Jump Up drum and bass dead?

dot_be_a_hero

I don't mean to start shit here, but I've been noticing a trend. I've been listening to jump up for awhile now and the tracks just aren't the same anymore. Back then it was energetic, bouncy, and wobbly. Now it's just the Deep Throat preset in Massive, run through whenever filter and slapped on a sub. I don't mean to hate on anybody here so I'm not going to name names (not that they'd care) but jump up has just lost it's way. It's not even jump up anymore. They should just call this new shit something else. And when there is a quality track (rare) it gets drowned out by all the noise in the scene. It's like all the 13 year olds who discovered dubstep (and failed to make it) are now trying to make drum and bass. Like, listen to the old tracks of Original Sin, or Dj Hazard, or Taxman, or the Force and I could go on... they sound like jump up. And now listen to the new tracks from like Macky Gee (fuck it I'm naming names now) or any of those other guys really. I'm not saying the new style is worse (although the old one is objectively better) I'm just saying that I think jump up as it was originally formed, is dead. 100% dead. Cremated. And then they decided to collect the ashes stick it up their asses, shit it out with taco bell diarrhea and claim it's the same thing.

although the old one is objectively better

No, it's not, the old one was overused piece of shit, and that is the reason of it's death. People got bored of it.

New one is not that better, but at least it's something new.

Btw it didn't die it evolved to survive :teeth: Adapt or die.

Yeah macky re uses a lot of stuff and i used to not like his sound but a couple of tunes recently are sick, gets the crowd going though? What would you of rather, that they still use them amens and same drums and same wobbly basslines or change things up?

I sort of get what you're saying but at the same time do you expect them to do what's already been done? We can't all go round in circles for ever, that's why jungle evolved into dnb and so on..

Quality control is an issue admittedly and I think it has been ever since it was feasible for anyone to set up their own label and put out their own music, you can probably blame the now defunct, Nu-Urban for that lol.

But a lot of people (forum fannies in particular) are quick to slate the entire sub-genre without listening to it, and refuse to listen to anything that sounds vaguely like jump up. Check the Skeptical - Imperial ep thread people were saying "ooo playground backchat, that synth sounds a bit jump up-y, ooo I can't play that then" lol fassyoles.

The jump up scene's strong there's a lot of up and coming artists, and established artists like your Majistrate's, Pleasure's, Guv' etc. basically just cus man says something (i.e jump up being dead) doesn't make it so :teeth:

- - - Updated - - -

Probably different production techniques now too, jump up seems pretty synonymous with the massive synth nowadays, whereas probably more creativity before. I might be completely talking out of my ass though.

Last edited:
folks have been saying jump up is officially dead since at least 2006

here's a mix I put together of jump up tracks all released last year that were rolling and sub bassy for the most part, no screechy stuff

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/181551-some-phat-jump-up-tunes-from-this-year

like with most genres of anything the crap tends to drown out the good, but if you look you should be able to find stuff you like

Macky Gee.

Of all people :rinsed:

Yeah, some of his tunes sound the same but at least this guy makes some bangers unlike the entire Low Down Deep camp that seems to pass the same old sample pack back and forth.

And as if that´s not bad enough, starters try to go down the same route instead of doing their own thing.

Of all people :rinsed:

Yeah, some of his tunes sound the same but at least this guy makes some bangers unlike the entire Low Down Deep camp that seems to pass the same old sample pack back and forth.

And as if that´s not bad enough, starters try to go down the same route instead of doing their own thing.

Samples for what? Basslines?

folks have been saying jump up is officially dead since at least 2006

Been dead since the late 90's innit. You're right about one thing tho, I never listen to jump up, ever. So I really have no idea what jump up even is these days, i'm happy to keep it that way tbh :uberlaugh

Im not a fan of modern Jump Up either.

No, it's not, the old one was overused piece of shit, and that is the reason of it's death. People got bored of it.

New one is not that better, but at least it's something new.

Btw it didn't die it evolved to survive :teeth: Adapt or die.

As for this comment I disagree. Neurofunk is a prime example of drum & bass staying the same. Neurofunk still sounds very similar now to how it did 10 years ago and its still the backbone of drum & bass in my eyes. Jump Up is hardly recognizable now to how it used to sound. With Liquid now you have to double check it is a liquid track and not just another attempt to make the pop charts. So yeah nothing wrong with a style staying the same in my eyes. I do agree with change but maybe not so dramatic change.

Thing is Jump Up raves have a massive following. Its probably bigger now than it ever was.

I have a little look into what jump up DJ's are playing every now and then and I just cringe.
It just seems like everyone is influenced by other artists within that scene and don't really listen to anything else.

