The best kind of Dnb...

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
Is the kind that makes you feel like there is no one else in the room and you can dance how you fuckin want...

Is the kind that makes you wanna go fucking nuts for no particular reason what-so-ever...

Is the kind that inspires you to do something...

Is that why its so hard to make?

I can so relate to this man, that's why I don't like most jump up really.

i think its difficult to make anything good, you can make music all day but making good music is a completely different matter. i sure hope to make something good soon.

dunno if anyone else gets this but one of the worst things for me is when u are writing a tune and vibing off it, you think it is good and it basically rights itself in a session. then when u come back to it, it sounds different to how you heard it last time, and you can't add anything to it. just end up sitting there helpless listen over with no direction and eventually sick of the tune you were so sure was a winner!

I think that

music that emotes feelings is mostly related to melody. Some drum and bass is very simple musically, which makes it even more interesting. Still, most of the bare bass stuff doesn't do much for me in a home/sit-down listening environment, but a good rave is another matter.

dunno if anyone else gets this but one of the worst things for me is when u are writing a tune and vibing off it, you think it is good and it basically rights itself in a session. then when u come back to it, it sounds different to how you heard it last time, and you can't add anything to it. just end up sitting there helpless listen over with no direction and eventually sick of the tune you were so sure was a winner!

yeh man. i deffinately get that.
It feels like fucking the 'music fairies' nust in to your studio and try 'helping' you out by changing all of your mix levels whilst your alseep. Thats probably what happens.
Also they add a slightly out of tune melody to your track (only by a few cents) that will never sit with the harmonic pad - but you made it happen the day before right? so what gives, what have they done to it?

fuck them faires...

My favourite drum n bass is the kind that is best listened to at the top of tall structures with a vast amount of space around you. Feels best at night. It makes you feel a good kind of isolation and just drift through your thoughts.
Used to do it as a kid. I used to climb massive gas containers and just watch and listen. Or on my old roof that had a great view of a bunch of fields and London tower bridge. Memories
Im getting on a bit now so I just close my eyes, but its not nearly the same feeling :)

yeh man. i deffinately get that.
It feels like fucking the 'music fairies' nust in to your studio and try 'helping' you out by changing all of your mix levels whilst your alseep. Thats probably what happens.
Also they add a slightly out of tune melody to your track (only by a few cents) that will never sit with the harmonic pad - but you made it happen the day before right? so what gives, what have they done to it?

fuck them faires...

My favourite drum n bass is the kind that is best listened to at the top of tall structures with a vast amount of space around you. Feels best at night. It makes you feel a good kind of isolation and just drift through your thoughts.
Used to do it as a kid. I used to climb massive gas containers and just watch and listen. Or on my old roof that had a great view of a bunch of fields and London tower bridge. Memories
Im getting on a bit now so I just close my eyes, but its not nearly the same feeling :)

Fuckin fairy cunts!

Wow... that sounds awsome man! I sorta do that too. Me and my mate sit on my 'balcony' (The roof of my garage) with a six pack and just watch the world go by. fuckin love it. especially if the sun/moon is out!

i would find it hard to state a best type of dnb beyond personal preference, sometimes you want energy sometimes you want to chill out, i wouldnt really be able to elect one type of beat and state it as best. although it makes me glad that people can find solitude in one specific no matter what mood they are in, thats concrete, but i need different types of beats and thats why i love this genre!!

Last edited:
Actually reminded me, what I do with my tunes recently is I test if I really would like it, see if it's skankable/headnodable and if it isn't then I just get at it until it is. It's kinda odd but sometimes I look back at a tune and think "I wouldn't listen to that..." so yeah it's a pain. I am heavy into pink floyd lately, and I want to incorporate that into dnb but I just can't so that's where I make rock music with my band every once in a while. But maybe some dnb will work with guitars, but the timing on the guitars would have to be spot on the match the quantized as shit drums.

I'm sure I'll get told I'm pathetic or something but what helps me is I upload my 1/2 finished track to my iphone or mp3 player so I can listen to it on my cheap arse earphones at random times during the day- at 5am in the morning whilst still in bed or when I'm in the city waiting for a bus to get to work or at the the cafe having a morning coffee ... usually listening to it at random times in random places works the treat, kinda like a writer taking his laptop to the cafe to have a coffee and work on his book... also listening to it on cheap arse earphones from time to time seems to of been a big help, not sure exactly why...

Last edited:
I'm sure I'll get told I'm pathetic or something but what helps me is I upload my 1/2 finished track to my iphone or mp3 player so I can listen to it on my cheap arse earphones at random times during the day- at 5am in the morning whilst still in bed or when I'm in the city waiting for a bus to get to work or at the the cafe having a morning coffee ... usually listening to it at random times in random places works the treat, kinda like a writer taking his laptop to the cafe to have a coffee and work on his book... also listening to it on cheap arse earphones from time to time seems to of been a big help, not sure exactly why...

Definitely this. I hear things I never heard while I was sitting at my pc. Especially the structure, maybe because there's nothing visual involved, it seems easier to hear if things are coming too in early or late, sections too long, that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom