Using filters but peaks won't go away?

DanDnB

Bass and Drums
Help...

Reason 4.0, I got a Thor up that I am using to make sub bass.

I have 3 analog osc, sine, saw and square. Slightly detuned from eachother,

Two low passer ladder filters in both filter slots. All three osc go through them with a little soft clip.

Amp envelope is set to low attack and max decay and sustain with no release. There is no LFO active at the moment.

I have nasty peaks showing up at 258. I put TWO Mclass EQs in series and -18 db at 258 with a sharp shelf cut. PEAKS WONT F0CKING LEAVE ME.

Am I broken or are the filters not working? The signal is passing through the filters, I see the sound bars bounce on the filters when I hit a note.

By the way I'm using Visual Analyzer to see the peaks.

HELP

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I dont want to have to compress it and ruin my wonderful sound.

Last edited:
why not use your ears...
since when do you see sound...??

Thanks for the reply, I understand your point but I am still perplexed as to why the peaks wont dissappear after i filter them out.

The sound is irrelevant at this point, shouldnt the filters still be doing their jobs?

Thanks!

they should...

might sound like a dumb question but...
what order does the
analyzer appear in the chain...?
its after the filter/eqs
right...?

you could use a notch filter
to notch the peaks out..

Last edited:
they should...

might sound like a dumb question but...
what order does the
analyzer appear in the chain...?
its after the filter/eqs
right...?

you could use a notch filter
to notch the peaks out..

I am not understanding you... The analyzer is running outside of reason, it communicates through the actual sound card.

It is standalone, to describe in a better way.

On second thought it is a freeqare analyzer that is sorta cheap but it still works. My ears are telling me the peaks arent going away either...

why is everyone so scared of compression...??
dynamic processing is your friend...

specPLUS is the best standalone
analyzer ive used... really recommend
it... Flo put us onto it..

but i dont know...
reason is a piece of junk... try rewiring it
and using some notch filters...

why is everyone so scared of compression...??
dynamic processing is your friend...

specPLUS is the best standalone
analyzer ive used... really recommend
it... Flo put us onto it..

but i dont know...
reason is a piece of junk... try rewiring it
and using some notch filters...

Do you have a link to take me to specplus?

I have searched and not found it.

Reason isn't too bad :) It just has crappy filters. :(

try bouncing the sound then putting it in the nnxt and try filtering it then. i usually bounce my main sounds anyway to process them further, should be ok if you do that.

Or you could try the EQ on the vocoder, its better for taking out a certain area of the frequency spectrum once turned to 32 band

May sound obvious, but if your using the M-Class equaliser have you turned on the band your using? Theres a red light above each of the 4 bands.

Have you tried using a limiter? Can control the peaks and shouldn't effect the sound much.

If it was just a simple (ish) sub bass I would just low pass it below that point anyhow, but if that's not what you need then just use compression (or limiter, as suggested) If you set the threshold right you will only be compressing the peaks. I would think this problem is pretty much a textbook example of when to compress.

Awesome advice guys.
Really appreciated.

To answer folks,

@ dj-dusty, thats a good idea, i may just bounce it out as a wav and bring it back into the nnxt as a sample. Also, I almost always use a vocoder in tandem with Mclasses EQs because the vocoder offers greater precision (i was aware of that, but the mclass EQs are crap).

@motion, Ya the button be red!!

I guess I will use a compression limiter to get the peaks under control, funny thing is, I set my low pass ladders on the thor to 100 hz, but i see big peaks at 250 and 400 etc... Probably some resonance, I just dont know what those filters and the Mclasses fail.

Compression it is.

Back
Top Bottom