HYQXYZ - Black Hole

horace111

My name is Jago (HYQXYZ)
Last edited:
You've definately come a hell of a long way since you posted your early attempts when you first joined up here. There's so much more structure to this track than anything I've heard from you in the past.....well done.

You still have the same problem I've noticed in your previous work, and thats your mixdown sounding too muddy. Everything sounds like it's cluttered around the midrange. Make sure every sound is on it's own mixer channel, and has an EQ assigned to it, that way you can give each sound its own place in the spectrum. Also your bass is fucking huge!!! It sounds fantastic but it's not letting your drums through the mix. Try throwing a compressor on your drums, and maybe lower the volume, or the frequency of your bass by a small amount.

Artwork is cool, but I still think you need a new artist name, no-one is ever gonna be able to pronounce that!

You've definately come a hell of a long way since you posted your early attempts when you first joined up here. There's so much more structure to this track than anything I've heard from you in the past.....well done.

You still have the same problem I've noticed in your previous work, and thats your mixdown sounding too muddy. Everything sounds like it's cluttered around the midrange. Make sure every sound is on it's own mixer channel, and has an EQ assigned to it, that way you can give each sound its own place in the spectrum. Also your bass is fucking huge!!! It sounds fantastic but it's not letting your drums through the mix. Try throwing a compressor on your drums, and maybe lower the volume, or the frequency of your bass by a small amount.

Artwork is cool, but I still think you need a new artist name, no-one is ever gonna be able to pronounce that!

Thanks, it's great to hear i'm making progress. :)
About these mixer tracks, do I have to put every sound on a seperate mixer track? Because now I select all my drum hit samples and send them to one track, my bass to another and my synth(s) to another and then I equalize them.
Thought about using a new artist name a lot, but whenever I come up with something, it's either ridiculous or already taken ;D
How did you find yours & did it take you long to find one?

Greets!

There is no "correct" way of doing it, but I'll give you a quick rundown of how I do things.

I always start a track with the drums, period. I'll throw down some kicks, snares, hats and shakers, then arrange them into a good sounding pattern. All my kicks will be linked to channel 1 of my mixer, snares to channel 2 and hats and shakers to channel 3. I'll drop the high end EQ on channel 1 (as thats my kicks, which dont use the high end of the frequency range) and throw a compressor on there to help push the kicks through the mix. On channel 2 I'll lower the high end and the real low end of the frequency range (as snares use mostly mid range ) then play around with minor adjustments on the spectrum until the snares sound right to me. Again I'll throw another compressor on here too, to help the snares come through. Onto channel 3, and this see's me lowering all low end and most mid range of the frequency spectrum (hats only use the high end). I'll also sometimes throw a stereo enhancer on this channel to throw the sounds out to the sides a little. By following these first few steps, you are initially creating space in the soundstage for all aspects of your drums to work together without getting in the way of each other. (So you now have your kicks using most of the low end, snares sitting in the middle, and hats and shakers taking up the high end).

I then move onto creating a bassline, find the sound, create the riff however you see fit etc etc. Then that bass sound will go onto my 4th channel. Again I'll lower the high end and maybe some of the mid range too (depending on what sort of bass sound I'm using). Sometimes I'll throw a distort on there or something else to give it more body. If it's cutting out my kicks, I'll go back and slightly lower the low end on my kicks, or on the bass. Lower the volume of the bass or throw a compressor on it, just generally play around until I can hear the kicks clearly through the bass.

If I have say for example, 6, different synth's in my track, then that will be another 6 mixer channels. Each sound sits on its own channel, that way I have full control over where each sound sits in the mix, and what FX I want on each individual sound.

As for the name, I came up with Dimenzion-X fairly quickly. Not sure how, or why, it just came to me. I sat there one day thinking "I need an artist name" Ran through a load of shitty ones in my head, then that one just popped in there!

Sorry for the huuuuuge post, but hopefully it can help you understand a little....

There is no "correct" way of doing it, but I'll give you a quick rundown of how I do things.

