Monitor Size VS. Room Size

Gr1pz

Aka - Align.
VIP Junglist
whazzap, im about to build a little "studio room". Its gunna be about a 10x12ft room or 3m x 3.5m room. I was wondering what size drivers I should use on my monitors. I've heard that too big of drivers in a small rooms distorts the sounds and is unnecessary.

I've heard that too big of drivers in a small rooms distorts the sounds and is unnecessary.

Yea thats about right, smaller rooms are bad for reflections that will "colour" what you hear from your speakers, as you'll be hearing some sound directly from the speakers, and some thats bouncing back from the walls/ceiling around you. The main problem is the low end, higher frequencies can be contolled quite easily with acoustic foam etc, but low frequencies need more mass to absorb them, which is the problem when the rooms quite small. Be worth having a look round the sound on sound forums and at some of their articles, you'll get a good idea of the best way to set things out.

As far as monitors go, most nearfield monitors will be designed with smaller rooms in mind so you shouldnt have a problem, its only bigger monitors that cause a lot of trouble.

Last edited:
buy some bass traps for the corners of the room as well. I need to get some acoustic foam for my room as well, dunno if u have heard my latest podcast; it sounds like im in the toilet! haha

One hot tip is to have things symmetrical so you have an even stereo image.

Leave enough room behind the monitors, at least 0.5m from the wall behind them.

Before settling for the setup, try moving things around the room. It's surprising how something like a sofa can affect the sound. The best place would be directly behind the setup so it acts as a bass trap for the corner where the floor and the back wall meet. Try moving the speakers too, it's a matter of finding the spot with the least bass reflections. When the bass bounces back from the wall and the reflection is in a good phase (90*, 180* or 270*) it will either boost the frequency or cut it you see. By moving the speakers you can change the phase that a certain frequency will reflect from the wall. It's impossible to eliminate everything with placement but the results can be surprisingly good too.

Oh and btw if you're real serious about that kind of stuff you should get a measuring mic. They're not as expensive as you'd think. Behringer will set you back about 50€ on this.

I don't have one, but if I ever manage to get a room to use just as a studio, I'll be sure to get that.

thanks for the info guys, I was planning on doing some research on room acoustics before I contructed the room. Im not trying to make it into a full on studio since ill only be living there for hopefully less then a year. Just trying to do some investigating before I buy monitors I dont need.

When the bass bounces back from the wall and the reflection is in a good phase (90*, 180* or 270*) it will either boost the frequency or cut it you see.

A simple way of seeing this is by simply turning your computer speakers around your desk and noticing the difference. (obviously not if you have a laptop)

I made 4 panels 24"X24" and threw 'em behind my amps; and it sounded better instantly. I also put eye hooks in them, so i can make a mini booth for mic recordings.

Definitely worth your time to make some panels.

Yea thats about right, smaller rooms are bad for reflections that will "colour" what you hear from your speakers, as you'll be hearing some sound directly from the speakers, and some thats bouncing back from the walls/ceiling around you. The main problem is the low end, higher frequencies can be contolled quite easily with acoustic foam etc, but low frequencies need more mass to absorb them, which is the problem when the rooms quite small. Be worth having a look round the sound on sound forums and at some of their articles, you'll get a good idea of the best way to set things out.

As far as monitors go, most nearfield monitors will be designed with smaller rooms in mind so you shouldnt have a problem, its only bigger monitors that cause a lot of trouble.

buy some bass traps for the corners of the room as well.

One hot tip is to have things symmetrical so you have an even stereo image.

Leave enough room behind the monitors, at least 0.5m from the wall behind them.

Before settling for the setup, try moving things around the room. It's surprising how something like a sofa can affect the sound. The best place would be directly behind the setup so it acts as a bass trap for the corner where the floor and the back wall meet. Try moving the speakers too, it's a matter of finding the spot with the least bass reflections. When the bass bounces back from the wall and the reflection is in a good phase (90*, 180* or 270*) it will either boost the frequency or cut it you see. By moving the speakers you can change the phase that a certain frequency will reflect from the wall. It's impossible to eliminate everything with placement but the results can be surprisingly good too.

What they said

And some flat wall traps are badass too.. but definitely in the corners!

Spot on

OP, make sure that when you've (or you think you have) 'completed' your room... to do a bunch of critical listening with your favorite Reference material... and compare it to how you 'know' it should sound. Then attempt to get your room ro reproduce this material (that you know is perfectly mixed/mastered) as 'flatly' and accurately as possible.

g/l w/it

I find using aduio from a video or from TV is the best for doing this. But always listen on loud and quiet with your favorite song.

Really? Maybe a DvD that you had a lot of respect for, but "TV"??? Reference material should be your favorite music imo... whether it's a Record or a Tape, or a CD... it's got to be something that the listener has heard a million times in multiple setups and 'knows' 100% how the music should sound. But I guess you could say the same of a TV show... but I dunno... that sounds risky.

This is definitely good advice. Lol, referencing music can be an art unto itself... when you consider where your ears are in relation to the speakers, volumes, mood, general fatigue level of the ears, etc.

Really? Maybe a DvD that you had a lot of respect for, but "TV"??? Reference material should be your favorite music imo... whether it's a Record or a Tape, or a CD... it's got to be something that the listener has heard a million times in multiple setups and 'knows' 100% how the music should sound. But I guess you could say the same of a TV show... but I dunno... that sounds risky.

This is definitely good advice. Lol, referencing music can be an art unto itself... when you consider where your ears are in relation to the speakers, volumes, mood, general fatigue level of the ears, etc.

every sound/mix/mastering/postproduction engineer/producer should have some reference tunes, maybe about 7-10.. one tune for the bass, one for the high hat mix, etc etc! . hmm tv may be a bit odd tho :/

usefull thankis, I dont know the size i wohld have to buy them, ive seen Samson 3`-5`and 8` and the diference in cash is a lot.

Back
Top Bottom