KIDS JUST DONT BUY MUSIC ANYMORE

can't remember the last time i downloaded music illegaly. no matter what genre.

actually, it was probably the ting tings album, that shit is hot.

Tell me about how it was back in the day.
Sam me be young as am I, but the difference even in the last few years has been imense. There used to be five record shops near where I lived. Now there are two (and they are HMV's). That has happened in a time frame of six years! Even in London where I used to go for big shops of records and CD's, only the biggest and most popular independents are surviving such as BM.

I fucking hate the fact that a thread about kids nicking music is being used by some to slag off cd decks. We were talking about kids not young djs. As for vinyl vs mp3, if you buy five tunes for a quid each or one slab of vinyl for five quid, you favourite producer will be getting as much money if not more from your purchase, you'll have more tunes and you'll be doing your bit for the environment. I buy some vinyl to display as artwork, but listen to and play 320 kbs mp3 (when I'm not ripping cds I've bought).
Gotta say I agree with this.
I use downloads now but I have paid for every one and estimate to have spent around £200 on them!!!
As long as its legal and the artist gets the money its fine.
People say they don't get as much money but I dissagree because people DL more than they will buy vinyl as its expensive.
There are no production/ distribution costs for the artist/ label.
And its good for the environment:teeth:
As for people who download illegaly:sniper:

EDIT: However, I will admit as Noize first posted DLing wether legal or illegal is not the same as visiting a record shop.
But on the other hand it has its own quirks and advantages.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would die if ithere was a record shop near me.
i would spend all my money on vinyl..and not on food

Banquet Records (Kingston) has a pretty good DnB range and it's not too far from you.

I over heard these kids on the bus the other day talking about music in terms of how many gigs that had, one said he downloaded 3 gigs of Hip Hop over the holidays. No way can any one listen to and appreciate 3gs of music in 2 weeks! Similar to something I said in another thread, but when music is free the listener is less discerning. When you have to pay for music, you're careful what yu buy.

Since i've starting DJing i don't think i'll stop buying vinyl for a while.

It's such a good feeling getting the money, choosing vinyl, and then owning that little piece of glory that you can play. LOVE IT.

Used to download some stuff illegally, but normally it was as a tester, and i'd buy the cd if i liked it.

Its not just the music industry that is suffering...

I work for a graphic design company who design and print movie dvd covers and computer games...
...because of everyone downloading rather than buying...we have to to the work cheaper for the clients and therefore earn less...the company are making redundancies left right n centre...its totally fukd!!

I fucking hate the fact that a thread about kids nicking music is being used by some to slag off cd decks. We were talking about kids not young djs. As for vinyl vs mp3, if you buy five tunes for a quid each or one slab of vinyl for five quid, you favourite producer will be getting as much money if not more from your purchase, you'll have more tunes and you'll be doing your bit for the environment. I buy some vinyl to display as artwork, but listen to and play 320 kbs mp3 (when I'm not ripping cds I've bought).

I have the same view as you, exactly the same. I got 2 1210s mk3s and 2 cdj800s, and buy like 10 mp3s every week, i own so much material now its awesome. Still well prefer mixing vinyl but its just too costly imo.

Downloading torrents etc is just too easy and too tempting, especially with massive download speeds and unlimited download limits, its gota to be expected. Its a war that artist will never be able to over come, its harsh but true.

long live vinyl! i'd be well f'd off if they ever stopped pressing dnb tunes!

I always download albums illegally, give them a listen.

But then if I like the album I'll go out and buy it.

If I like a few songs, I'll buy them off iTunes if possible, or try to find mps to buy off the net.

My CD collection is probably my proudest possesion.

Got roughly 500 CDs, ranging from Reggae to Metal, Hip Hop to Rock and the odd bit of DnB.

Started buying a lot of vinyl recently as well, can't mix, so I just play it on the record player I nabbed off my parents :)

Luckily enough i've got a record shop round the corner that i realised isn't to be taken for granted after missioning it to BM one day only to find out that every tune on our lists could be "ordered in" and wasn't in stock.

