Djing basics (for beginners)

did you find this helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nah i get what you were saying 100%, I still massively disagree using your method for even a few months, it's just prolonging the inevitable isn't it; learning how to beatmatch.

We are from completely different eras to be fair tho, i was out chomping on beanos going to One Nation when you were still a wee boy with no pubes. So i understand how all your mates start on Midi but when i started everyone used vinyl. Whilst you might think your method is the best, i can tell you from years of experience it just isnt!!

People are lazy, giving them shortcuts from the start is wrong and bad advice imo.

This is dnbforum after all, not DeepHouseforum and yur sync button preaching :P

Now do one, i should be working ha

- - - Updated - - -

So why are so many people going out of their way to avoid it?
answer because they didn't learn how from the start and now its too difficult.

SO MUCH TRUTH

Nah i get what you were saying 100%, I still massively disagree using your method for even a few months, it's just prolonging the inevitable isn't it; learning how to beatmatch.

We are from completely different eras to be fair tho, i was out chomping on beanos going to One Nation when you were still a wee boy with no pubes. So i understand how all your mates start on Midi but when i started everyone used vinyl. Whilst you might think your method is the best, i can tell you from years of experience it just isnt!!

People are lazy, giving them shortcuts from the start is wrong and bad advice imo.

This is dnbforum after all, not DeepHouseforum and yur sync button preaching :P

Now do one, i should be working ha

- - - Updated - - -

SO MUCH TRUTH

oh no i did not say mine was the best at all and yes i can appreciate the generation gap aswell.

i am just putting this out here so people who had the same mentality as me when i started.

About 2-3 years ago i was at a beautiful squat party in london (my first) and the music, omg it was amazing, ever since that i wanted to be a DJ. i didn't know there was even a diffrence between midi, vinyl or CDJ's. but for me seeing the music and having a easy platform the grasp the bear fundamentals helped me alot SO if people have the same view as i did and i know alot do then this may be the path they want to take. im not saying mines the best way, its far off, but then again everyone learns differently, so i hope this post helped whom it may concern.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here (and probably get murked for it too!) but who really gives a shit how a mix is done? as long as it sounds good?!

I mean, if I'm listening to a mix in my car, and it sounds sweet, I couldn't give two hoots if the DJ used vinyl, cdj's, usb controller or whatever! Same goes for if I'm in a club! I'm there to listen to the music and feel the vibes, I really don't care how those vibes are sent out to me!

To look at it another way, I know a lot of you guys produce too....now back when electronic music began it was all about the hardware, samplers, drum machines etc etc. Nowdays due to technological advancements you can recreate these sounds using software. And I'm guessing at least 99% of you here that do produce are using just that....software! So I put it to you....is this not kinda the same thing? Going by this same logic then anyone who produces using only software is cheating. Because it takes a lot more talent and skill to patch in these sounds using hardware.

Just my worthless 2 pence....

You're right Fletch. Who does give a shit how its been done? I certainly don't. Its the end product that is of interest.

But if someone wants advise on how to dj, that's a different kettle of fish. They aren't asking for tips on the destination, they want to know how to get there.

Getting the bus is a great option. But you can't get off and say "yeah I know how to drive"

I'm gonna go out on a limb here (and probably get murked for it too!) but who really gives a shit how a mix is done? as long as it sounds good?!

I mean, if I'm listening to a mix in my car, and it sounds sweet, I couldn't give two hoots if the DJ used vinyl, cdj's, usb controller or whatever! Same goes for if I'm in a club! I'm there to listen to the music and feel the vibes, I really don't care how those vibes are sent out to me!

To look at it another way, I know a lot of you guys produce too....now back when electronic music began it was all about the hardware, samplers, drum machines etc etc. Nowdays due to technological advancements you can recreate these sounds using software. And I'm guessing at least 99% of you here that do produce are using just that....software! So I put it to you....is this not kinda the same thing? Going by this same logic then anyone who produces using only software is cheating. Because it takes a lot more talent and skill to patch in these sounds using hardware.

Just my worthless 2 pence....

Yeah man wrong argument completely here, no one should advise to just skip the most fundamental thing about conventional mixing for a couple of months to keep things moving.

YET 50-60% of dj's cant beat match.

can't beat match, you ain't a DJ, your a wasteman simple.

I know some producers do this but its different because they are going there to showcase their music and getting money from the gigs to keep their music career going, I still don't rate them as a DJ just rate the tunes that they produce. A true DJ does it properly, not mash the sync button over and over thinking there a badman, terrible that people think that is DJing. Might as well do a mitsabishi and play a pre-recorded set

Not starting by mixing vinyl was probably my biggest mistake, that's all i can tell you. Start mixing by vinyl and you will laugh at all the other mixing techniques.

Last edited:
come on... really! have you ever been to a squat rave, or even in most legal venues , most acts are fucking hopeless.

I've been to plenty of squat raves, started off when I was 14, DNB DJ's at squat raves I went to generally played jungle on vinyl or darker stuff on CDJ's. Don't get me wrong I have seen people staring at laptop screens in squats but they are not DJing and it is generally other genres when I have seen it not DNB (mainly psytrance), you might as well stick Itunes on with that little thing that fades from one song to the next, also I've seen DJ's in squats fuck up a set on a laptop. Regarding legal raves, you must be going to some shit nights, most DJ's I've seen at legal events have been spot on, either mixing vinyl or CDJ's and if they are on a laptop they are usually a big artist who made half the tunes in their set anyway or doing a live set, sorry mate just do not agree with you on this one

funny-fashion-memes.jpg

Back
Top Bottom