How did you guys make those heavy basses?

Krispy

VIP Junglist
My question is more directed towards the recent competition. Using those supplied sounds, I am wondering what some people did to achieve some of those heavy basses I heard using various processing techniques. This is one part of my production skills I would like to improve.

If anyone wants to disclose some of those secrets or just tell me some info it would be helpful :confused:

Thanks!

i for my part (and the few bars i got together) used the multisampled lead, pitched it down, compressed it, put some distortion on and equalized that,got a proper bad bassline out of that.

there were quite a few good samples for sub in there. try pitchin down the low kick in there, should work a treat aswell!

good luck

i for my part (and the few bars i got together) used the multisampled lead, pitched it down, compressed it, put some distortion on and equalized that,got a proper bad bassline out of that.

there were quite a few good samples for sub in there. try pitchin down the low kick in there, should work a treat aswell!

good luck

This. I dont want to disclose too much just yet incase I let slip which one mine is. But yeah, find a sample, lower it an octave or two, compress it. Maybe stretch it a bit too

To put distortion on it would you use something like a bitcrusher vst or similar?

not quite... you could argue that a bit crusher is a form of distortion but generally when people talk about distortion they are talking about overdrive based distortion

search for overdrives, distortion, and tube/valve emu's

some of my regular disortion effects i use are D16 Devastor, Antares Tube, FL Blood Overdrive, Tone2 BiFilter

BiFilter is an EXCELLENT tool.... you can really mangle shit up..... and its free... google it ;)

Silverspike Ruby Tube is another good free one... its an overdrivable tube emu....

your DAW probably has a few built in too

I like the Camel Audio SuperCamelPhat2. It's got 2 distortion modes, a LP filter with envelope and simple flanger, compression and bass boost settings. Plus it has a handy mono-stereo switch built in.

Also on much use are PSP saturator but not on heavy distortions, more suitable to light drum saturation.

And the MS20 that's included in the Korg Legacy collection has the best overdrive in the FX version of the plug that I've ever heard. Too bad it's not very versatile.

Back
Top Bottom