Best midi controller for laptop mixing.

Cus93

Spectrm Podact
I've been mixing with traktor pro for some time now, but i think i may get some Technics some time soon. but i reckon i'll still want to mix with my laptop sometimes. So i'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the best Midi-Controllers to buy as i have become seriously pissed with the numerous hot keys i've created for my keyboard, they just get confusing? i've heard the Numark Stealth or the total control are good?

and yehh i'm thinking on the lines of £130-180 maybe?
any advice will be much appreciated :) cheers.

If you have to, get a hercules dj console rmx - I had one and it's really easy to use and pretty good for the money.

To be honest though, I got bored of it in less than 6 months cos it's just so fucking easy to mix on - it requires no skill at all, especially compared to vinyl djing. You'll also find it very difficult (if not impossible) to get any gigs with it, bar house parties. So I just ended up buying technics, and I've never looked back :)

So my advice would be to not do what I did and buy a midi controller, just jump in at the deep end and buy a second hand pair of technics and start mixing properly! (you can get these for around 250 if you're lucky, so not too much saving)

Reloop Digital Jockey 2

looks a tad pricey but cheers anyway mate :)

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

and thanks matt, i think i will scrap the midi conroller as numerous people have said that to me now, and yeh you're right there is no skill involved compared with vinyl mixing. Just that buying vinyl is so damn expensive, but an investment i should probably make.

hmm yeh, but vinyl are vinyl, think i'd rather have decks than cds. cheers anyway mate :)

If you have to, get a hercules dj console rmx - I had one and it's really easy to use and pretty good for the money.

To be honest though, I got bored of it in less than 6 months cos it's just so fucking easy to mix on - it requires no skill at all, especially compared to vinyl djing. You'll also find it very difficult (if not impossible) to get any gigs with it, bar house parties. So I just ended up buying technics, and I've never looked back :)

So my advice would be to not do what I did and buy a midi controller, just jump in at the deep end and buy a second hand pair of technics and start mixing properly! (you can get these for around 250 if you're lucky, so not too much saving)

this basically.
i had a numark stealth for a bit, but after a while i found it felt too bland and easy, plus i felt like itd be a bit weird playing out with one - i felt like itd be half arsed next to guys on decks/cdjs etc.

just save for decks or cdjs far better in the long run

i'll be joining the club soon, i hope.

where would you say the best place to get 1210s is then? ebay?

well im looking for 1210s at the minute and Ive seen some great deals on ebay but hadnt had the cash to buy any just yet

but your not gonna get them any cheaper anywhere else.. you just take the risk of them not being very good condition or whateverr

there is djfinancedirect.co.uk as well where you can pay for them over the year.. but thats brand new so many pennies

well im looking for 1210s at the minute and Ive seen some great deals on ebay but hadnt had the cash to buy any just yet

but your not gonna get them any cheaper anywhere else.. you just take the risk of them not being very good condition or whateverr

there is djfinancedirect.co.uk as well where you can pay for them over the year.. but thats brand new so many pennies

yehh that's the problem with ebay. there is gumtree as well which is probably moire reliable?
but i guess it's just about getting lucky?

and yehh no way am i getting brand new, way too pricey for my liking ;P

I've been mixing with traktor pro for some time now, but i think i may get some Technics some time soon. but i reckon i'll still want to mix with my laptop sometimes. So i'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the best Midi-Controllers to buy as i have become seriously pissed with the numerous hot keys i've created for my keyboard, they just get confusing? i've heard the Numark Stealth or the total control are good?

and yehh i'm thinking on the lines of £130-180 maybe?
any advice will be much appreciated :) cheers.

Tbh I think midi controller is the way forward, even CD is a dying format. Its all about mp3 these days.
Some people said you cant do as much on a midi controller but tbh if you have a proper good 1 you can do MUCH more than any average vinyl and cdj setup and it will cost less too.
Just take a look at this 1 for example
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/american_audio/VMS4

and this 1 is properly top of the food chain
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/allen_heath/xone_4d

I also like the fact its all in 1 piece so its easy to carry around and less cables jam up issue.
Also plz dont get hercules, they are just toys....
If you are on a budget I suggest Vestax spin or typhoon, it does all the basic stuff and its bloody good price compare to vci100 and 300.
ps. go for the ones with build in sound card!!!!

Tbh I think midi controller is the way forward, even CD is a dying format. Its all about mp3 these days.
Some people said you cant do as much on a midi controller but tbh if you have a proper good 1 you can do MUCH more than any average vinyl and cdj setup and it will cost less too.
Just take a look at this 1 for example
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/american_audio/VMS4

I also like the fact its all in 1 piece so its easy to carry around and less cables jam up issue.
If you are on a budget I suggest Vestax spin or typhoon, it does all the basic stuff and its bloody good price compare to vci100 and 300.

theyre just not cool its as simple as that

theyre just not cool its as simple as that

I beg to differ..

BMR248596.jpg

BMR245086.jpg

I beg to differ..

BMR248596.jpg

BMR245086.jpg

haha nice one mate. there is the attraction of seriously nice looking midi controllers,

is there anything to stop me from using both decks and a laptop in my setup though really?

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

and yehh i've heard a lot about the xone 4d, looks pretty nice.
and yehh i think i would have gone for one with a built in sound card, that would be another attraction to getting a midi controller i guess.

is there anything to stop me from using both decks and a laptop in my setup though really?

Money??

A pair of cheap Technics + a cheap 4 channels mixer will cost you almost £1300
A single CDJ400 cost almost £500

A 4 channels midi controller cost less than £400 and has more features than both above(mixing wise)

Money??

A 4 channels midi controller cost less than £400 and has more features than both above(mixing wise)

haha yes yess. would be an awesome set up though...
i would say that disregarding cost, a midi controller looks better, and has better quality mixing available. But decks have a kind of, i don't know, they're decks, and i think having vinyl is better than having an MP3 or a CD. so i'm in a big dilema. and therefore think i'll have to go with both. but just not a top quality midi controller like the xone 4d.

well i bought the reloop digital jockey interface edition, and im quite happy about it, as it doesnt take much place and its great for starting,
but remember, if you're laptop or computer is broke or something is wrong with it, that midi controller is worth nothing :D
just imagine a laptop restarting by itself on a party => no music = angry crowd = bye bye Dj'ing carreer

Money??

lol, dont listen to this. 400quid for a technics setup, give or take a hundred

Back
Top Bottom