Questions

za105

I'm planning on buying a new set of drums this summer in this US with the money I make off of a job (I live in China; going back for vacation) and have quite a few questions but I'll just ask a few of them now.

First of all I have a set of Zildjian cymbals already (hi-hat, ride, and crash) and some old nasty cymbals whose names I am not familiar with (Chinese brand I think) but I use two hi-hat pieces upside down for a nice sound and another hi-hat piece as a short high-pitched crash. So for cymbals I'm pretty much covered.

However, the drumset itself I want to remove and get a new nice one. It's a jin bao (Chinese brand) and not too nice, which is why I want a new one this summer.

First off, is anybody aware of how much it would cost to ship a drum set to China? Because I need to know if it would be worth it to buy a personalized drumset in the US and pay to have it shipped back or if I should just have my dad bring a Tama set (that a friend of a friend bought and is supposed to be good) across the border from Hong Kong. Personally I really want MY drumset, I like a choice, so I'll be willing to pay a good bit to have it shipped back but if it's too much then forget it and it'll be the Tama.

Second, which is better for heavy metal (that's mostly what my band plays), Pearl or Tama or is it a personal preference or different qualities?

Third, I hope to buy a drum mic kit when I'm back in the US as well for recording. Can anybody recommend a good set (for a 5-6 piece drumset which is what I plan on getting) or else a good site with cheap prices yet decent quality? And will a regular guitar-recording quality soundcard (like a Soundblaster Audigy) be able to record drums just fine as well? Or do we need a special soundcard?

Fourth, would it be possible to use one of the drum-kit mics to record vocals? That way we can save money and not have to buy another mike specifically for that.

Fifth, with a budget of 1000-1500 dollars (including shipping, mic kit, and soundcard) could I fit in double-bass hydraulic pedals and would it be worth it? I can play decently fast on our regular double-bass so even faster would be nice (and yeah I practice daily).

Sixth, can anybody name some really good sites for buying drum stuff where prices are good especially?

Thanks guys, I'll really appreciate it if some of you people reply (more than one preferably so I can get a range of opinions). This is all I have for now (I'm dead tired, g2 get some sleep).

Insidious - RWH

This is gonna get confusing!

On the subject of drum kits tho someone should build an amen drum kit, that'd be heavy heheh

erm. do u know what drum and bass is?
think u got the wrong kind of forum for that shit

Well from the title of this forum I would assume it is associated with drums and bass guitars? I guess I assumed wrong, could someone enlighten me as to the purpose of this forum?

Insidious - RWH

Back
Top Bottom