It has got easier to download music online but as a result of this surely artists are getting more recognition as well. its a lot easier to listen to a new band/artist online than go to a shop and pick out there CD and buy it...people have an aversion to spending money on things that could go either way.

Still, nothing beats going into a record shop, grabbing a bunch of vinyl and spending time listening to them before deciding on the ones you want..

A lot of people are missing out if they've never given vinyl a try. It may be 5, 6 or 7 pounds for two tunes but at the end of the day im willing to pay it.

CD cannot compare to vinyl anyday its a completely different experience in total so GO OUT AND GET SOME VINYL :D

All I'm saying is CD decks offer a shortcut to DJing free music and a lot of people with lesser morals than yourself are taking advantage of that.

Not gonna lie, if I had CD decks I would be playing music I downloaded on the free too.

I use Vinyl and live in Gloucester but often have a little trip to Bristol to go to chemical and buy some tunes instead of getting them on net. I enjoy going there and listening to it there before buying it. I know you can listen on the net to but this ways more fun.

I only really buy vinyl know and the odd CD pack but rest I just download. Last CD pack I actually bought was Westfest 07 which was like in March 08 I think.

Can see what you mean and it is better that way but its just the way things are today.

i dont care about the units sold any of that.

its just the point of having music on a solid format and having it as a possession that u can hold.
seeing loads of people in record shops digging or going into mad shops looking what old records they mite have lieing about
mates meeting up on a saturday to go buy vinyls, or go buy there favorite bands new cd, thats the music culture part, that whole feel

its just the point of having music on a solid format and having it as a possession that u can hold.
seeing loads of people in record shops digging or going into mad shops looking what old records they mite have lieing about
mates meeting up on a saturday to go buy vinyls, or go buy there favorite bands new cd, thats the music culture part, that whole feel

i agree, its more of an experience. i download stuff, but im strict with it. it has to be 320kbps or im not interested in it unless its proper rare. i want quality, and thats why i pay for it.

another point is that sitting in front of your computer downloading everything does take alot of fun out of it, the experience of getting new music. if your into sample collecting/making then you will always be picking up vinyl cos theres so much rare old bits knocking about, all the lil jems that simply cannot be downloaded, and if you can, at what quality rate? shit most likely.

then again if your skint, downloading is a godsend.

you will always have 2 sides of the fence and the die hard vinyl junkies like myself just wont give that up ever.

good pooint some had earlier about the kiddies just downloading any old kack quality just to stick on there tinny, shitty phones and annoy the rest of the world.

theres alot of pros and cons to all this eh

Amen to that oli, i dont remember anyone at that age who didnt get a kick out of missionin to brum on a skateboard with 100 mates to buy bare cds from tempest

(before i found the underground cavern with uncle lee huddled behind the counter caressing his dinnerplates :not_worth )

now so many years later im back in there with the same people buying vinyls to mix, but the rest of the shop is always DEAD nowadays.

now all the lucky children are sat at home with 10mb broadband, enuff torrent sites, their xbox 360 online and a silver spoon rammed down their gullets.

FIXED ON FRIDAY NOIZE?

I download music of lots of different sites some free some not but i get that so i can just listen to it of my computer, it doesnt stop me buying the same song on vinyl.

I download music of lots of different sites some free some not but i get that so i can just listen to it of my computer, it doesnt stop me buying the same song on vinyl.

thats not so much the arguement he started the thread over. i know m,ost vinyl dj's do that anyway, its like testing the tune out before uve handed over the money for it, fine.

we're more on about generally, not so much the dj's and the cd / vinyl war, this is completely different.

if you spent 6 months finishing an album off with artworks / bonus material etc, only to find some fucker has leaked it onto the internet before youve finished the final release, i think you would be pretty pissed off.

the idea that kids are no longer sat in their bedrooms with a cd rack crammed of official cd, getting free posters inside and extra dvds n shit, the stuff that makes a cd worth buying, not just worth a download of 15 mp3s in a torrent file.

Back
Top Bottom