Also, the tunes aren't really creative. Tantrum Desire used to make some decent tune. Remember when there used to be a 'switch'?
The mcs don't help either. No one can really hear what is being played, because the mic is too high

Im not a fan of modern Jump Up either.

As for this comment I disagree. Neurofunk is a prime example of drum & bass staying the same. Neurofunk still sounds very similar now to how it did 10 years ago and its still the backbone of drum & bass in my eyes. Jump Up is hardly recognizable now to how it used to sound. With Liquid now you have to double check it is a liquid track and not just another attempt to make the pop charts. So yeah nothing wrong with a style staying the same in my eyes. I do agree with change but maybe not so dramatic change.

Maybe these slight changes saved neurofunk. Compare 3 Phace albums, they are all neurofunky but they are different at the same time. While a lot of jump up sounded like all artists used the same synth preset and the same drums over and over again. Let's hope new jumpup artists won't make same mistake.

Check the Skeptical - Imperial ep thread people were saying "ooo playground backchat, that synth sounds a bit jump up-y, ooo I can't play that then" lol fassyoles.

Lol. That Skeptical EP is quite diverse in my opinion. I think what people may have been getting at is that for a traditional Skeptical sound it was very different. If you only ever mixed that style, deep whatever you wouldn't have anything to mix it with for sure, and from experience people in that side of the scene only buy those styles and generally stay away from everything else...so it makes sense to me.
Wonder if it would go off at a jump up rave though ;)

I have a little look into what jump up DJ's are playing every now and then and I just cringe.
It just seems like everyone is influenced by other artists within that scene and don't really listen to anything else.

Also, the tunes aren't really creative. Tantrum Desire used to make some decent tune. Remember when there used to be a 'switch'?
The mcs don't help either. No one can really hear what is being played, because the mic is too high

Always end up agreeing with you Sam. Always speak a lot of sense.

There are exceptions but its pretty much Hazard leading the way in terms of creativity and pushing boundaries in that part of the scene for me personally.

If I listened to lil wayne, Rick Ross and nikki minaj then said hip hop is dead Id be wrong cause there's still quite a bit of great new stuff out there, but I get the impression most people are basically doing the same with jump up. it's whether you can be arsed to sift through shite to find the gold. Same goes for everything else tbh...

Samples for what? Basslines?

Naw, I think they record those noises at random ponds in the midlands and tweak em in the studio.

But they´re going ALL TOGETHER. ;)

OPs rant is very random tho, as people said before, it applies to everything, even his jump up blueprints from 2006 or what.

And Neurofunk..god´s sake. Same shit, really boring uninspired stuff, technically well produced but just the same like DJ thenextguy.

Search for the gold, it´s still there. That´s moosik.

Let´s post some good jump up instead

Last edited by a moderator:
Jumpup has basically trading off the exact same set of ideas since the 90s. Wacky sample, kick drum rolls, farty bassline. Only thing that has changed in the past twenty years since Urban Takeover and Collusion and all those labels kind of codified it into a dull funkless parody of the most energetic part of jungle is where the samples are from and how loud the snares are; only actual innovation in Jumpup in the last decade was the invention of that horrific screechy noise that was all over every single tune just as mephedrone was the drug of choice for all the teenage crew, and the softsynth wobble that came about in the wake of people ripping off Twisted Individual.

There is nothing wrong with making silly party tunes for a dancefloor, but jumpup is just so frustratingly insular, so singleminded, and so devoid of any content or outside frame of musical reference that it just depresses me.

Having said all that, that T>1 chap whose EP on Calypso was linked a few posts back is making wonderful tunes, and you should all go and buy them because that is about as good as this stuff gets.

- - - Updated - - -

The feeling, the attitude and the energy of Jumpup is immortal IMO, that shit will NEVER die, but really, the Jumpup scene as a whole creative entity really needs to acknowledge that collectively a whole bunch of much fresher ideas are badly, badly needed.

Think of the complete different styles of macky, hazard, t>i, konichi and that, there are a lot of innovative and new sounds being made right now, but as soon as someone like logan or whatever his name is makes some shit remix of jump around most people take it that thats jump up and its always been like that and it always will.

You listen to a new jump up dub, you can tell its konichi by snare or a prestige bass easily.

- - - Updated - - -

So they are not creating new styles??

Think of the complete different styles of macky, hazard, t>i, konichi and that, there are a lot of innovative and new sounds being made right now, but as soon as someone like logan or whatever his name is makes some shit remix of jump around most people take it that thats jump up and its always been like that and it always will.

You listen to a new jump up dub, you can tell its konichi by snare or a prestige bass easily.

- - - Updated - - -

So they are not creating new styles??

all of those tunes are terrible
i hate that style of dnb with a passion

stuff like this is what good jump up was in my opinion

Back
Top Bottom