Total new guy here, Please help me.

ludvista29

Hey guys, I'm totally new to drum and bass production. I have been checking some of this music out and it really interests me. I'd love to start making some of my own music, but I have no idea where to start. I know a fair amount about recording programs etc., but I'm more of an Audio recording guy, not a producer. Can anyone help me on where to start. Sorry if this has been asked before. Also I have Ableton Live 7, Reason 4.0, Logic Pro 8 and a Midi Keyboard. Let me know if you want me to make my question a little more specific! Thank you so much!
Mike
Edit: I have no idea where to start. Are there like terms and stuff I should know, and what are some things that drum and bass music should have in it? I really have no idea what I'm doing at all. I just need a starting point. Also, can any of you recommend me some DnB to listen to??

Last edited:
There's definitely people who can help ya out on here. And yeah, narrow down the question abit to give 'em a startin' point on where to help ya out. I started usin Reason 3.0 in Janurary 2007, now up to Reason 4.0, but I'm such a novice still, not sure if I could help much in advice....pz & respect and good luck to ya'!

There's definitely people who can help ya out on here. And yeah, narrow down the question abit to give 'em a startin' point on where to help ya out. I started usin Reason 3.0 in Janurary 2007, now up to Reason 4.0, but I'm such a novice still, not sure if I could help much in advice....pz & respect and good luck to ya'!
hahaha alrighty man thanks.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea where to start. Are there like terms and stuff I should know, and what are some things that drum and bass music should have in it? I really have no idea what I'm doing at all. I just need a starting point.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay!
Drum n Bass Production is an awesome style of music to learn to produce that will test your abilities!
All the best!

A few things you could do.
1. Pick one sequencer to use. Learn it well.
2. Read Read Read! Sound on Sound mag. Computermusic mag.
Futuremusic Mag etc.
3. Watch the videos. CM/FM etc do great videos with DnB Headz
all the time. Youtube that shit etc.
4. Dogsonacid.com/grid check it out if only for the Q&A sessions.
Brilliant.
5. Do all steps 1-4 again. You will pick it up quite fast i'm sure.

Ez bruv.

also check this Q&A out with NZ's new goldenboy Cern

http://sydneyfriction.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=7669&18

Peace out.

Billy Krush
myspace.com/dauntlessdnb
www.dnbbeats.com

first things first u shud have the bpm between 165 - 185.

Yeah man, the amen breaks in jungle tunes are usually around 165-170 or so range..the breaks in liquid, etc., around 170-175 or so, jump up can be around 175 and up..if you're just starting out, grab some sample packs with pre-made breaks in them...you can switch 'em up here in there if they're rex files for the breaks. If the breaks are in wav format, get Recycle by Propellerhead, the same folks who make Reason, so you can change the wav into a rex file.

Some packs/refills I use:
[Reason Refill] Zero-G Jungle Warfare 1
[Reason Refill] Zero-G Jungle Warfare 2
[Reason Refill] Zero-G Jungle Warfare 3
D&B 4 The Headz
EZ Rollers Drum&Bass Refill
David Carbone DNB
Nu:Tone sample pack
Danny Byrd sample pack
Repulsive sample pack (breaks,strings,bass,etc..)

among others...the Jungle Warfare ones have some nice amen breaks in rex format that you can chop up, make 'em into your own sound, etc..those will help ya get your feet wet so to speak, as the samples for the breaks are usually labeled with their bpm...enjoy!

P.S. you can go onto loopmasters.com and sample stuff to see if ya want to purchase,etc., know what you're gettin' ahead of time basically..pz

Yeah man, the amen breaks in jungle tunes are usually around 165-170 or so range..the breaks in liquid, etc., around 170-175 or so, jump up can be around 175 and up..if you're just starting out, grab some sample packs with pre-made breaks in them...you can switch 'em up here in there if they're rex files for the breaks. If the breaks are in wav format, get Recycle by Propellerhead, the same folks who make Reason, so you can change the wav into a rex file.

Some packs/refills I use:
[Reason Refill] Zero-G Jungle Warfare 1
[Reason Refill] Zero-G Jungle Warfare 2
[Reason Refill] Zero-G Jungle Warfare 3
D&B 4 The Headz
EZ Rollers Drum&Bass Refill
David Carbone DNB
Nu:Tone sample pack
Danny Byrd sample pack
Repulsive sample pack (breaks,strings,bass,etc..)

among others...the Jungle Warfare ones have some nice amen breaks in rex format that you can chop up, make 'em into your own sound, etc..those will help ya get your feet wet so to speak, as the samples for the breaks are usually labeled with their bpm...enjoy!

P.S. you can go onto loopmasters.com and sample stuff to see if ya want to purchase,etc., know what you're gettin' ahead of time basically..pz
thanks man, I believe I already have the Zero- G Refills. I'll have to look into them a little more. Is there anyway I could use those loops in ableton live?

thanks man, I believe I already have the Zero- G Refills. I'll have to look into them a little more. Is there anyway I could use those loops in ableton live?

Found this on the Ableton site...I don't have it myself, so did a quick look up for ya:

http://www.ableton.com/suite-8

Totally compatible
Live works seamlessly with controller hardware and assigning custom MIDI controls is simple. Live supports AIFF, WAV, MP3, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC files, VST and AU effects and instruments. Live can handle REX files and runs as a ReWire Master or Slave, so it works nicely alongside other DAWs like Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase or Reason. And if you have a multicore or multiprocessor system, Live supports that, too.

hahaha sweet man. I'm just gonna have to figure out how to open the refills without reason running. I shouldnt have even had you look, I feel like an ass hahahah

Thank you very much guys! Any artists I should check out?

