Need someone with a decent setup to judge this b-line

n.minas

As the title says i want you guys to listen to this b-line and give me your thoughts.

I not interested in the pattern of it or any other aspect of the loop other than the actual sound quality of the bass on a decent setup.

I dont have a sub and my monitors dont really cope with it but on my house stereo it sounds good to me so i just want to know how close/far away i am from a decent sounding bass line.

I am a noob so please dont be cussing my efforts, i just need to know if i have a decent sound that shakes up the place in the right way. Ive spent ages on it trying to give it a nice deep sub sound but did not back it up with a sub as my pluggin and a few effect sort of gave it that sub feel to it anyway. Well i think so but i cant wait for your criticisms to be honest as thats the only way im going to learn.

Anyways sorry for rambling peeps and thanks in advance for any help you can offer the noob!

http://soundcloud.com/knowledgehungry/dnb-rework

Just relized i posted in the wrong place sorry !!

Last edited:
easy mate... personally i don't use 'effects' to create a sub bass, you loose an element of control. Even if i make a synth that still has really deep tones, i duplicate it and use one for the sub and one for synth.

and sorry, no decent system to check this out on! and one last bit of advice, sign up to soundcloud and get an account so you can host your music... people are far less likely to listen if they have to download something ;)

First of all thank you both for your quick response, there much appreciated

Sound advice richie_stix i will get an account with them asap, When you say"i duplicate it and use one for the sub and one for synth" do you mean you duplicate the pattern of the bass and then add a sub in the same pattern so the play together?

logikz please excuse my noobness but could you elaborate a little mate. Like give me an example of what kind of effects to use when im taking it to hell and back and also when you say "resample" do you mean clone the sample itself into another channel so i can layer it?

Also I dont get wot you mean by"split it in 2 or 3" lol

Really sorry for my inexperience but im getting there so please bear with me.

PS It would help if you could comment on whats actually wrong with it or what i should be doing to make it sound better so i can learn as im going along.

well, what software are you using?

in ableton you can duplicate your 'track', ie two copies of the same sound... on lets say, the top one, cut the low end with a filter... then on the 'bottom' one, cut the top and most of the mids and remove some of the harmonics from this one (ie some of the oscillators)... hope that helps?

you put a bit of reverb on your bass's? never can tell if your being serious though logikz?

i also always put some reverb on my upper bass sounds not the sub obviously tho as that muddies up the mix but a slight amount on the main bass sounds can give space and make them sit in the mix better imo.

Bit of ClassicReverb with the right settings can change the tone of your bass completely. About 2.5m, medium damping, less high damping, no early reflections, something like that.

when were already there, what is damping then?

but yeah, i like reverb aswell ;)

and for splitting it up: you could also route it to your mixer, and from then on, not route it directly into the master bus, but splitting it up to 2-3 busses that you by using equalizers, split up to the frequencys you want to affect differently.

I couldn't tell you exactly what it does to the signal, but in general it's supposed to simulate the changes in a room that affect reflections.

So no damping will sound more like an empty space, and damping will pretty much do what it says and dampen the reflections, as in a room full of people or other material that absorbs sound.

I'm sure someone can give a better explanation than that, but that's how I picture it.

You have all gave me food for thought and also raised a few questions, thanks. I will have another go at it and post back soon but im on my way out now so i will check in later with those questions and a revised version of the bass.

Cheers guys!

PS Im using FL 9 Sorry i forgot to include that info

Hi guys, First of all thank you all for your previous advice i have tried to take most of it in although some went right over my head lol

I have had another go at trying to come up with something that sounds half decent and although it sounds better that the last one,(to me anyways) i still think im missing something.

Im on a mission to get this dnb production thing down and i know im missing lots of vital points here but there's just so much to take in. I would this like (half finnished) track this to be judged and criticized.

Please be as harsh and blunt as you want as thats the only way im gonna learn, but please try and tell me what ive done right as well as what ive done wrong so i gain a better understanding progress further.

Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/knowledgehungry/dnb-rework

your sub bass is pretty good sounding except it lacks any autonomation.... master is too constant,try to add more life to your sub,more things that are changing

above your sub bass is that horible mid- wobble witch is bad but I heard worse,its ok,every producer is in this phase when he starts makin music

your sub definately have potential

second wobble that is in later parts of track is slighty better but it still not good,you need to cut high freqency on it try to cut it at 10.000HZ if that wont work try to cut it in 7.000-5.000hz area.... play more with master in mid wobble too and ad variabile reverb,this should ad more action into your tune,

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

i also always put some reverb on my upper bass sounds not the sub obviously tho as that muddies up the mix but a slight amount on the main bass sounds can give space and make them sit in the mix better imo.

you can put reverb on sub bass,I done it right way and it sound good.... but generaly I dont recomend it

Last edited:
Yeah I only just found out about reverb on the bass layers recently, it's like a really poorly kept secret imo, but is amazingly effective, obviously don't just soak it but a little touch can bring it out nicely. I've only got headphones on at the moment though bud so I'll have a listen when I get home later on tonight

your sub bass is pretty good sounding except it lacks any autonomation.... master is too constant,try to add more life to your sub,more things that are changing

Funny you should say that considering the sub was the only thing that i did with my eyes and not my ears due to only having monitors lol

I know the track lacks changes but i was more trying to focus on getting a decent sound out of the samples, not the automation of everything. But i didnt even do that : )

Ima hit the drawwing board again over the next couple of days with all comments in mind and try agian to make things a little more interesting.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom