Total new guy here, Please help me.

i use ableton live 7 for all my production matey.... ther are samples and loops all oveer the place that u can use for if u just wanna get to grips with the software before you really start to think about ur tunes...
look on www.looperman.com for some loops u can just have a furkle around live with...
if u decide to use live and u reali get stuck man just message me and ill try and help u out

i would certainly agree with most everything on here. on a more basic level, there are a few things i think are important. first, listen to tons and tons of dnb to get a feel for the sequencing/phrasing/timing of dnb. second, decide how you want to approach your tracks. i know a lot of guys like to start with beats, but i like to just throw a kick and snare together (or just a real basic break sample) and try to dial in a synth or bass hook. i find the drums go faster that way, as it is really easy to hear if they fit if the main hook is already rolling.

the only other thing i can think (that i wish i was told from the beginning) is that your drums need about 500 times the amount of layers that you THINK they need. by this i mean, get a beat rolling, and add to it until you think it sounds full. then add several more layers. trust me.

Last edited:
No one here mentioned Concord Dawn?

Tisk tisk!!

Ludvista, you already have the right tools to start.

If I were you, I would open up some rex files and listen to the DnB rex's. Those helped me a lot to get an idea of what DnB should sound like, roughly.

Also, LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN to DnB. I listen to DnB everyday, on the way to work, on the way back, during work, at night.... Your mind starts to think that way and you start to get accustomed to that style of music.

Practice, experiment. Don't be afraid of sounds, use them, ANY SOUND.

Some people think that certain sounds should go into certain songs etc... A myth, in actuality, some of the best songs used new sounds or sounds that were never used in that genre. Just experiment.

Back
Top Bottom