Future of DNB

Some of the best Drum and Bass ever produced was produced within the last two months.

- - - Updated - - -

Listen to these newly released tracks and tell me if Drum and Bass is dying:

https://soundcloud.com/borderlinednb/borderline-meteorite-vip-flashes-of-the-future-lp

https://soundcloud.com/eatbrain/telekinesis-atlas

Drum and Bass is just getting started.

- - - Updated - - -

"Tales of the Undead" ...in case you didn't know. ;)

That style of D&B isn't the only style that exists, you know? And tbh this style is more technical than musical, so back to square one.

Some of the best Drum and Bass ever produced was produced within the last two months.

IMG_1248.JPG

Interesting conversation. Here’s my 2….

The music industry is over saturated right now and everybody with a laptop and a cracked DAW is a “producer” now. It’s become a copy cat culture rather than a creative one. As soon as someone comes up with something unique, 2 months later there is a 100 tunes out that sound similar, which gives that sound a short life span and the music becomes throw away. I’ve had to stop checking out certain forums because the content is now a constant stream of “how do I make *insert popular producer here* type sound?” As annoying and frustrating as it is, I think it’s a good thing. This will push the truly creative to be more creative, and music will evolve for the better.

In regards to labels. Major labels do not want touch artists unless they have an established name, so many soundcloud plays or twitter followers. That’s because it’s big business with big money involved and people who don’t give a shit about the music having a significant input into what goes on and what gets released. It comes down to why take the risk on a no name over someone who has a proven following? This is what motivates these “producers” to jump on the popular sounds, spam your twitter, spam you soundcloud etc.. Sign up to services that boost your online profile and try to boost statistics. (if this is you, suck my left ball bag.)

For those not that way inclined, don’t worry, there is still hope. Major labels are not required to release music. There are plenty of labels run buy creative people who are passionate about music and if your music is good enough, it is easier than ever to get your demo listened to. However, it is also easier than ever to set up a record label which means there are a lot of shitty labels that have nothing offer, who will quite happily sign your music. Be sensible and don’t just sign away your work just so you can say your song got signed!

On the future of DNB, it will change, just like everything. It won’t die, it might go strictly underground again, but that may not be a bad thing. DNB as you know it may not be the same, but for some people it never got better than jungle.

TLDR: you will never be a fisherman.

I dont know about all that "dnb is failing" thing. It's getting saturated, but its not failing. As someone stated on the first page, dnb has already died about 4 times in the past. And still every 10 years it manages to bump to the top charts...

I think groelle is right on this one. Getting your sound out there via a respectable and trustworthy label has more to do with yourself and the sound you do, than who you know or don't know. I got in touch with dj AMC (who I didn't know at all) with a tune I made a few years back - he liked it and last year I signed a tune for him. Now I have a deal with him to get the first listen to everything I do in case it suits his label and he wants to release it. Most tracks sent to dropboxes or emails do get a listen, but not all. I understand that too, as a big label might be getting 100 submissions a day - most of it not up to par with today's standards unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom