So...What kind of hardware is everyone using?

Nomme

And also, what hardware would you like?

My M-Audio Oxygenv8 midi keyboard has been a fuckin godsend. It fits in my bag all snug with my laptop :teeth:
Oxy8_v2_web.jpg

I use an Electribe RmkII. It's so fun to make beats on.
er1mkii.jpg

I've got a Korg X5D on its way through the post at the mo' (picked it up for £80. Thought that it was quite a bargin! :D)
X5D.jpg

And I'm gunna order a Roland sh-201 at the end of the month, when I get paiiid :clown:
sh201.jpg

And for stuff that I want...

A Roland TB-303, but everyone wants one of them and they cost as much as £1500! :rinsed:
roland.TB-303-rephlex.gif

And then the TR-606
roltr60601.jpg

There are more, but I don't want to bore you any more than I already have.

Sweet kit dude,

I got a Korg padKontrol, and its megga sick for live reese and that stuff. (though its only a midi controller, and doesn't bring anything to the party if you must)

I'm thinking of getting an Electribe, would you recommend it? does is have midi?

of-course everyone wants a TR-303, 606, and 909, its just logic.

-Andy

Sweet kit dude,

I got a Korg padKontrol, and its megga sick for live reese and that stuff. (though its only a midi controller, and doesn't bring anything to the party if you must)

I'm thinking of getting an Electribe, would you recommend it? does is have midi?

of-course everyone wants a TR-303, 606, and 909, its just logic.

-Andy

Mate. I had a padkontrol about 2 years ago and I wish that I hadn't gotten rid of it, it was a really good fun tool.

Well. I'm not sure about using it for DnB purposes. I produce more general electronic music.

The downside to the electribe for DnB (the RmkII electribe anyways, I haven't used one of the newr models), is that you can layer 4 drum sounds that you have modulated yourself, there are two audio in ports, closed and open Hi Hats a crash and a clap.

Some people would find this limiting, because that's 10 different sounds (including the audio in) and DnB can be very heavily layered on times.

Also with my electribe, the sounds are made from oscilators n' such (apart from hi hats, crash and clap) so it can sound very electronic. But if you look into the newer ones, I think the SX is sample based.

On the up side. Having hardware to play with is sooooooooooooo much more fun, than sitting on a computer all day.

Also it has got MIDI, I haven't used it in this way yet, but I'm gunna test it within the next few weeks.

Got a MXL 4000 and 603S for mics, MicroKorg for a synth, Stanton turntable, Numark CDX, Gemini shitty 2 channel mixer, Mackie 402-VLZ3, A drum pad and computer.

Last edited:
emu e6400, roland sh-32, holy grail reverb, alesis compressor, a few compact desks, an akai turntable, technics tapedeck, emu x-board, emu proteus x, and an amp i found on the street from 1843 with gain and eq and all, i really love it. i love guitar pedals too.
this is some of my kit but its not like i use it atm, im shit out of inspiration

I'm still waiting to get my Mac so aint started yet but i am right in thinking that all of these types of hardware are on decent software anyways? or you can at least get a patch for them or something? Sorry if thats a stupid question..

My old man has a little Zoom drum pad thingy and loads of Fxs pedals as he plays guitar and writes his own tunes, so could I use all that in conjunction with Logic say?

emu e6400, roland sh-32, holy grail reverb, alesis compressor, a few compact desks, an akai turntable, technics tapedeck, emu x-board, emu proteus x, and an amp i found on the street from 1843 with gain and eq and all, i really love it. i love guitar pedals too.
this is some of my kit but its not like i use it atm, im shit out of inspiration

one day im gonna come over, steal your dope and your equipment and leave you some inspiration :twisted:

day after youve been here ill start playing the guitar, a timpanie on my back and the tambourine under my foot at the same time with an harmonica strapped to me face, like the loony street musicians on the square. better than nothing i suppose

Ali your sig is pretty schyzo.

Men i don't get the point of getting hardware. I mean, for the synth you need a controller, then you have a huge bunch of virtual synth which do the job greatly. Most of them are directly produced by the firms which develop the hardware synths, with the same algorythm.

Then for the effects you have a lot of native presets in you DAW and a lot more in software mode to add if you are not satisfied by the natives ones. Even in pro studios, they use software FX like Isotope.

Why buy hardware?

It's not ironic, if somebody have a constructive answer to that, i would be glad.

Why buy hardware?

I know what you mean. I know that the DAW's seem to have everything, but personally I find that I feel distant from the stuff that I am producing (if you see what I mean) because I'm moving all the knobs and changing the faders using a mouse.

I just don't feel a part of it sometimes...

So I got the electribe and I already had the oxygen, so I thought that I could just use them at the same time, sorta like using them live I guess and it felt so much more fun! So I'm building up a small arsenal, so that I can do stand-alone stuff. Rather than having to sit at a computer, I can just sit or stand there with the instruments and just play around and experiment :clown:

Also there is one point that I'd like to draw attention to. Does anyone find that on DAWs, that because you have so much on these, you lack inspiration becuase you have sorta too much to work with?

I find that if I limit myself to a peice of hardware and just have a good old bash at it I have more fun and I'm working with what I have, rather than having a million different options on lets say massive. Where you could spend all day trying things out and come up with nothing, whilst the hardware is limiting you to the interface right in front of you and you're just going with the groove.

And also, when you have a piece of hardware, with limited functions, you will learn how to use that thing back to front you will know how to pull out the sounds that you want without too much hastle (you could do that with a VST, but the hardware synth is a thing there, you know how to use that instrument and it's more of an instrument to you than just another VST. I noticed that I got attached to my equipment, but I feel like a VST is a VST, it just feels like a tool)

That's my answer to my question my kind sir. Hope it showed you kinda why I like to use hardware.

Ok buddy,

i must agree with you on most of your points, but i think i gonna stay with my softwares for the moment.
I must admit that i hopped you to tell me a great secret about hardware and stuff...that they were lot more awesome because of that or that feature... guess i was right too.
Everyone have his own path.

day after youve been here ill start playing the guitar, a timpanie on my back and the tambourine under my foot at the same time with an harmonica strapped to me face, like the loony street musicians on the square. better than nothing i suppose

you still be doing drum and bass then? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom