New ravey tune - with backstory!

MerylStryfe

Tune:
Meryl Stryfe - Badman Weekend Revival (Musical Science Has Only Come So Far)
http://www.dnbshare.com/download/yl...ival_MusicalScienceHasOnlyComeSoFar_.mp3.html

Okay, here's the story:

I was working on this tune like six months ago, and I had gotten everything from the first breakdown to the end done. I exported an mp3 and sent it to some friends. Then my laptop died.

I just got the mp3 back now, so I decided to try to chop it up and make an intro for it. I apologize about the quality, I hadn't done any mastering on the mp3, and there's not a whole lot I can do about it now.

What do you think? :)

The bass is nice when it kicks in, and the distorted type second synth sounds nice as well... The little pitched breaks are quite funky too. The synths are good, especially the first wobbly one.

but...

The intro is way too long/bare... You have the right idea that the tune builds up but there is nothing to mix/tease with. Recently on one of the Hospital Records podcasts (the democast?), London Elektricity was talking how intros should be short and to the point - listen to Cyantific - Disconnected as an example. If its going to be a long intro, then it should have a lot going on, e.g. Taxman - Scandarker or Q-Project - Credit Crunch as it gives the DJ something to mix with. A great example of a long intro with plenty to play with is High Contrast - Basement Dub or Original Sin - Cheater Cheater.

The beat is pretty solid and after it drops there is a nice swing to it. But again there isn't an awful lot going on, there seems to be too much space. You could try filling it out with a high-passed amen or something to fill the gaps.

All in all i'd say that it is definitely a good effort, just quite bare and needs filling out with some vocal samples, riffs etc... but it does build up quite well towards the end of the tune. After the secondish drop at about 3:20 you really need some sub bass to give things a bit of oomph. I do like how it all switches up at that point though, not many tunes seem to develop after the second drop.

Back
Top Bottom