Some Advice Please...

*SweetPea*

LADY VINYL
VIP Junglist
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting decks, and I've got about £600 to spend...

I want to get 1210s, standard... But I need some help/advice about getting a mixer.

I want one that's quite easy to use, won't break on me and is generally recommended.

Thing is, I don't know whether with mixers it's best to buy brand new, or if second hand is fine.
Also, I want to learn how to scratch once I've learnt how to mix and stuff. Would it be best for me to buy a mixer that's good for scratching to start with, or buy an easy to use, cheapish one till I've learnt beatmatching and all that and then get one that's good for scratching?

Any help would be really appreciated. Thankyou. :)

P.S. I did look at other 'I need a mixer' threads, but they didn't really seem to be after the same type of thing as me.

I would get a two channel Urei.. Solid as fuck, and sound quality is amazing about £250 and simple enough to get your head around as a beginner.

1601_c_big.jpg

***Edit***

Saying that I just looked on decks.co.uk and there not on there no more... I bought one just before I got my djm-800, so I guess just over 3 years ago. Dunno if the are still about know though :confused:

Last edited:
I would get a two channel Urei.. Solid as fuck, and sound quality is amazing about £250 and simple enough to get your head around as a beginner.

1601_c_big.jpg

***Edit***

Saying that I just looked on decks.co.uk and there not on there no more... I bought one just before I got my djm-800, so I guess just over 3 years ago. Dunno if the are still about know though :confused:

Nah I think these ones are out of production.
As for beginner mixers Numark ones are quite solid.

I thought that!!

Where can i actually buy them from tho? I googled the mixer, and it just came up with loads of american sites.

checical-records.co.uk amazon.co.uk ebay.co.uk djstore.com are also worth a looky...

HTFR is a no no (imo)

I think if you've got the cash get one of these:

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/numark/x9

Sturdy, lots of FXs (24bit digitial) to play with when bored, really good Crossfade curve for scratching, good ass sound quality and looks pretty tidy if you ask me ;)

Could easily re-sell for £150 in 18months too, win! PLus if it breaks there are LOADS of Numark dealers/repairers in the UK as apposed to American Audio, bare mish to get it fixed.

All things to think about SweetPea (y)

I had mine for 2 years and it never missed a beat, was absolutely spot on. Sometimes you get lucky, sometime you don't.

People absuse their equipment and they wonder why it breaks, not saying your missus did but just because someone knows someones who broke, you can't blanket every model similar with the same review. I bought a DJM-600 and the FX popped everytime when pressing the button, does that mean its shite and unreilable? No, I just got unlucky.

Swings and roundabouts.

Fair enough. My advice to SweetPea is to research whatever mixer takes her fancy. And avoid Behringers.

Anyway, here's the photo. It would often freeze like a computer and needed a reboot to carry on. In the end my missus replaced it with my old Gemini UMX-9 (which, btw, I highly recommend. Widely considered to be the best mixer Gemini have ever made).

mixer.jpg

Numark and Gemini are known for being unreliable, Behringer are even worst. Avoid at all cost imo.

Agree on Numark and Behringer but I've got an old Gemini mixer that refuses to break, BPM150 that I bought second hand in 2002 which a mate now has. It's been badly mistreated, dropped and had things spilled in it and still works fine not even any fader issues.

My Numark Matrix3 on the other hand is slowly disintegrating even though i've looked after it really well.

For less than £200 you could get a Vestax VMC002 for a bit more you could get an Allen & Heath Xone 22

I think if you've got the cash get one of these:

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/numark/x9

Sturdy, lots of FXs (24bit digitial) to play with when bored, really good Crossfade curve for scratching, good ass sound quality and looks pretty tidy if you ask me ;)

Could easily re-sell for £150 in 18months too, win! PLus if it breaks there are LOADS of Numark dealers/repairers in the UK as apposed to American Audio, bare mish to get it fixed.

All things to think about SweetPea (y)

That is a very good point...

That looks a lot like a repackaged DXM 09. My missus had a 09 and it was awful, totally unreliable. If I can find her photobucket I'll post some pics lol.

Personally I'd go for a simple 2 channel mixer

cheaper newmark mixers are a waste of space imo. you'll get 2 years if your lucky. and i'm saying that because i know plenty of people that have had them.

But then I know people who have them and swear by them. :/

I just don't know what one anymore!! hehe. Back to the drawing board I think!!

I got a 2 channel Kam mixer a few years ago and its done me well so far. Cost me about £200 with built in FX etc... Only just started having problems with it now. Kam KCM450 I think its called.

You quiet serious about this then? Seems like a large outlay for a beginner... I never bought such expensive gear as my first decks. Do you have an local dj equipment shops, probably worth while going and physically having a look at some of the products and weighing up what will be most suitable for you.

In my opinion you shouldn't worry in regards to scratching and more advance turntablism techniques untill you have a firm understanding of what you want from your equipment. Then the decision should be easy as you know exactly what you want and why you want it.

I started using a Behringer mixer and Stanton belt drives... These where pretty shoddy bits of kit, but gave me a footing untill I decided that this was something that I wanted to invest in...

When it did come to spending £££ I knew exactly what I wanted, and why I wanted it.

The only mixer I personnally would pay for in that sort of price range is the Allen & Heath Xone 22, seeing as the Urei seems to be discontinued http://www.decks.co.uk/products/allen_heath/Xone22

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom