a new ad for traktor says "dj's are so overrated, listen to traktor pro"

demonicdnb

got duct-tape?
I assume they are saying basically who cares if you can dj because you can do so much more by just pushing buttons.

thoughts?

Traktor Pro is just the software. That's why Rob thought it was disgraceful behaviour that someone would bring a laptop to a DJ competition and play a set on his laptop.

I'm an mp3j myself; i dont use Traktor (which i am assuming is a deck simulator?), but I really dont understand the hostility from vinyl djs to us :P. Pretty much the only difference is its less expensive and more versatile (if we are talking about using deck simulators, layering software aint nowhere near as good) and I'm unsure why the lad couldnt do his set on a deck simulator with mp3 controllers(requires the same amount of timing etc.)

Maybe someone could explain this to me?

well like in traktor it shows you the wave patterns and stuff like that, so you don't need to know a track as well to mix it, as you can see the drops coming etc.

I Use traktor and will do untill i can afford to get some decent decks and some vinyl - mp3 software. However I wouldn't think of entering a comp or anything using this.

The way i see it i think its like
traktor mp3 pc djing = karoake with lyrics. and using decks is similar, but you have no lyrics, so it makes it a lot harder.

shitty anology but i know what i mean!

I'm an mp3j myself; i dont use Traktor (which i am assuming is a deck simulator?), but I really dont understand the hostility from vinyl djs to us :P. Pretty much the only difference is its less expensive and more versatile (if we are talking about using deck simulators, layering software aint nowhere near as good) and I'm unsure why the lad couldnt do his set on a deck simulator with mp3 controllers(requires the same amount of timing etc.)

Maybe someone could explain this to me?

because he didnt want to use deck simulators. he wanted to play a set off tracktor alone, it beatmatches for you being the 1st argument. the second being :lamur:

i tried the demo of traktor to see what all of the fuss was about..
I couldnt really understand the thing, it was showing dnb having a bpm of 87 where clearly it isint.
The other thing I didnt like was the auto sync.. this would match any 2 - 4 tracks together completely in time by pressing one button. It was fun doing tripple/quadruple drops for about an hour but having a computer do it for you took the fun out of it.

Seeing the waveform was quite good, but if you know the songs well or generally know the structure of dnb/house/what ever then its not that usefull and in most songs you can easily guess where the drop is going to be.

one thing it is good for is mashing tunes together, like metal to dnb - that was quite fun, especially if you dont own a CDJ with 100% wide pitch.

Searching for a song was difficult (i may have been doing it wrong): it seemed that it would load up your itunes in the tinyest box possible with out a search option... so when you got 30gb of tunes it took ages to find a tune.

Then i bought a CDJ800 and i never thought about using traktor again....

i tried the demo of traktor to see what all of the fuss was about..
I couldnt really understand the thing, it was showing dnb having a bpm of 87 where clearly it isint.
The other thing I didnt like was the auto sync.. this would match any 2 - 4 tracks together completely in time by pressing one button. It was fun doing tripple/quadruple drops for about an hour but having a computer do it for you took the fun out of it.

Seeing the waveform was quite good, but if you know the songs well or generally know the structure of dnb/house/what ever then its not that usefull and in most songs you can easily guess where the drop is going to be.

one thing it is good for is mashing tunes together, like metal to dnb - that was quite fun, especially if you dont own a CDJ with 100% wide pitch.

Searching for a song was difficult (i may have been doing it wrong): it seemed that it would load up your itunes in the tinyest box possible with out a search option... so when you got 30gb of tunes it took ages to find a tune.

Then i bought a CDJ800 and i never thought about using traktor again....

i've just been playing with it then. i use it from time to time, makes just listening to music more fun. just played through alot of dubstep, and yeah, 70.2 bpm couldnt be sync'd with the 140.4 bpm (the same speed obvsly) unless done manually. doesnt recognize tracks that are the same bpm.

so even if it didnt have the sync button, its so easy to beatmatch when you've got precise bpm readout infront of you.

anyone ever used a mixer that tells you what bpm the tunes are running at. i remember having a blast on one about 8 years ago. it was only to bpm not .bpm tho so a bit of fine tuning was needed.

I have traktor Skratch Pro and if i am quite honest i never use it, its constantly ballsing up and skipping or jumpin, the PC i have is fire n all, i am jus fed up with it.

plus, u cant jus flick through MP3's like ya flickin through records, i am stickin with me vinyl.

i collected vinyl for 10 years, and just switched to traktor scratch pro in may of this year.

Don't really understand what all the fuss is about. Its no different than serato - and people are very ok with people using this DVS software / hardware platform but not that DVS platform.

And as far as sitting down and just using the software without the vinyl's is gimmicky. Yet people seem to be OK if someone delivers an ableton set on there laptop (you can auto sync your music on ableton just like traktor's software only mode)

If you wanna learn to mix, just do it. Even if that means using CDJ's (which i fully admit still intimidate the hell out of me, and i can't get a clean mix on em to save my life)

At the end of the day its what you have fun doing. As long as you are not goin up on stage and slipping in your buddies mix cd. :teeth:

Back
Top Bottom