studio discussion/pictures thread

I see you've got some decent equipment. But where's the acoustic treatment??? It is considered more important than your setup.

just got a Waldorf Pulse 2

virusti_pulse2.jpg

I've measured the room with a mic this week-end, with an REW-program, there are some holes in frequencies bla, but for me it's ok. The problem is there isn't much space up there (although the room is around 9m long), and I don't want that much absorbers and stuff, so I will deal with it. For me it's ok I guess, sound isn't my strength anyway haha. I think there is a little bit to much hall in the room, so I check for that later, small changes/diffusors or whats it called in english. There is only one turntable cause I never was into DJing, just listened to vinyls a long time ago, listened and produced much harder stuff than dnb before. And the cool/hard shit was on vinyl mostly :D

EDIT: the blue light can light in any color, controlled by a remote control, you can light/dim the colors/lighting, different programs bla. Costs around 40€, 30£ I guess. Looks like a rubberband with LEDs, no tube.

Last edited:
damn melophobie that looks nice, i'm a sucker for colored led "mood lighting" too and like what was said above, the arc gives the room this impressive symmetrical look. my place now is so small that everything is scrunched into tiny space. i end up with back pain everytime I spend a few hours working on music, that's how small of an area i'm working with. but there's hope - me n the wife have been house-hunting and our hoping to find a place that's still in town but gives us more room. man I'd love to have an area like you have. everything looks laid out perfectly like a spacious command center, everything is right there within reach. nice!

me and my wife just bought a house and moved, we have alot more space now and are only a 3 miles from downtown ATL. it's kinda in the hood but fuck it, i couldn't be happier. i have a springfield xdm with a 29 round mag of hollow points for anyone who wants to take my shit lol. anyway previously we were renting in an old place that was a real shit-hole, i had to stack my synths in this crammed corner next to the bed (see my last picture a couple posts up). now we're in a bigger place so i was able to buy a L-shaped desk and have an actual, spacious, proper area for music. i just put it together this past weekend. i'm hoping i can add a shelf on the longer side and move the JP-8000 there, then i can put my turntables and mixer where the JP currently is and i'd have all my music gear in one spot. i need monitors too, my current monitors i've had for 10+ years for dj'ing. they're active speakers and something with their amp messed up around 6 years ago so i've been producing with headphones ever since. a pair of Yamaha HS-series speakers is on the wish list, one day.

2015_01.jpg

2015_02.jpg

2015_03.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got monitors... a pair of Yamaha HS7's. I've been using Sony MDR-7506 headphones all this time. I have Behringer Truths in the other room with my turntables/mixer but one of the Behringer amps died around 7 years ago. I was torn between continuing to use headphones and get a Sub Phatty instead, I've wanted a Phatty for ever since the Little Phatty came out, or to finally get monitors. I don't have any room for another synth so that made the choice easier.

20151214_210055.jpg

new_monitors.jpg

Last edited:
My wife bought me a Moog Sub Phatty yesterday. Personally I love the sound of the Phattys more than vintage Moogs. I'd been wanting one ever since I first came across the Little Phatty Stage II several years ago. I wanted a Little Phatty or Slim Phatty but then the Sub Phatty came out and that one caught my eye even more, the sub oscillator and the knob-per-function layout (minus the hidden features). It sounds really great in combination with the Virus.

The only thing that kinda sucks is that I ran out of space in my desk area, so I had to replace the JP8000 with the Sub Phatty and put the JP8000 in our guest bedroom with my turntables/mixer/etc. I was hoping to find some type of really short keyboard stand so I can put the JP8000 underneath the table's surface where the Sub Phatty is. Does anyone know where I can find one that short - a stand that's only 15" tall?

Sub_Phatty1.jpg

This is my current setup, its taking a while to get here but the wait was worth it, ive got a car sub under the table for reference haha, a proper studio sub and a monitor controller is needed, the controller more so. Just switched over to logic x and the g5 i bought came with the current osx, which is terrible, slow and buggy, im gonna need to downgrade as it interrupts my workflow and vibe, killer.

20160122_143723.jpg

This is my current setup, its taking a while to get here but the wait was worth it, ive got a car sub under the table for reference haha, a proper studio sub and a monitor controller is needed, the controller more so. Just switched over to logic x and the g5 i bought came with the current osx, which is terrible, slow and buggy, im gonna need to downgrade as it interrupts my workflow and vibe, killer.

View attachment 5885

Nice! Yeah I'd definitely downgrade from El Capitan, it'll save you from headaches for sure. I'm running Logic Pro X on Yosemite with no problems at all. Do you have any problem running that car sub on a home audio amplifier? I vaguely remember that car audio is generally 4 ohms unless its bridged to even less resistance and home audio is 8 ohms so it might be running your amp twice as hard as it was built for possibly.

Nice! Yeah I'd definitely downgrade from El Capitan, it'll save you from headaches for sure. I'm running Logic Pro X on Yosemite with no problems at all. Do you have any problem running that car sub on a home audio amplifier? I vaguely remember that car audio is generally 4 ohms unless its bridged to even less resistance and home audio is 8 ohms so it might be running your amp twice as hard as it was built for possibly.

I have not had any problems so far. But thanks for the heads up! I dont think it gets as loud as it would be in a car but it still gets worked a bit. Im not that techy with electronics

The dark months loom so its time to get back into some production, so i thought id tidy up and buy some new gear... I bought the Push to try and avoid my usual programming workflow and learn some music theory and the circuit is a no brainer since its the ultimate step sequencer right now IMO. Next up is an update on the monitors... However im a little scared since ive had these a few years and maybe im finally getting used to the dodgy low end. (suggestions welcome £500)

Other bits...

Akai S01 sampler
Emu Audacity 2000
Waldorf Blofeld
Old Behringer Tube Composer
Yamaha REX50
maki ProFX 12

Softs...

Ableton Suite
FM8
Serum
And some Ipad/Android things... Pretty cool :)

ogvpk3.jpg

This was my first set up 4 years ago, LOL...

29mu9uo.jpg

Interested to see waht you guys are using now?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom