Low end eq O'clock position

The tune has already been mastered by a professional so it's not going to be improved by tweaking a 3 band EQ. Unless the pressing is really fucking poo, but I normally find bad pressings lack mid, not bass.

cheers man, i know it seemed a bit of a stupid question..

i think my mixer has died a bit on the low ends.. seems like if i take the eq over 8-9 oclock is far far too basey :/

Has it always been like that? Sounds more likely to be the speaker setup than a dud mixer.

the mixer is a 3 channel vestax one and im playing through tapco s-8's.
i produce through them and dont have any problems with my mixes being bottom heavy... so i dunno.
I will take a closer look later on

bit puzzled!

Hmm maybe your Vestax is just lacking bass. Seems strange though. Is this a new thing or has it always been like it?

Also, vinyl or CD/Serato? There's a slim chance that it's your stylii if you play vinyl. As spherical stylii wear down they get more sibilant, which might give the impression that bass has disappeared. You'd probably notice something like that though.

Hmm maybe your Vestax is just lacking bass. Seems strange though. Is this a new thing or has it always been like it?

Also, vinyl or CD/Serato? There's a slim chance that it's your stylii if you play vinyl. As spherical stylii wear down they get more sibilant, which might give the impression that bass has disappeared. You'd probably notice something like that though.

i have 2 1210's and a cdj800, the mixer has always been like this (i bought it second hand) but ive just learned to use it like this.
its not that im lacking in bass, its that i have waaayy to much at 12 o'clock, so i have to keep it around Quarter (9 o'clock) to. when im bringin in a tune and say i wanna bass switch etc i have to keep one at 7 o'clock and one at 9...
hmmmm

its not that im lacking in bass, its that i have waaayy to much at 12 o'clock,

Sorry, you already said this but I had a total brain fart.

Too much bass. Hmmm.

I seem to remember hearing that Vestax are naturally bassy, but it's been a long time since I heard one. I doubt that's the problem though.

How are your monitors positioned? 8" drivers will naturally have fairly good bass at home. If they are close to a wall then that will only add to the boom. You say that your productions are not bass heavy; if your monitors were over-boomy then without compensation your productions would be light on bass. What else have you used as a comparison?

I suppose if some caps are breaking down in the output stage of your Vestax it could be attenuating the highs. Are the headphones or other outputs bassy too?

Do you have the same problem with vinyl and CDs? If you are using Shure M44-7s they have ridiculously bass.

im using ortofon djs pros (the back ones)

well the monitors arnt in the corners, i kno that boosts the bass roughly by 6db so i moved them...

I think tonight i will turn them off, set the mixer back at 12 o clock and adjust the monitors volumes & bass/mid boosts/cuts on the tapcos and see if can work it out.

the headphones mix is fine, but that would be pre fader, so you just get a flat eq.

I had this problem! I kept my bass as 9 O' Clock becuase anything above was way too bassy. I had my mixer plugged in to the wrong port on my Onkyo reciver (I don't use an amp). I had it plugged in to the Phono input which I now know is a no no. If you are using a reciever you want to use the TV/Video input. Once I did this I could keep all EQs at 12 O' Clock.

I had this problem! I kept my bass as 9 O' Clock becuase anything above was way too bassy. I had my mixer plugged in to the wrong port on my Onkyo reciver (I don't use an amp). I had it plugged in to the Phono input which I now know is a no no. If you are using a reciever you want to use the TV/Video input. Once I did this I could keep all EQs at 12 O' Clock.

I will bare that in mind, I will double check all of this when i go home. mine is set up like - deck, to mixer, mixer to another mixer, mixer to monitors... i dont use an amp either.

cut out the 2nd mixer your running to (i guess this is for mics or for a record line?) see if it does it directly from the 1st mixer aswell?

Back
Top Bottom