What got you into drum & bass music?

The Prodigy 'Experience' album, Stu Allan Sat / Sun nights on Key 103 in 91 / 92 then onto Fantazia / Quest / Obsession tapes etc.

well all the raves were "hardcore" (91) then they turned into "hardcore jungle" (92/93) then that turned into "drum n bass"
so i guess what was called hardcore - now called oldskool. and ting

well all the raves were "hardcore" (91) then they turned into "hardcore jungle" (92/93) then that turned into "drum n bass"
so i guess what was called hardcore - now called oldskool. and ting

yeah i suppose it sorta moved from 4/4 beat hardcore into breakbeat and swiftly into whats considered jungle or oldschool in general as you put it.

John B's Trance and Bass mix-CD for Mixmag (I think it was Mixmag?). Then I randomly heard of a drum & bass party in Oslo which I went to. Future Prophecies & TeeBee at a smallish club in Oslo. At the end of the night I was stupidly happy, hugged the promotor, and probably appeared like a crazy person :D
The next day it was Raiden (with a surprise appearance from TeeBee, who was still in town) at another club, and after that weekend I just never left.

Although, I was into hardcore and jungle in the early nineties (buying SOUR CDs on import at eye gauging prices, and a massive Prodigy fan), but I just fell off when things got "intelligent", and the term "drum and bass" for me was only that jazzy, hipsterish lounge shit that did nothing for me. (There was very limited what the records stores would import, so I missed out on a lot great music during the late nineties before I got back in with that mix-CD. Luckily for me, the music is still there to discover now :))

One of my good mates got me into d&b by playing me some of Pendulum's earlier stuff around 2006? Another Planet, and Spiral are two that spring to mind.

Also started listening to TC when he bought out Rockstar and was a massive fan of him when he dropped his album.

initally it was pendulum - hold your colour lp, more than alot lp and sub focus lp. then a couple of years on from that, what got me into the decent dnb was a momentum night in leeds (dispatch)

initally it was pendulum - hold your colour lp, more than alot lp and sub focus lp. then a couple of years on from that, what got me into the decent dnb was a momentum night in leeds (dispatch)

yeh forgot to mention it was an Abstractions night in Bristol that got me into the darker sound - i believe foreign concept and skeptical were headlining

yeh forgot to mention it was an Abstractions night in Bristol that got me into the darker sound - i believe foreign concept and skeptical were headlining

this is the thing. with me, i'd heard a few of the darker tunes while i was on my ukf phase but it's not until you go to a dispatch, headz night etc. imo that you get properly into that side of the dnb. this was kinda what i was like after my first momentum night:

Last edited by a moderator:

Funnily enough, it was his Organiser remix that got me into the dark and half-time D&B while I was still scrounging UKF.

Aphex Twin and Squarepusher is where it all started for me, then onto Concord Dawn - Uprising album fully sealed the deal. Remember listening to that album in Thailand, 16, over and over again on Minidisc! Feelz bru

Must have been 11 years ago. My mate had just passed his test, bought his first car (some old banger), and we used to drive around playing these Mampi Swift tapes that he had - mind blown. I started listening to all manner of radio shows, house / trance / dnb. There was too much to keep track of. Groove dropped Slam on his show. Pendulum released Hold Your Colour and I was hooked on drum and bass from there. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Earliest memory of dance music was being 8 (1996), staying up late, plugging my headphones in to my stereo and listening to Armand van Helden's remix of Professional Widow.

I never did like bands...

I went to see Michael Jackson at Wembley in 1992 with Mum and little bro. I was 13 at the time and went to HMV and bought 2 tape compilations called Raving Mad and Maximum Rave. It had some absolute classics on those tapes. My musically taste was changed forever.........the breakbeats had consumed my soul from that point onward.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Raving-Mad/release/3927859

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Maximum-Rave/release/194211

I had this one Craig http://www.discogs.com/Various-Rave-92-24-Massive-Rave-Hits-Of-The-Year/release/106982

It was hearing the opening break on this tune when I was 14 and a still metal head that did it for me. As soon as I heard it, I though dafuuuk is dis?! as I started head bopping for the very first time. It was beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to be into punk rock and metal big time when I was younger but when I was 14 started goin to squat raves every weekend and getting messy, went to loads of different genres (mainly psytrance) but the only dance music I was really feeling was dnb, then when I was about 17/18 got one of dj hypes mixes and fell in love with drum and bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earliest memory of related stuff was hearing my Aunt playing The Prodigy tunes like Firestarter way back when it would have just come out. I remember enjoying it but I was too young to really give a shit about pursuing the sound (I would have been about 8).

Then I remember hearing tunes by Calyx and Logistics on Midnight Club 3 which I played on PSP. I didn't know what type of music it was but they were my favourite tunes in the game and I would skip music tracks until I found them. Tracks were Calyx - Follow The Leader and Logistics - Release The Pressure.

Later, I heard Propane Nightmares (I know) by Pendulum on the radio, loved it and bought that album. From there I started looking into older Pendulum stuff and somewhere along the lines my brother said it would be cool to have a music library just full of drum & bass. I didn't really know a hell of a lot about what drum & bass was but I agreed with him and started searching Google for 'the best drum & bass artists', initially finding High Contrast and Sub Focus and since then moving through to the deeper sounds.

My music library now is pretty much only drum & bass.

the wicked breaks and basslines. I really wish I was born 20 years earlier so I got to see the music evolve into what it is today. I would've loved to be 15 in 92.
I was 15 in 92. me and my mate from school who lived next door would play games his spectrum 128k and listen to Altern8 - Full On Mask Hysteria and 808 State - Ex El over and over. that was my intro to dance music, then the transition to dnb/jungle was when goldie inner city life came out a few of years later. somehow I missed the proper hardcore/crossover scene...

Back
Top Bottom