Playing out for the first time

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
Just got an email saying I was selected for the "open decks" of an event this friday. I'm playing in the same night as Tantrum Desire, pretty excited. Any tips? I'm mostly concerned about stress of being on stage

tdnetfinal.jpg

jus get ya tunes togetether, be cool, relax, forget who is infront of ya and get in the mix, get to know ya equipment before u start doin double drops n this that and the other...

jus chill and enjoy, its the best feelin ever....nice one on baggin a set bro good luck.

Dont get fucked up before hand! I never touch anything before a set. Just have a red bull to get myself on the ball. Just savour the moment and for the first 2 - 3 mixes plan something you could do with your eyes closed

Good luck mate, let us know how it goes!

EHEHEHEHHEHEH THE FLYER SAYS "SEX 25"

Last edited:
i always used to get nervous on the first mix, get shakes when putting the needle on ect etc, but after the first couple mixes its the same is in your room. play it safe, and enjoy yourself!

do everything that these guys said + add in machete rewind for first track.

i always have a beer before i mix, just the one. its my thing.

bastard! where did you hear that extra super secret drop i was planning in the studio for weeks!? :teeth:

na but for real, just relax n have a good one mate! best of luck.

P.S. Is this an under 18 event? ;)

was never really a problem for me either, i still get ID'd for buying rizlas' now though! with the whole ''looking 25'' rule. psssh.

anyways back on topic yaa!

im no dj so i cant offer you any tips lol but i hope it all goes well for you mate!

your intro sounds pretty tasty, report back about how it went ;)

when I first started playing I'd always have a couple of pints before hand and that would stop me getting nervous but i never tried not having a couple of pints so who knows if it actually worked.. the best bit of advice i can think of is to totally syke ya self up 4 it.. get the adrenalin pumping and make sure ya got a big grin on ya face!! (afterall ur about to smash up the dance its gonna make u feel like superman when the tunes drop) and dont worry if you make a mistake just dont think about it and move on.. Good Luck!!

First events can go different ways... Your quickly learn when playing out wether or not a promoter has given you equipment that you can actually put to use. Regardless of how good anyone is, if you can't hear anythink then your fucked... Not too put you off.

All the other advice is brilliant so i wont repeat. :teeth:

The best advice in this thread is make sure YOU are having a good time. If your having a good time brockin out, everyone else will!

i was gonna make a post about 'first time playing out' because im playing for the first time at a dnb event where i live this saturday..i'm nervous as fuck, but should be alright..you've said some quite good things to take into account so thanks for that...o and rubs! good luck mate!

Just play a sick set man, get into it and drop some tunes you love.

As everyone has said, if you fuck up just sort it out and move on, and dance like a motherfucker. If you're having fun, they will.

EDIT: Just play a sick set sounds pretty stupid but just go with the flow, check what the dancefloor thinks of your tunes and take a load of bangers!

Last edited:
ALL good advice. Maybe get a couple of 'safe' mixes ready for if things don't go as well if you'd hoped. It nice to have a back up plan that you know works well just in case. It doesn't need to be a whole planned set, just a couple of mixes to get you through a rough patch, get your head straight and rebuild your confidence. And most of all enjoy it. Its a real buzz! Don't let the nerves get in the way of what is essentially an amazing feeling. And if you make mistakes always remember that 95% of the people there will be out of their heads and won't remember the mishaps anyway! This should calm your nerves a bit and when you're calmer you'll play better.#

Best of luck mate :2thumbs:

didn't go as well as I had planned, i was crashing a bit at the beginning since I was nervous but then caught up with the pace.. thing that fucked me the most was the fact that the technics decks had nothing to do with mine at home, so it was quite hard to keep up (although I could definitely see why their the best)

anyways, i managed to pop a couple of double drops and it was an enjoyable experience

Back
Top Bottom