KEMAL AND ROB DATA AKA KONFLICT(THE FUCKING ALL TIME MASTERS)

axiom
ed rush and optical
phace
noisia
spor
trace
feirce
mishanthrop
andy c
digital
optiv
black sun empire
teebee
calyx
loxy
ink
total science
matrix
futurebound
shimon
logistics
high contrast
ltj bukem

and any 1 on here that makes dnb

just to name a few

hahaha sweet man. I'm just gonna have to figure out how to open the refills without reason running. I shouldnt have even had you look, I feel like an ass hahahah

haha, naw man, no worries. I'm just hangin' at the house, got time on my hands right now, lol..I'm not sure about the openin' the refills without running reason..maybe you can look it up, so you won't fill like an ass if I do, lol, jk. But yeah man, i'm just a Reason 4.0 person, never really got into the other programs to be honest..mainly because of funds, and I just enjoy toyin' with Reason.

haha, naw man, no worries. I'm just hangin' at the house, got time on my hands right now, lol..I'm not sure about the openin' the refills without running reason..maybe you can look it up, so you won't fill like an ass if I do, lol, jk. But yeah man, i'm just a Reason 4.0 person, never really got into the other programs to be honest..mainly because of funds, and I just enjoy toyin' with Reason.
mehhh, its impossible on a mac. :/
and thanks to the other guy for the recommendations!

Random producers I listen to regularly:

Lenzman
Random Movement
Marky
S.P.Y.
Lomax
Dillinja
A-Sides
Calibre
Human Factor
Sigma
Spectrasoul
Electrosoul System
Eveson
BCee
LAOS
Blame
Bungle
Atlantic Connection
LTJ Bukem
Brookes Brothers
Chase & Status
Commix
Shy FX
Original Sin
Taxman
Dirty Harry
General Malice
Lemon D
Icicle & Switch
Breakage

etc...

various styles...

you certainly have the tools thats for sure. i generally come up with 16 - 32 bar loops and phrases, breaks, pads basslines ect in Reason - then i simply export them one at a time (solo) into a folder as 24 / 16bit Wav files. then i open them all up on individual tracks in the sequencer, in your case: Logic

it would look something like this:

track 1: Bass 1
track 2: Bass 2
track 3: kick 1
track 4. kick 2
track 5: snare 1
track 6: snare 2

and so on.
its not uncommon in drumnbass production to have 12 tracks for the drums - 5 bass tracks - 3 FX tracks and so on.

most songs are just extended from an original 32 / 64 bar segment. from here you can cut, copy, paste the main body of the track in to 4 -5 mins of audio.

i highly reccommend Logistics tutorials on youtube, and the Chase & Status ones. Sub focus has some out there i believe too. the net is full to the brim of info for production.

read up on understanding EQ (within a composition of course) - this will do you wonders. theres one on 36 Hertz.com (DJ Vapours site) and its brilliant on this subject.
infact that whole site is brilliant and what come out of those boys studios. check em!

As I've recently started to produce d'n'b too, I also got some questions.

I just can't make interesting tracks (yet). I am trying everything, but can't make them to feel complete, with lot of details and keep them interesting.

So question is, how you keep your tracks interesting (for example jump-up style d'n'b), how often in song you change something with main synth? With that you start first, when create your tune and how you build it up till it's finished?

As I've recently started to produce d'n'b too, I also got some questions.

I just can't make interesting tracks (yet). I am trying everything, but can't make them to feel complete, with lot of details and keep them interesting.

So question is, how you keep your tracks interesting (for example jump-up style d'n'b), how often in song you change something with main synth? With that you start first, when create your tune and how you build it up till it's finished?

Tbh..there's not definite "formula" for a tune...just go with what ya feel as you're workin' on the tune. Listen to tunes often and feed off of them as to ideas and structure of tracks that you would like to work with, etc..it just boils down to what makes you happy with the finished product. Don't stress makin' everyone happy, because not everyone likes the same sound. Just flow with it bro..pz & respect

Also just started with producing. I would recommend u taking a look at reasonstation.net. There u can download whole song arrangments as rns/rps files. Gives u good overview, how advanced producers layer their kicks, snares etc. and effecting it.

u can use whole Reason stuff in Ableton by rewiring it, ableton will record it as audio traces. Works pretty nice. Maybe this is a good choice to make ur dnb lines with Reason, chopping and slicing breaks in Dr.Rex or using many DnB refills and making tunes with vsti in Ableton.

Here is a nice link to a whole song and single Breaks to download and play around with in Reason. Helped me a lot

http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/

Asking for some nice dnb i have to recommend u

LTJ Bukem - Logical Progression I, just timeless, Metalheadz, Goldie Saturn Returns, u instantly will get addicted :)

@areor

first impression i think is most important in music, i will rather concentrate on finding/creating 2 or 3 good harmonizing sounds, put in few traces in a sequencer and develop a basic bounding tune, already now ur song should sound interesting. Dont overrate details and effects to much.

Hear some classical music, piano solos for example, u get a good feeling how interesting tunes are developing on tone scales and velocity changes.

Back
Top Bottom