New Stylus, same problem. Issues with sound please help!

emy

VIP Junglist
I bought some cheap stylus' for my stantons but I still the same problem of heavy distortion from my speakers when two tracks are mixed together

They were cheap, very cheap but even so should this happen?

I am looking to upgrade anyway, I posted before asking about ortofons etc

Stressing me out big time as I can't mix, I'm doing open decks this sat and they say we have to bring our own cartridges..hhmmm I don't feel like using mine if the problem is with them

Speaker wise they are Alesis M1 Active 520, only had them a few months, really nice, They are still under guarantee

I think the only thing I can do now is decide on the Ortofons/ M44-7 or the stanton diablos. If the problem is still there it must be the speakers?

I don't know what else it could be

If you could help I am really gratefull :)

No the gains are not high at all. They are not above the middle

I have the distortion through the headphones too, so could it be the mixer?

Because I'm still deciding on what to upgrade to and they had no others in stock that fitted, I needed some quick to test . I am buying some expensive ones soon :)

Last edited:
What kind of mixer are you using? Is it new or old? What kind of amp do you have everything plugged into. Russla can testify to the fact that I had my shit hooked up wrong before he helped me out. Get some Ortofons!

take the headshell out of the tonearm and give the 4 point on the headshell a lick with your tongue, it sometimes works for some bizarre reason.

hmmm someone said to try contact spray. I wouldn't want to try the licking contacts thing.

I have a Numark M2 Mixer, less than a year old. I don't think it's the needles as when I swap them over the distortion doesn't swap over. And when I swap the deck connections over the problem stays with the same deck so it's not the channel on the mixer?. I'll do some more testing tomorrow my dad said it could be some sort of feedback so I'll check all the speakers and wires, move them around. It's wierd, it's a lot worse on certain records like my Taxman but again it is mainly on the one side so I don't think it is due to record wear

I'll be ordering some new headshells soon too

is it both the decks or just the one deck distorting?
if your only getting distortion when two tracks are mixed together then surely it must be a problem with the mixer?
is there no distortion at all when playing a song flat, on its own on one deck?

It's on the one deck, the right one.

I can notice the difference with one track playing when I move it over and test it both sides.

I've tested on my soundforge and recorded both sides, the sound is more muffled from the right deck recording. I swapped the cartridges over and the sound is clear on the left side so that's telling me it's not the needle?

Thanks for your clear help :)

Is it definately not the gains? You're not going into the red on the meter? Trying turning down your Master volume and turning it up at the amp.

Err I could turn the gain up on the speakers and the master down on the mixer. I'll try that out thanks

Anyway one deck has a tone arm issue now, I bought my new headshells and they seemed to weight the same as the ones I got with the decks. Pop it on the right deck and it doesn't rest down even on the heaviest weight

How much does it cost to get a deck serviced? My dad's looking at it in his workshop but I don't know if he can fix it

Back
Top Bottom