I always start a track with the drums, period. I'll throw down some kicks, snares, hats and shakers, then arrange them into a good sounding pattern. All my kicks will be linked to channel 1 of my mixer, snares to channel 2 and hats and shakers to channel 3. I'll drop the high end EQ on channel 1 (as thats my kicks, which dont use the high end of the frequency range) and throw a compressor on there to help push the kicks through the mix. On channel 2 I'll lower the high end and the real low end of the frequency range (as snares use mostly mid range ) then play around with minor adjustments on the spectrum until the snares sound right to me. Again I'll throw another compressor on here too, to help the snares come through. Onto channel 3, and this see's me lowering all low end and most mid range of the frequency spectrum (hats only use the high end). I'll also sometimes throw a stereo enhancer on this channel to throw the sounds out to the sides a little. By following these first few steps, you are initially creating space in the soundstage for all aspects of your drums to work together without getting in the way of each other. (So you now have your kicks using most of the low end, snares sitting in the middle, and hats and shakers taking up the high end).

I then move onto creating a bassline, find the sound, create the riff however you see fit etc etc. Then that bass sound will go onto my 4th channel. Again I'll lower the high end and maybe some of the mid range too (depending on what sort of bass sound I'm using). Sometimes I'll throw a distort on there or something else to give it more body. If it's cutting out my kicks, I'll go back and slightly lower the low end on my kicks, or on the bass. Lower the volume of the bass or throw a compressor on it, just generally play around until I can hear the kicks clearly through the bass.

If I have say for example, 6, different synth's in my track, then that will be another 6 mixer channels. Each sound sits on its own channel, that way I have full control over where each sound sits in the mix, and what FX I want on each individual sound.

As for the name, I came up with Dimenzion-X fairly quickly. Not sure how, or why, it just came to me. I sat there one day thinking "I need an artist name" Ran through a load of shitty ones in my head, then that one just popped in there!

Sorry for the huuuuuge post, but hopefully it can help you understand a little....

No.... Thanks for the huge post!
Those are techniques that i'll have to try in my future tracks, but you explained them well. I think I have an idea now of how to mix my stuff.
The problem is that I have a really really bad pc, and while making this track it used 90%-95% of my cpu and everything started to hang and crackle. I'm going to buy a new one soon, and I hope I'll be able to use those techniques then. (i'll just go on and think of artist names, one day i'll come up with a good one,but untill then.. it will be unpronouncable ;D )

Thanks for the explanations!

What are you using to produce? I use FL Studio and when I first started I had the same issues with crackling. Turned out to be a simple latency issue. I upped the latency slider and since then I've had no problems.

mate the structure and elements in this tune are great, and the layouts good and the bass is nasty

but for me your drums and the mixdown on a whole really let the track down.
it has alot of potential if you got more into EQing and compressing, seperatly doing that proccess with each of your drums (kicks and snares in particular) makes the beat alot smoother, not that im any proffesional myself but to me it sounds like you havnt started doing that yet?

but then again if u have acheived the sound you want then you can be satisfied enough you know! good work all the same man

Fl studio, but my slider is already maxed out.
There's nothing you can do to change it when you have only one GB of ram and not even a dual core processor ;D
I'm also using genesis for the stranger sounds, and it eats my processor for breakfast. :D

Thanks, the EQing and stuff, exactly the same explanation as a gave to Mr fletch... My pc just can't run such an amount of EQ's and compressors. :/

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks, the EQing and stuff, exactly the same explanation as a gave to Mr fletch... My pc just can't run such an amount of EQ's and compressors. :/

Thanks for your reply!

cant you bounce a couple of tracks when your happy with them, then load the audio back into another track and then freeze the original track. this will save your cpu power. then you can eq the wav. might be a thought.

cant you bounce a couple of tracks when your happy with them, then load the audio back into another track and then freeze the original track. this will save your cpu power. then you can eq the wav. might be a thought.

That is a very good idea, I think I'll try that in the coming days ;D !

Have you just maxed out the latency slider in FL Studio? Maybe you should try the slider in your Asio sound driver? That too has a latency slider???

loving the bass dude...rowdy!

one of the open-hats really kills my ear thou...

talking about EQ-ing in FL ... Q-Brick has a good drum EQ-ing on Youtube...you might wanna catch that one out :)

Back
Top Bottom