building it up....

Lucidproduction

i aint fraid of no ghosts
VIP Junglist
hello there production sektion

i was just wondering, if anybody here would be so kind as to share some secrets on there build ups and drops,

any synth techniques that add layers and noises to your build up before you drop tht shit???

specifically for me im looking to make a sort of noisey plane sound obviously phaserd but i dont know how to go about this without whippin out the samples

get some noise / detuned saws oscillator and filter it a bit, make the pitch glide up on the build up (y)

Agreed with everything on here. Experimentation is key. Try silence to rises with the most crazy sounds you can think off. Throw some phaser etc. Drum roll on top.. theres a million ways.

I'm finding that you just have to play with sounds/filters/phasers until you just find something that works. Hardest part of the song imo. Suddle changes in the beat does wonders too.

i often take a sound (usually audio) that has a big attack and a decent sustain. then, put the sound into an audio editor, fade out the end if needed and then simply reverse it. add a high-pass filter, and now you should have a sound that starts small and screams upward. obviously, a little more fidgeting is required to get it sounding right in your track, but its a super easy way to make a building sound.

the second tip i can share is to drop most of your sound out for the last few beats before "the wall." for example, instead of taking a kick roll all the way to the drop, pull out the last few, creating a break. this will make the drop seem so much stronger, and help you out until you can experiment a bit more. going back to the build sound above, this works well here also. stop the build 4 beats (or whatever) before the drop, and again the pause makes the drop hit harder...

The only thing I can suggests that hasn't already been mentioned is creating a cannon/drum roll effect. Starting off the build up with a drum roll on a snare (using varying dynamic hits) low in the mix compared to the rest of the beats then bring it up as the build up progresses. Then at the right intervals switch each element of the drum pattern to match the snare roll.

I also sometimes use long drum rolls, although rarely for the main drop. A similar effect already mention about building tension with a bar or too of silence at the end of the drop, slowing the beat down in the last two bars, giving the affect of the decks being turned off, can work really well too.

I think this ties into what sam was saying.

If you want to build up a lot of tension in a short amount of time. Throw an LFO in there (modulate freq filters or volume, or even panning) and slowly crank up the rate as the build progresses, it doesnt matter what you modulate as long as the RATE increases. And use common sense with this, think of the beat and the build. Dont just blindly crank up the rate, get a feel for what would really bring out some tension.

It doesnt hurt to try everything everyone else mentioned, and lastly, dont go overkill by stacking too much sh1t in the build, it will just get too cluttered. Focus on one or two really nasty layers and sprinkle in a snare roll, i think youre golden.

My 2 pennies.

yeah also buildups are kinda rinsed.
its like people arent being creative with their drops anymore.
try different techniques to make your drop huge.

im chatting bollox here but you dont always have to you a buildup

Back
Top Bottom