The 'Vinyl Extortion'-ism Solution thread (mushi)

Just don't pay the prices, it's that simple. The records he buys are his property. He only exists and can charge that because people pay it, the same with all of the Discog's high price sellers. In essence people are mad at him because he has records that they want and they're not prepared to pay for them what he is asking. More to blame are the people that actually pay those high prices and inflate the records value. If you are looking to buy a car and you go shopping and one lot has something you want but it's way over priced, what do you do? You keep looking or find another car you want.

do people actually pay those prices? LOLZ. I have seen many a release with multiple copies for low values, and then I scroll down and he has a copy for ten to twenty times the value.

Bottom line is there isn't much you can't get hold of at reasonable prices on Discogs these days.

Who would delete it?

bjdf1y.jpg

Ok so i think most people have heard of the infamous vinyl bandit that goes by the name of Tan who runs Mushi Mushi records in Nottingham.

I know loads of people have spoken out about him. Dispatch Ant has spoken up against it, multiple dubstep artists have expressed their disapproval and even the likes of Four Tet have been brought into the argument.

K8aP6zr.png

As we have a few artists and label owners here i was wondering if we could maybe see their stance on this blight in the scene and maybe we could come up with a solution? or is this just something we should learn to accept.

My view is that it is bad for the music scene in general as it puts people off buying and collecting vinyl if they need to remortgage their home to get a new release, so maybe a mushi mushi trade embargo is what we need to keep vinyl alive?

or maybe a suggestion to discogs to have an 'ignore seller' function that would maybe deter the usual suspects (vinylvendour is another culprit) from pricing ridiculously high.

would love to hear your thoughts on the matter

I tend to laugh at him more tbh m8 with jovial observations / posts, I genuinely don't have anything against him / his store, if people pay those prices he'll keep selling them. Someone must be buying them at those crazy prices for him to keep listing new ones at similar rates.

To be fair I think he loses out on a lot. I chatted to him in his shop for a while and we inevitably hit on his discogs pricing (he's literally got no new records he buys in his shop btw). If you buy 10 of every record that comes out, youre not necessarily going to sell those back at £50 a pop. Many people undercut him and many of them will be worth fuck all in a year. Eventually, he may sell one or two to the right buyer but he's had to invest at least a year in advance.

I do think it artificially inflates the prices though and the only thing we could do to stop it is make the distro's not sell in bulk to him.

This again really?

I'm all for pitchforks but more so for the people that buy from him, not mushi himself, they are what are keeping him going.

What worries me is other people will inevitably take a leaf out of his book "why is he selling the record I am selling at £100 when both our records are NM+? Oh well I will just undercut him and stick it up for £95" Its encouraging other sellers in my eyes to bump up the prices.

Touch wood it won't happen. Not everyone is an obvious money grabber like this chap.

Last edited:
I find it so hard to find a happy medium when selling on discogs. Lets be honest.. if you have a gem you are willing to part with you want to make a few quid.

however by the time you guess the postage cost.. then you got paypal/discogs fees its ridiculous. i sold garden calibre remix for 15 quid put 5 quid as postage and made like 1 quid by the end of it. total waste of time. What is a realistic price for shipping!?

how much the postage costs maybe?

i do the cost + 50p for packing, going to post office and inevitably standing an a queue for about half hour. is reasonable i think

there is no way of finding out the cost of it without going to the post office in the first place

the solution is to not buy from him. he's free to set whatever price he chooses, doesn't mean you're forced to buy it. the fact that people get so frustrated by this guy is a bit absurd. if people are foolish/desperate enough to pay his prices then the problem lies with them, not him.

The problem is, when people new to discogs see his prices then think that is a fair market value for the record they are trying to sell. This inturn results in numerous records being listed for that price and people have no alternative to pay increased rates.

Look at the recent sales of Calyx & Teebee - Elevate This Sound;

■Last sold on Sep 14, 2014
■£10.73 Average
■£8.05 Median
■£38.79 Highest
■£6.23 Lowest

Because oh him listing his two copies for £50+ a local record store to me has also done this. Now anyone who lists the record is probably going to put it up for a similar price. As far as I am aware this record isn't worth that much and will probably be re-pressed at somepoint.

Last edited:
Because oh him listing his two copies for £50+ a local record store to me has also done this. Now anyone who lists the record is probably going to put it up for a similar price. As far as I am aware this record isn't worth that much and will probably be re-pressed at somepoint.

That's exactly what my problem with it is!

The problem is, when people new to discogs see his prices then think that is a fair market value for the record they are trying to sell. This inturn results in numerous records being listed for that price and people have no alternative to pay increased rates.

Look at the recent sales of Calyx & Teebee - Elevate This Sound;

■Last sold on Sep 14, 2014
■£10.73 Average
■£8.05 Median
■£38.79 Highest
■£6.23 Lowest

exactly this happened to 'Back in the jungle/Who jah bless' on critical. A few of the shops sold out and is was still for sale on the Critical surus page but as it wasnt a new release, it looked like they were sold out also. In comes mushi and whacks one up for £55 and some poor sod who couldnt see that they were still available bought one. this lead to about 5 other people listing their records up for between 25 and 50 despite the fact they were still for sale on surus for 5.99 and the mushi inflation was in straight effect. Same thing happened to 'how did i let you go?/wordsworth' on metalheadz when they were still available from the metalheadz store.

another thing he also does which is irritating is he will list a vinyl at an extortionate price on discogs and then an even higher price on ebay to prey on the people who dont use discogs. ive seen records on ebay sell for 4 times what he was charging on discogs. (looks like his ebay has been deleted now. http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewStoreV4&name=mushimushirecordsuk&_rdc=1 )

Back
Top Bottom