Drum patterns

cliX-

newb
I was never really into music making before I started learning FL so I would appreciate if someone could explain to me the thinking behind setting up a drum pattern. Until now I've just put random drums in the step sequencer until I think it sounds good.:rolleyes:

Btw does anyone know how to make a drum sound fade slower?

I was never really into music making before I started learning FL so I would appreciate if someone could explain to me the thinking behind setting up a drum pattern. Until now I've just put random drums in the step sequencer until I think it sounds good.:rolleyes:

Btw does anyone know how to make a drum sound fade slower?

If you want to make drum and bass, then you'll need to follow the strict rules for the most part... study the amen break and learn how to reproduce it. Study the other popular breaks. Listen to a lot of drum and bass and hear these patterns. Once you are able to reproduce these you can start to add little variations, this is where you can start to show off your creativity, innovation, style, and so on, but you need to be able to reproduce the basics before that, cos otherwise, it'll just sound like you threw random drums into the sequencer, no offence.

If you want to make drum and bass, then you'll need to follow the strict rules for the most part... study the amen break and learn how to reproduce it. Study the other popular breaks. Listen to a lot of drum and bass and hear these patterns. Once you are able to reproduce these you can start to add little variations, this is where you can start to show off your creativity, innovation, style, and so on, but you need to be able to reproduce the basics before that, cos otherwise, it'll just sound like you threw random drums into the sequencer, no offence.

what a load of poo!

you dont have to be able to reproduce other peoples breaks.
just experiment... its all about new idea's!

start playing a dnb tune in a media player in the backround(loop it) and emulate the pattern at the same time with FL.

get it to where you're beatmatching them like as if you were djing

The basic idea behind a groove is accenting certain places. James Brown said that in funk you always accent the first beat of the groove. It's really up to you what that accent will be, a crash, a kick drum, the snare at 2nd and 4th beat or something else than drums altogether. After all, rhythm is so much more than just drum patterns.

Simon V has a good explanation of your basic drum patterns at his website: http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/drum_patterns.php

It's all good and well to experiment like Solitude Beats here said, but it's really hard to come up with anything good with just random experimenting. Some people can create something like that but they're one in a million. It's about learning the rules to be able to bend them to your will.

Beatboxing is a pretty good way to figure out beats, fills and so on. It's easy to hit on nice grooves and then slow them down to see what's making them work.
Dunf, chikka dunf, chikka dunf dunf chikka chikkah!

Something that really helped me was to split a drum loop down into seperate samples, kik, snare, and then any highs or tamborines then once you have EQed em. recreate the drum beat you are looking for around the original beat. even though they say dont copy and experiment i find this the best way to learn and once you know how just improvise.

a sample pak that has sum amazing beats is dark combinations by snorting audio. 35.00 buks but definently worth it 4 dnb will never let u down.

Back
Top Bottom