HOW TO BASSLINE Thread

This, is an awesome thread! I can't believe it has taken me this long to join this forum!
There are absolutely amazing ideas and guidance on here. Defo gonna have to take another read of this when I get home. I think I've got some studying to do over the weekend.
Thanks everyone!

Well, I actually sat down read all 25 pages over the course of today... A couple of ideas for processing that I'll have to try out. Props to everyone that took the time to write out the long posts!

Some quality links as well. Haven't got around to reading/watching most of them, but they're bookmarked for later.

I've been at a point where I can create the sounds that I want for a while, but I'm struggling to get the movement. Anyone got any ideas as to how to create that twisted sweeping sound that Calyx & Teebee used to use a lot? I know they use a lot hardware, but in theory you should be able to at least attempt to create something similar with soft-synths and processing.

I'm sure everyone knows C&T but example...
http://youtu.be/yUIN5e1iZsk?t=1m18s

Well, it's not Calyx & Teebee, but this kind of setup makes for some interesting movement...

xKFfN4d.png

This one's coupled with a bandpass that opens up as you boost macro 1 as well as the pitch cutoff being jacked up to give it a bit more presence because it's one oscillator vs. two and it sounded a bit weedy. I've tried a couple of different wavetables in place of kangaroo and you can really get some interesting sounds going. :D

Has anyone been playing around with FM/phase/ring modulation modulations?

I got a nice effect using AM on all oscillators of a reece, modulation amount up the max, with a pulse wave as the mod and putting an envelope, attack~1s on the pulse width.
Also, detuning the modulators and messing with the detune amount
And putting the mod amount on same macro as filter cutoff.

Can anyone tell me what Kove does in this awesome track with his bass? (starting at 1:05). I feel like there is hundreds of videos on reese bass and stuff like that, but how do I make a deep rolling bass like Kove does? Is this just a distorted sine with lfo on? How does he make it sound so fucking rich? When the track "drops" it feels like a huge wave of sound hitting me on every frequency. When I play a sub bass and a second sine wave one octave above that it doesn't sound anything like it, way weaker...

Can anyone help me out? :)

Similar question to the one ^above on deep, rolling reece's: How do you make the bass in this (below) track by Fre4knc? Sounds so high but yet lowpased at the same time? Clean yet distorted? Is this just due to the key he is playing in? Thoughts?

Thanks, anyone who can give me an insight is a legend. Not too much to it, but there's probably one or two crucial things i'm missing when I try and replicate it.

Last edited:
ever heard of the term layering?

just sub and highs for the crunchyness. scooped to no mids give it that dirty sound

ever heard of the term layering?

just sub and highs for the crunchyness. scooped to no mids give it that dirty sound

I've tried this, will have another go. I dont think its a case of scooping the mids, after looking at the track in a frequency analyser i'd say it's more likely to have to do with some resonant peaks and a lowpass plus saturation that gives this bass it's particular flavour. Though admitedly I don't know, which is why i'm asking.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what Kove does in this awesome track with his bass? (starting at 1:05). I feel like there is hundreds of videos on reese bass and stuff like that, but how do I make a deep rolling bass like Kove does? Is this just a distorted sine with lfo on? How does he make it sound so fucking rich? When the track "drops" it feels like a huge wave of sound hitting me on every frequency. When I play a sub bass and a second sine wave one octave above that it doesn't sound anything like it, way weaker...

Can anyone help me out? :)

There is a strong possibility that this is a sine wave with 2 notes being triggered at the same time - i.e say an F and then F# being held together. Other than using an LFO this will create some nice movement.

Best things that I have learnt about bassline is to use separate tracks for sub (20-80hz) and for the reese. The best way to make a good reese is not about any specific VST nor the technique. It's about reprocessing the sound to meet your requirements. For example resampling or adding some efx (flanger, chorus, phaser, effetrix)

Hope that helps somebody :ahmed:

Best things that I have learnt about bassline is to use separate tracks for sub (20-80hz) and for the reese. The best way to make a good reese is not about any specific VST nor the technique. It's about reprocessing the sound to meet your requirements. For example resampling or adding some efx (flanger, chorus, phaser, effetrix)

Hope that helps somebody :ahmed:

I absolutely agree man! But the thing with the sub. i also often do this, but sometimes it feels for me that it's not necessary, because some bass sounds (reece, harmonic, whatever) have a really clear an nice sub bass. So for me it feels that's not necessary to put a sine sub beneath it. Does anyone agree?

I absolutely agree man! But the thing with the sub. i also often do this, but sometimes it feels for me that it's not necessary, because some bass sounds (reece, harmonic, whatever) have a really clear an nice sub bass. So for me it feels that's not necessary to put a sine sub beneath it. Does anyone agree?

Sometimes, but it's a rarity you have a sound that has movement/grit or whatever and ALSO has a clean sub.
Usually replacing with a 'proper' one, just tightens up the entire mix overall. You'll also find far more impact in a track (when in a club environment) than you would by just using the original sub sound.
Squares are good also, y'know.... its not JUST about about sine's lol. Mix it up if you like. Add an octave higher for extra harmonics? Just don't do something silly to your sub like reverbing it etc. Within reason, do as you please? If you have a good, flat and clear representation of the sound via your system, then anything goes really. As long as it just 'sounds' good!

Back
Top Bottom