as well thanks to him. Nowadays, he is seen a 'normal' Neurofunk producer, that's it.

Currently, Ivy Lab and Hyroglifics are hot property since their sound is fresh as hell! I am more looking forward these lads output more than ever. So don't worry Shatner, Kasra knows what he is doing and keeps the label's ethos on the forefront of his thinking.

My main bug with Critical, is actually not with Critical itself, but with Systems and Binary. I find them conflicting in ideas, sort of they do each other jobs, but it could be I misunderstood their ethos tbh.

Inb4 someone says I am sickofanning Kasra. My respect for this label is extremely high. I've written this purely on loyalty and goodwill :)

Are we going to be getting 2 Ivy Lab EPs possibly? This one has 20 Questions, will probably have the Sunday Crunk remix as a digital bonus.

Then there's Gomesia, Shades of Blue, Two by Two, Slinky, Planebeats, Taste the Mango and Forex. (I've seen the last 2 ID'd as Sabre, and then Ivy Lab later on)

Also when's the next Systems release? The Halogenix EP was one of my favourite release last year.

EDIT: I think Ivy Lab mentioned on Facebook that Two by Two and Planebeats are on the new EP.

Last edited:
Who said anything about 'destroying'? Why use the '?

I guess the Emperor tunes were the start of this change in direction.

highly unlikely these will ever see the light of day, but Sam Binga has gone through the Critical back cat and done some edits

Tell us about your upcoming DNB60 Mix for Radio 1, a little bird tells us you have something special planned?. We’re really excited about it.

Yeah so the idea behind these mixes, as I understood it, is to showcase a particular label, in this case Critical – which is a pretty big deal in my book! I didn’t want to just play everyone’s dubs, but equally if I just played the big tunes from the back catalogue, anyone could do that. So there’s some fresh dubs and remixes, some under-appreciated releases from the past, plus I’ve also gone through and made a few cheeky Binga edits of various classics. It’s a bit of a risk, cos some of the tunes I twisted up are really iconic, but hopefully people will appreciate hearing a new flex on riddims they think they know. And even if they don’t, bun alladem – I had fun chopping them up and putting ‘em back together again! Trust me – you’ve never heard Ruffhouse & Clarity sound like this before…
http://www.criticalmusic.com/sam-binga-promises-to-deliver-the-best-bbc-radio-1-dnb60-takeover-yet/

It was Menosauce's comment about the signing of Mefjus 'threatening' the Critical sound.

All labels need to evolve or they die. Adapt and survive.

Threatening my perception of the Critical Sound. And to make myself even more clearer, I didn't say that signing Mefjus was a wrong move. Actually, it is a move that I really supported when it happened, to both the artist and the label.

What I am saying is that Mefjus needs to evolve his sound a bit to make him sound fresh because listening to him now makes him quite forgettable IMO unlike 2/3 years ago. Critical evolves constantly with every new signee such as Ivy Lab and now Hyroglifics. Like I said, Kasra is on ball.

There are far too many Ivy Lab dubs floating around, think I can recall about 10. (20 Questions, Gomeisa, Two by Two, Planebeats, Shades of Blue, Forex, Slinky, Taste The Mango, Sunday Crunk [Mefjus Remix] and Live on Your Smile [El Train Remix])

Would be nice to get an EP of 5 tracks now, and then the next EP in Autumn or something!

I did list all those dubs on the last page in the midst of the "Mefjus ruined critical" debate.

Maybe the next Systems EP will be an Ivy Lab release of some of the less dnb tunes like Taste The Mango and Slinky?

NEVERMIND holy fuck they're all on this one

http://ivylab.co.uk/products/twenty-questions-e-p

Didn't notice that mate, my bad!

ALMOST all of them, looks so great!
Interested to hear this Sam Binga remix of Slinky!

No Mefjus remix... cue moaning!

- - - Updated - - -

Link's been taken down now.

Back
Top Bottom