Set building

Cube

www.exegene.com
VIP Junglist
:(

i aint never done a proper 2 hour set, nor 1 hour..
just bedroom djing the odd few tracks..
so i was wondering..
when playing out somewhere.. how is a set usually built?
how long do you let each track play before mixing into the next (cuz most of my rex are 6-10 mins long, so might get boring if i mix out near the end)
start off with a big opener? or not?
how many tracks till you drop the big ass fucker that is the track everyone remembers when they go home?
how many tracks do you usually play in 1 hour? 2 hours?
finish off with a dark tune?
play a big tune a few times? :shrug: :oops:
thanks if you help... :jerkit: if you dont :lol:

dude, its all in your hands, typically when you do play out, you have more than enough records with a differnt variety of styles, and feelings! dark, light, fast, slow, deep! whatever it be, you can sort your records out to how you feel, or the style of it, and go from there.

When playing out live, its all about feeling the crowd. yes you can play a pre-planned set, but if noone is movin their shit on the dancefloor half way thru you know theres something wrong, either them or you :) any more q's ?

illv//

illv said:
dude, its all in your hands, typically when you do play out, you have more than enough records with a differnt variety of styles, and feelings! dark, light, fast, slow, deep! whatever it be, you can sort your records out to how you feel, or the style of it, and go from there.

When playing out live, its all about feeling the crowd. yes you can play a pre-planned set, but if noone is movin their shit on the dancefloor half way thru you know theres something wrong, either them or you :) any more q's ?

illv//

the mans right. the only thing id say is dont wait right til the end to mix out all ur tunes. use a bit of variation for good effect. i personally like to hav moments in a set where the tunes come n go really quick and throw in a few teasers as well. the vocals from the dillinja mix of tali's blazin' and the eerie noises from bad company's hornet are a few of my favourite bits to chop in at the moment :)

Cube said:
yea, kinda..
i guess i just gotta go n do it..
and pray i dont trainwreck :lol:

thanks ;)

mate, do exactly what rings your bells when you are on the dancefloor yourself. Be honest to that and your technique will develop

really man just roll it out and do what you're feeling at the time but also what the crowd seems to get into, and bring a variety of tracks. I hate a set that's just all crazy hard shit, or mellow liquid shit. Build it up, break it down, get funky, build it up again, play some rollers, just keep it interesting.

JimJapBap said:
really man just roll it out and do what you're feeling at the time but also what the crowd seems to get into, and bring a variety of tracks. I hate a set that's just all crazy hard shit, or mellow liquid shit. Build it up, break it down, get funky, build it up again, play some rollers, just keep it interesting.

that is just one of many differnt styles you can contain your mixes with

illv//

Back
Top Bottom